Is Cyclocross totally gay or what?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by IronDonut, Dec 9, 2005.

1. IronDonut

IronDonut New Member

Did you ride the short bus? As usual a dolt to make his point takes me out of context.

What I said was that the frame material has no impact on the performance of the rider. A Ti Titus Racer-X, a CF Trek Fuel, or an alum Santa Cruz blur are all going to perform so closely that the only difference you'll see is in the riders. All of the $3000+ XC mountain bikes perform great. I don't think one would provide any real advantage over an other.

You take two equal riders put one on a Titus Racer X and the other on a Trek 11 from 1995 and the Racer-X is going to win every time.

Now with cyclocross bikes... You really honestly believe that a rigid fork, rigid rear cyclocross bike vs a mountain bike in a mountain bike race is going to be a contest of riders? I'm going to tell you right now if you believe that you're an idiot. A mountain bike is vastly superior to a cyclocross bike over the rough terrain than you will see in a mountain bike race. And in fact you'd never complete some of the meaner mountain bike courses on a cyclocross bike.

2. guidosan

guidosan New Member

I just have to repeat what was already mentioned, and that ‘cross and mtn bike races are completely different animals. Often the winner of a ‘cross race is not the fastest rider, but faster in the mounts and dismounts. Cyclocross has a lot of obstacles like barriers and it is not uncommon for a fast rider to reach the barrier first, but loose their place in the standings because they are slower in dismounting, going over the barrier and then remounting. Also it is a common practice to shoulder the bike and run over barriers through mud pits or up very steep climbs. This would be very impractical with a mountain bike.
    I do find it interesting that you look at one person in a mtn bike race with a ‘cross bike and are so willing to make a sweeping generalization. If mtn bikes are superior to ‘cross bikes in an actual cyclocross race, then we would probably see more mtn bikes in those races. Perhaps you really should take your mtn bike and enter a bunch of ‘cyclocross races. Bar ends are not allowed, but disk brakes are now legal. Let us know how you do, not how you think you will do.

3. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

seems to me that most of you guys are missing the point : cyclocross is a winter sport , you can´t ride the mountains in winter because of the snow so a lot of people who want to race ( and cyclocross is only racing , remember ) off road get to do so all winter in the mud and snow at more or less ground leval .
    Typical set up is like a road bike ie 52 / 39 rings and 12 - 25 with a diamond frame with more clearance for larger tyres and canti brakes ( though discs are appearing at the top levals ) and typical road bars and group sets .

now if somebody competed in a mtb race with a cross bike it was either for training or fun so what´s the problem ?
    US riders will not be as good as they think they should be until they realise it´s a sport not a life style , the bob marley training regime don´t cut it on the world stage , dude .

4. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

isnt there a part of most cyclocross races that are flat or even tarmaced surfaces? If that is the case then a cyclosross bike would be faster than an mtb if both riders were at the same fitness level.

A lot of cyclocross involves carrying your bike, in general i could say they were also lighter than mtb.

5. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

the courses in holland and belgium are usually quite flat , with a few steep but short clmbs and descents only made technical by mud and snow etc ( this is a winter sport , remember ) but very fast 35-40+ kph race averages are not unusual for the pros .
    personally I think they´re all crazy , riding in the mud , the rain and the snow in such cold weather .
    check out the world championship if you want to see an exercise in insanity , eurosport often has some coverage .

6. meehs

meehs New Member

LOL!!! That's perfect. I'm not even going to respond now because how can I do any better than that? :D

7. AllanST

AllanST New Member

8. IronDonut

IronDonut New Member

9. meehs

meehs New Member