Is cycling clean?

Eldron

Jan 24, 2002
This topic has probably already been mushed to a pulp but the Vandenbrouke saga highlighted it again a few weeks back.

Whadya say? Clean/Not clean?

Personally I think everyone is on something - maybe not the hardcore stuff like Nandrolene and EPO but 'juice' of some description. What's this connection with Armstrong and Calf's blood? Weird.

Recently heard they're going to test cyclists off season now - fine plan. I reckon plenty doping gets done in the off season and it's gone by the time racing starts...

Yeah cycling gets a bad rap for doping - only because they test the athletes. Other sports are deemed clean because they don't bother to collect evidence.

Show me another sport that raids team hotels at 6am.....

Guys, dont worry about the Pro's. They will be caught but the problem is that the local PPA Funriders is using Ephedrine (25gr per tablet). Its not expensive. Will cost you about R129 for 60. How do I know. I was offered 2 pills at the Ninety Niner AND for the Argus. I did not take it but my buddy, who took it, was flying. Maybe just had a good race, but speaking to him afterwards, he told me that he could feel a difference. He could feel his body temp. rises and he was started to experience increase heart beat. This stuff is freely available over the counter at the local chemist. It's not a "illegal" under the counter product. You walked into the chemist, took it from the shelf, pay and off you go.

sounds too me like your buddy is a bit of a looser ;). Drugs like that will harm your body in the long term. Did you tell him you think he's being stupid? you owe him that much.

Guys, dont worry about the Pro's. They will be caught but the problem is that the local PPA Funriders is using Ephedrine (25gr per tablet). Its not expensive. Will cost you about R129 for 60. How do I know. I was offered 2 pills at the Ninety Niner AND for the Argus. I did not take it but my buddy, who took it, was flying. Maybe just had a good race, but speaking to him afterwards, he told me that he could feel a difference. He could feel his body temp. rises and he was started to experience increase heart beat. This stuff is freely available over the counter at the local chemist. It's not a "illegal" under the counter product. You walked into the chemist, took it from the shelf, pay and off you go.

Yep its found in most cold and flu medication, anyone can buy them, if you were ever tested you would be positive though.

You can get a lot of performance enhancers, Ephedrine included, at the local GNC. I think some of the performance enhancing stuff is legal too. In fact, Ed Burke recommends Creatine supplements for serious riders. My cousin, a bodybuilder, takes a lot of the stuff they sell at GNC. He is also thinking of takin Ephedrine. Do you know of any side effects this drug may have?

Nicholas, the problem is that a lot of cyclist use ephedrine and he is just one of them. Its like telling you to stop smoking or drinking. You cannot "force" someone to not use ephedrine or whatever is available. Goverment should have law in place to make any harmfull drug a type of schedule item and can only be sold if a doctor prescribe.
Altwegg - All the bodybuilders use the stuff. The problem is that they dont stick to the prescribed qty tablets. You'll find ephedrine in all the bodybuilders musculer products. Go to a search engine and search on ephedrine. It's all there.

altweg said:
Do you know of any side effects this drug may have?

FDA statement on street drugs containing botanical ephedrine FDA is warning consumers not to purchase or consume phedrine-containing dietary supplements with labels that often portray the products as apparent alternatives to illegal street drugs such as "ecstasy." Possible adverse effects of ephedrine range from clinically significant effects such as heart attack, stroke, seizures, psychosis, and death, to clinically less significant effects that may indicate the potential for more serious effects (for example, dizziness, headache, gastrointestinal distress, irregular heartbeat, and heart palpitations). Ingredient panels on these products may list ma huang, Chinese ephedra, ma huang extract, ephedra, Ephedra sinica, ephedra extract, ephedra herb powder, or epitonin, all of which indicate a source of ephedrine.
from

http://gareth.membrane.com/leflawnet/ephedrine/whatis.html

Thanks for the info Nicholas :)

Can you believe than, with all those negative side effects, Ephedrine is sold in the mall through the GNC stores here? Boo!

Ephedrine and the derivitives mentioned above are used as a 'pick me up' in most commercial cold and 'flu remedies. In small quantities (the recommended doses on the box) they're pretty harmless. It's exceess that's the problem.

Same as anything I guess. I'm a big fan of the UCI's 'healthy' approach - not banning all drugs but setting limits on levels. That way all the athletes can take part on an equal basis (no advantage through naturally high testosterone haemocrit etc). If only the actual was like the theory.

That raises the question: What would make you feel better inside?

A 2hr55 Argus on "speed", or a 3hr45 Argus by blood, sweat and tears?

For you and I there is no glory in winning if we cheated - for a pro winning a classic or even a small tour means not having to worry about finances ever again.

Unfortunately it all comes down to money these days - sad cos I think it contributes to the new 'boring' style of winning tours.

Bring on the classics that are fought tooth and nail from start to finish. Did anyone watch the Milan San Remo? Not a dull moment in 280km....

This is what US Postal Service doctor Luis Grcia Del Moral said during a conference in Spain:
"As a rule of thumb, you can say that if a substance is not prohibited, it should not be considered to be doping"

His colleague José Luis Barrios said:
Races like the Tour are too aggressive, they are killing cyclists. Nobody does anything because they prefer that the cyclists suffer rather than put a limit on the lenght of racing and the nature of the event. What we have to do is limit the physical damage to the body as far as we can. In this way, the athlete can have a healthy life after his career. A mountain stage is more harmful to a cyclist than the therapeutic use of certain banned substances

Source: Cycle Sport, April 2002.

is cycling clean?: is it ****.

if off season testing is introduced - its a ****ing joke that it isn't already standard - don't expect virenque to win on basteille day and expect lots more "withdrawals" from major tours, i.e. casagrande and the vuelta.

i would love to get to the level where i could race but i don't think i could keep up without "assistance". i understand why these guys do it - they're afraid of being dropped by the peleton and who wants to be the first to come clean?

Cycling like all sports are rife with products like nandrolone, dianabol and the such that speed up recovery time. Any one who pushes weight for sport or just even plays sport wants a fast recovery time. Still only the stupid get caught (or dont have enough cash to pay for the latest booster think THG for example it took some time to even know it existed let alone test for it)
Product like ECA (ephedrine, cafine and asprin) are well to dangerous for sports like cycling and running because of the amount of fluids lost during racing, and any way were not bodybuilders who need that <5% body fat.
And for those who do so wnat to take them, I sugest you do your homework on the topic, and i dont meen look at a couple of sites and think its easy **** i've seen the evils of steroid use. The post cycle crash can do wonders to your life...
I find it easy enough just eating right sleeping and exercising correctly...
Its hard to educate the younger males now because of this body immage **** from the modern media, i've seen enough 16-18 year old on cycle and christ if they dont have enough test going through their bodys (which when mixed with alcohol leads to a fun party and broken nuckles all round, left a venue that always had 18-21 birthdays sick of fighting little kids)
The urge to win is great, times are getting shorter riders are getting stronger every one wants to shave that thousandths of a second of their time and on that there is no way for sport to be totaly clean.
The only option 2 classes just like bodybuilding, class a the ones who are drug free and want to stay that way and class 2 the huge muscular freeks who shoot 1mg of test a week and eat dbols like candy.