is disc brakes worth paying 10% extra for the bike?

Jon Bendtsen

Guest
Hi

Is it worth paying about 10% extra for the bike
just to get disc brakes rather than rim V-brakes?

The bike in question is the hp velotechnik Spirit.

JonB

Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> Is it worth paying about 10% extra for the bike
> just to get disc brakes rather than rim V-brakes?
>
> The bike in question is the hp velotechnik Spirit.

In terms of /need/ (as opposed to just liking shiny Bling!),
categorically not.

Discs are primarily an advantage when your rims are covered in crunge,
which is mainly off road. You also don't gradually wear your rims away
over time, but most folk manage to make a pair of wheels last quite a
long time...

Hydraulic brakes have a much nicer feel with fingertip control enough
for almost all eventualities, but you can get hydraulic rim brakes
rather than hydraulic discs (Magura HS-33s) and they're quite a bit
cheaper and have the same advantages of better feel in use. I'd
personally sooner have hydraulic rim brakes than cable discs, even with
the rim wear issue, but V brakes will be perfectly adequate.

One thing to bear in mind for a self-confessed hater of doing cleaning
on the gears, is that hydraulic brakes generally need much less
attention to keep them (and your braking) in trim than V brakes. I
replaced the original Vs on my Streetmachine with HS-33s and they've
been as close to "fit and forget" as its reasonably possible to expect.
But though I do prefer them, I don't /need/ them.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Jon Bendtsen wrote:
>
>> Is it worth paying about 10% extra for the bike
>> just to get disc brakes rather than rim V-brakes?
>>
>> The bike in question is the hp velotechnik Spirit.

> In terms of /need/ (as opposed to just liking shiny Bling!),
> categorically not.

i'm not that much interrested in shiny bling, but i would prefer
to STOP when i want it, should an emergency arise.

> Discs are primarily an advantage when your rims are covered in crunge,
> which is mainly off road. You also don't gradually wear your rims away
> over time, but most folk manage to make a pair of wheels last quite a
> long time...
>
> Hydraulic brakes have a much nicer feel with fingertip control enough
> for almost all eventualities, but you can get hydraulic rim brakes
> rather than hydraulic discs (Magura HS-33s) and they're quite a bit
> cheaper and have the same advantages of better feel in use. I'd
> personally sooner have hydraulic rim brakes than cable discs, even with
> the rim wear issue, but V brakes will be perfectly adequate.

0 born with rim brakes
+129€ Avid BB7 mekanical disc brakes
+169€ hydralic rim brakes
+199€ hydralic disc brakes

I dont think they are quiet a bit cheaper, but thanks for helping
me decide.

JonB

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:18:22 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jon Bendtsen wrote:
>
>> Is it worth paying about 10% extra for the bike
>> just to get disc brakes rather than rim V-brakes?
>>
>> The bike in question is the hp velotechnik Spirit.

>In terms of /need/ (as opposed to just liking shiny Bling!),
>categorically not.
>
>Discs are primarily an advantage when your rims are covered in crunge,
>which is mainly off road. You also don't gradually wear your rims away
>over time, but most folk manage to make a pair of wheels last quite a
>long time...
>
>Hydraulic brakes have a much nicer feel with fingertip control enough
>for almost all eventualities, but you can get hydraulic rim brakes
>rather than hydraulic discs (Magura HS-33s) and they're quite a bit
>cheaper and have the same advantages of better feel in use. I'd
>personally sooner have hydraulic rim brakes than cable discs, even with
>the rim wear issue, but V brakes will be perfectly adequate.
>
>One thing to bear in mind for a self-confessed hater of doing cleaning
>on the gears, is that hydraulic brakes generally need much less
>attention to keep them (and your braking) in trim than V brakes. I
>replaced the original Vs on my Streetmachine with HS-33s and they've
>been as close to "fit and forget" as its reasonably possible to expect.
> But though I do prefer them, I don't /need/ them.
>
>Pete.

I have mechanical disc brakes on my trike. I rather like them as,
right now anyway, there is a LOT of slush, snow and ice here. My rims
are almost always wet. So, for me anyway, it's a slight advantage.
Not a HUGE one mind you. But an advantage nonetheless.

If I had my druthers???? I would probably opt for hydraulic disc as,
from what I understand, the maintenance is a lot less.

Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska) wrote:

[cuuuuuut]

> I have mechanical disc brakes on my trike. I rather like them as,
> right now anyway, there is a LOT of slush, snow and ice here. My rims
> are almost always wet. So, for me anyway, it's a slight advantage.
> Not a HUGE one mind you. But an advantage nonetheless.

okay, i rarely have snow here.

JonB