Is Data Saved on PT Like Gargin Edge??

msohio

Mar 19, 2004
OK, I have the PT 2.4 wireless. Have used a Garmin Edge 305 for some time. The Garmin stores rides so I write down the data I want daily on a sheet in the garage and I all the data about every two weeks to my laptop.

Can I do this with the PT 2.4 or must transfer it to the laptop after every ride?

I'm no racer. 66 years old, two total knee replacements and I ride 100-120 a week for relaxation and fitness. Just want to get better and the PT is gonna help me get there. On a relative flat rolling ride of 50 miles, I average 17-18. If it has 3-4,000 total feet of climbing, it is more like 13-14. Maximum HR is 165. 5' 9" 145#. So I'm no superstar, just love to ride.

msohio said:
OK, I have the PT 2.4 wireless. Have used a Garmin Edge 305 for some time. The Garmin stores rides so I write down the data I want daily on a sheet in the garage and I all the data about every two weeks to my laptop.

Can I do this with the PT 2.4 or must transfer it to the laptop after every ride?

I'm no racer. 66 years old, two total knee replacements and I ride 100-120 a week for relaxation and fitness. Just want to get better and the PT is gonna help me get there. On a relative flat rolling ride of 50 miles, I average 17-18. If it has 3-4,000 total feet of climbing, it is more like 13-14. Maximum HR is 165. 5' 9" 145#. So I'm no superstar, just love to ride.
Not really the same amount of storage. The PT only has around 15hrs at best, whereas the Garmin can hold rides for a much longer period of time. I usually download after every two rides on the PT just in case....

Flash

msohio said:

I don't know how the Garmon works and am not sure exactly what you want. Sounds like you just write down the average speed, distance, etc. for the ride and then reset it to zero for the next ride. You can do the same with the PT.

If, however, you want the data that is recorded every second, the PT cpu can store 15 hours worth (2.4 cpu). Then you have to download it or it won't record any more data.

You can do both (again with the 15 hr limit) by using what they somewhat confusingly call the interval function. You would start a new interval for each ride and get the data for that interval at the end. Meanwhile, the cpu is storing the data for all these rides for download later.

Hope I didn't make it even more confusing.

TF

Are you saying you never download your rides from your PowerTap?

If so, then you're not using your power meter to its full potential. In combination with CyclingPeaks, the PowerTap becomes a much more powerful training tool with the ability to calculate normalized power and training stress score (TSS), both extremely useful metrics even for the non-racer. You can also track your mean maximal power (MMP) for various durations which is also useful to gauge your progress. These are all things that can only be calculated when you download your rides.

But if you're just looking for a temporary solution to track your training while traveling, then the aforementioned solutions would work. But you can always just wait until you return home and download your rides then. With the PowerTap 2.4 you get 15 hours of storage at 1-second recording interval. If you need more storage, then you can just bump the recording interval up to 2 seconds for 30 hours.