Is cycling clothing too loose/short?

See, you guys are doing endurance workouts in that heat. Of course it's rough.

I'm a sprinter ;) we need to be hot.

velomanct said:
That doesn't matter. If there is a market for tall sizing, the manufacturer should meet it. Just bc cycling clothing is a smaller market doesnt mean they shouldn't do business.

Again. It's called economics. Exactly what motive does a company have for making clothes for a small segment of an already small market? It doesn't matter what you think they should do. The manufacturers do what they think they should do. Business isn't altruism. You'll notice, also, that there aren't many bike clothes made for the overweight rider nor for midgets. Also, the manufacturers typically don't service people that are over 7' tall.
I was in Las Vegas when it was 140 on the sidewalk. I honestly didn't mind it, walking in it.

Well, that changes everything then.......

Riding a bike at 120bpm (fast walking pace) is always going to be 'cooler' than walking at that same exertion level since you have the wind moving over you. So for this example it is relavant. I did mention that fast riding would be unbearable in such extreme heat. I don't plan to do TTs when it's 100+ degrees.

So you're telling me that there is not a worthwhile segment of skinny/tall cyclists? Well, that's kind of the reason I created this thread, to see the responses about it. I do see your point about this issue, but I feel there may be a worthwhile segment. Afterall, how much more costly is it to add one addition 'tall' size to a lineup of small, medium, large, XL, XXL? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are only 10 or 20 cyclists in the world who desire a 'tall' fit.

Dude, I said I would take 110 over winter temps. If I had the choice I'd take 90 over 110. Yes, I can have more specific preferences.

What is your problem with me saying I'd prefer hot temps over cold temps? Oh wait, we're on cyclingforums where it's common to argue over ridiculous things to make ourselves feel better.

The point I was originally trying to make was that I'd prefer a southern TX climate yearound over a New England climate yearound for MY STYLE of riding. Are you really here to challenge that? This is silly.

That's fine if you prefer the opposite, but I still say I'd take 110 high of day temps over 30 high of day temps.

Back in June I was visiting my friend in FL, it was 100+ in the sun and humid and I did tempo for over an hour, in the direct sun. I wasnt overheating at all, although I got some sunburn. It was VERY comfortable.

Here's a thought:

Maybe my body is more suited for biking in the heat? I'm always freezing in the winter, indoors, outdoors, anytime I'm not wearing 10lbs of clothes or exerting myself.

velomanct said:
Back in June I was visiting my friend in FL, it was 100+ in the sun and humid and I did tempo for over an hour, in the direct sun. I wasnt overheating at all, although I got some sunburn. It was VERY comfortable.

Here's a thought:

Maybe my body is more suited for biking in the heat? I'm always freezing in the winter, indoors, outdoors, anytime I'm not wearing 10lbs of clothes or exerting myself.

Obviously, that must be it. Clearly.

velomanct said:
Riding a bike at 120bpm (fast walking pace) is always going to be 'cooler' than walking at that same exertion level since you have the wind moving over you. So for this example it is relavant. I did mention that fast riding would be unbearable in such extreme heat. I don't plan to do TTs when it's 100+ degrees.

Would you like to prove your theory? You know you're starting to move onto ground where subjectivity doesn't really work.

velomanct said:
So you're telling me that there is not a worthwhile segment of skinny/tall cyclists?

No, those are your words. I was explaining one likely reason for not seeing shelves overflowing with clothes as you describe. Did you not understand the economics part?

Oh wait, we're on cyclingforums where it's common to argue over ridiculous things to make ourselves feel better.

Oh, that must be it. Clearly. Really.

That's fine if you prefer the opposite, but I still say I'd take 110 high of day temps over 30 high of day temps.

Yes, you've said as much.

alienator said:
Would you like to prove your theory? You know you're starting to move onto ground where subjectivity doesn't really work.

No, those are your words. I was explaining one likely reason for not seeing shelves overflowing with clothes as you describe. Did you not understand the economics part?

Oh, that must be it. Clearly. Really.

Yes, you've said as much.

I'm sorry I don't have studies to back up my theory, I just have my relevant personal experience, which matters a whole lot more to myself.
On the hottest day at school it was near 100. I got out of class and walked 8 minutes to my car, was sweaty and uncomfortable at that point. I got my bike out of the car and changed, went riding. I was much more comfortable riding my bike at a slow pace than I was walking.

Does it make sense that 120bpm at 18mph would be more comfortable than 120bpm at 3mph? :rolleyes: Yah, I don't need studies to prove that point.

I said I agreed with your economics part of it. If the company won't profit from the option, then they wouldn't do it.

velomanct said:
I'm sorry I don't have studies to back up my theory, I just have my relevant personal experience, which matters a whole lot more to myself.
On the hottest day at school it was near 100. I got out of class and walked 8 minutes to my car, was sweaty and uncomfortable at that point. I got my bike out of the car and changed, went riding. I was much more comfortable riding my bike at a slow pace than I was walking.

Does it make sense that 120bpm at 18mph would be more comfortable than 120bpm at 3mph? :rolleyes: Yah, I don't need studies to prove that point.

Well, if you said, it must be true. And it's important to only ride at 120 bpm. For the sake of the gods, we wouldn't in any circumstance exceed that. Clearly.

Lol

Have you ever ran, with your heart rate above 170bpm in such heat?

And have you compared that feeling to cycling at the same exertion level in such heat?

I know, I know, another useless comparison.

The supply and demand curves of clothing size cease to matter when it is over 100 degrees outside and you're doing intervals. Large bibs, medium short sleeve summer jersey and you're good. And I measured my arm length, and I'm 32 inches from wrist to neck. You, my friend, have some freakishly long arms :) That being said, you move down here and the climate eliminates the necessity for long-sleeve clothing. You might need to make some custom arm-warmers for when it gets cold, but no big deal. My coach made some awesome plaid ones while he was in Belgium. I'm sure I could ask him to dig up the patterns he made.

And yes, the same level of exertion will always feel better traveling at 20 mph than 0 mph. It is because you've got more air flow to aid the body's most efficient cooling mechanism...evaporative cooling of sweat. Need proof of this? Get your trainer out. Set it up in a parking lot and spin for 20-30 minutes. You will sweat more than you've ever sweat in your life, but it really won't help keep you cool. Then jump off and go for a spin and feel the loving embrace of the equivalent of a 20 mph breeze as it pulls the sweat from your flesh.

Do you measure your arm from the center of your neck?

I followed some diagram I saw on a clothing site.

I just got some Gore windstopper leg warmers size XL. The length is perfect but behind the knee gets really tight when I bend my leg. I'll have to see how it is while riding.

XL being too tight? And I don't have huge legs/knees. 22-23" thighs.