Is cycling clothing too loose/short?

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
Are you happy with the fit of cycling clothing? Or do you feel that no manufacturer is doing it right?

This is to all the "skinny/tall" riders, particularly. If you are a competitive/performance based cyclist such as myself, you are likely on the 'lean' side, eh? But what if you are tall? Do you buy small sizes to keep the tight fit on jerseys/jackets, or do you buy larger sizes so that your wrists aren't naked and you lower back isn't showing?

I'm not even all that skinny, 6'2" and 180lbs. What about the pro roadies who are my height and 150-160lbs? (there's MANY of them)

If you know of any manufacturers that offer a tight racing fit for tall riders, please list them.

I know you have slanted this toward tall, lean cyclists, but try finding decent clothing for short riders.

Especially frustrating is trying to find tights with zippers that fit the lower leg properly, or shorts that don't come down over the knee.

If you are muscular, you'll need a medium, but this will inevitably make them too long! :(

I've never owned any of the uber-pricey stuff, such as Assoss and 2XU, but from affordable stuff, my favourite brand is Nalini, followed slightly distantly by Vermarc. I find that Nalini conform much more to my 'dynamic' contours (biggish booty and thighs, and a relatively small waste) better than other brands.

Some brands that don't 'agree' with me are Giordana, GSG and Santini.

As far as long stuff goes, I'm tipping some pros get custom bibs; also, some brands have longer legs or tops than others

Rando, are you saying size 'small' is too long on you? I obviously don't have experience with overly long shorts or arms, so it's interesting to me.

I have size XXL Assos shorts, and they fit almost like women's shorts, quite far up on my leg which I don't care for. I gaurantee Assos would fit you well then! (they are expensive though).

velomanct said:
Rando, are you saying size 'small' is too long on you?

Nope, medium, which I need to fit my big quads and glutes :) are too long. I have a drawer full of shorts and bibs by number of different manufacturers, including Giordana, Sugoi and all have same problem.

I was looking at casual wear at gap.com and they have a tall lineup of sizes for much of their clothes. I don't know why a good high end cycling clothing manufacturer can't offer that.

Even just one tall size such as "Large-tall"

My Capoforma jacket is XXL, otherwise the sleeves would be too short. It's got way too much room around the waist and the arms, which lets in cold air easier.

Typical cyclists have a BMI of 20-22, not 30.

We're about the same build. I'm 6'2" and weigh 175. I'd rather have sleeves a little bit short than be too loose. Although, the sleeves on my champ-sys skin suit are just right. Reference exhibit A: Picasa Web Albums - Matthew - Drop Box

That's a medium. On the tight side, but (like you) I prefer tight fitting, race cut clothing. I haven't tried a long-sleeve jersey yet. South Texas has not thrown weather at me yet that arm-warmers and a wind vest couldn't handle, but seeing how the long-sleeve skinsuit fits, I might try a champ-sys long sleeve jersey this winter. Also...I only wear bib shorts, so lower back showing has never been an issue for me. I don't own tights, so I don't have an opinion there. 45 degree rain is nothing a little embrocation can't handle!

I dislike bibs for the most part, and rarely have problems with typical shorts, except that Assos shorts legs are not long enough.

That skinsuit looks like it fits great.

On long sleeves jerseys, if the the sleeves were on the long side it'd be easy to just bunch them up a bit, I can imagine. It's just really annoying to have 2-3inches of wrist/arm showing on all my long sleeves.

I do have relatively long arms I think. My deadlift is waay better than my bench press, lol.

How do you like that South TX weather? I'm seriously considering moving to Austin very soon. I'm a tropical person (lol), I love the heat, even if it's humid. Keeps the muscles loose and awake. CT has 7 months of **** weather IMO...

So far I only bought from a LBS or a big sporting store, brands like Pearl Izumi, Canari, or Quest, which are mostly pretty cheap, but I will definitely shop online over the winter for some other brands. Tights and short sleeve jerseys aren't so bad, but the jackets and long sleeved ones are too small or too loose, I agree.

-Greg

Yes, just like you!

I'm down to 178 or so now I think. I just measured my sleeve size, from the center of my neck to my wrist bone is 36 inches, and my chest size is 40 inches. That presents a problem since most size medium-large jackets/long sleeves are 31-33 inch sleeves.

I think I'm just going to buy size medium tops, and fabricate my own "wrist coverings", and hopefully the torso isn't too short, lol.

velomanct said:
How do you like that South TX weather? I'm seriously considering moving to Austin very soon. I'm a tropical person (lol), I love the heat, even if it's humid. Keeps the muscles loose and awake. CT has 7 months of **** weather IMO...

Omg, you need to do it right now. Austin is the shining center of the universe for me. I too have been plotting my move. I love that place. Year-round riding. Awesome central location for racing. Non-stop road racing from January until mid October. Plus, in Austin you have the best weekday night crit series in the country at the Driveway. Splash and [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2DJPp23GcE"]YouTube - Driveway Series Austin[/ame] (Yes, a field that big in a Thursday night race. Awesome.) And yes, that is a rumble strip. :D Did I mention I love it here.

The summer is hotter than all get out, but who cares. Pack a few extra bottles and quit crying. Since you like hot and humid, it probably won't phase you at all. I'd rather have 3 months of wicked humidity than 6 months of snow and cold. I rode outside all winter last year, and the worst that was thrown at me was 50 degrees and raining. If I had waterproof shoes and gloves, I would have been perfect.

Amen!

60 degrees is the thin line between enjoyable riding and not-enjoyable riding for me. I use to be a hardass when I was a teenager 6-10 years ago and ride/train in any weather. It totally sucks riding in New England 95% of the time from November through March.

Honestly, I would take 110 and humid over 30s/40s and dry. Most of my riding is sprints, so I don't overheat and really enjoy keeping my body and muscles loose and open. The cold just shuts me down, my wattage drops like a rock.

I would like to make some contacts in the Austin area, I don't know anyone, and I'm moving away from home for the first time (I'm 24 and finished college this summer).

Agree 110%. The only thing that keeps me somewhat ok with New England is snowboarding. But I would trade it for year-round riding in a heart beat.

velomanct said:
Honestly, I would take 110 and humid over 30s/40s and dry. Most of my riding is sprints, so I don't overheat and really enjoy keeping my body and muscles loose and open. The cold just shuts me down, my wattage drops like a rock.

Uh-huh. I'll tell you what: spend a week pedaling in air temps of 110°+, i.e. times when temps at rider level on the road are 140°-150°, then come back and report just how happy you were with it.

Everything's easy when you've never done it.

velomanct said:
I was looking at casual wear at gap.com and they have a tall lineup of sizes for much of their clothes. I don't know why a good high end cycling clothing manufacturer can't offer that.

Simple: look at the size of the casual wear market compared to the size of the bicycle wear market. One is a couple of orders of magnitude larger than the other. It's simple economics.

That doesn't matter. If there is a market for tall sizing, the manufacturer should meet it. Just bc cycling clothing is a smaller market doesnt mean they shouldn't do business.

I was in Las Vegas when it was 140 on the sidewalk. I honestly didn't mind it, walking in it.

And don't tell me I haven't done it. It has been 105-110 degrees and humind in the sun here on a few days a couple years ago. I remember biking in it, and yeh it wasn't the best riding weather, but I still would take it over 40s. If I was time trialing or doing tempo riding, that's another story. I can't (and I think most riders too) ride hard in temps over 100 for very long.

And if it's 110 for a high temp, then I could ride in the evening/night when its in the 90s. Nothing wrong with that at all. Maybe you ride at the peak heat of the day in 100% sunlight no shade? That's the only time you'll see 140.

If you ride at the peak heat of the day here in the winter, when it's 35, it's still only 40-45 in the sun, and still freeze your butt off on downhills or in the shade. Not to mention all the clothing one has to wear. Did I mention snow/ice/sand/salt in the winter? Frostbite?

Texas State TT championships: August 8th and 9th this year. I get sick remembering some of those threshold workouts in July leading up to the race. 2x30 minutes at FTP. 30 mph head wind. 105+ degree heat index. Get right in there. Those workouts sucked. I think I went through 4 water bottles an hour on those rides.