is drinking beer good for cyclist

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
i find most of posts asked to cut down or abstain from drinking. i am talking only beer. i believe it is nutritious and of course i get high/hangover a few times which i try not to. what is bad about beer.

Cao,
The crazy cyclist.

stevechow said:
i find most of posts asked to cut down or abstain from drinking. i am talking only beer. i believe it is nutritious and of course i get high/hangover a few times which i try not to. what is bad about beer.

Cao,
The crazy cyclist.

A few beers wont hurt you ;)

stevechow said:

Cao,
The crazy cyclist.

Its the constant dilemma.

Get fit by training and by abstaining from overeating and drinking alcohol.

OR

drink alcohol and enjoy life.

If you're serious about the bike, it's best to abstain or drink absolutely minimal amounts of alcohol.
Alcohol kills any benefits derived from training.

It is an absolutely essential to drink beer. This is my testimony and I stand by it,as long as I can stand.
Seriously it is like anything else, it depends on the quanity and the individual.

A beer every now and then aint going to do much harm...
... it's just when that odd one becomes a 6+ a night, most nights of the week.

I've noticed that beer is the one think that dictates whether I loose weight or not. If I lay off the beers the weight goes down. Even if I train harder and longer AND eat a little less to compensate for the extra calories from drinking a few good ales then at best the weight stays the same.

swampy1970 said:

I've noticed that beer is the one think that dictates whether I loose weight or not. If I lay off the beers the weight goes down. Even if I train harder and longer AND eat a little less to compensate for the extra calories from drinking a few good ales then at best the weight stays the same.

It's obvious to me that the extra training is keeping the weight on you.
Can't just be coincidental!:D

swampy1970 said:

same here.

When I was in serious training, alcohol consumption dictated weight gain.
I had no option but to abstain completely.

Even now I might have, say three/four pints, one night per week, it adds weight.
Sorry to be a boring old fart about this!

Another one of those "aye, when I were a lad..." moments. I used to think nothing of knocking back 10 pints on a Friday and Saturday night and going out for a 3 to 5 hour ride the following day and still remain at ~140 to 145 lbs. The big difference there was probably not eating when I was drinking...

These days the only time my scales see 140lb now would be if I put the scales under the door frame and I did a 'pull up' whilst checking my weight. :D

beer may not be good for cycling but it sure helps with state of mind. i'm on a pretty strict diet and still allow myself 2 beers per week.

Bootleg said:
beer may not be good for cycling but it sure helps with state of mind. i'm on a pretty strict diet and still allow myself 2 beers per week.

I keep telling the wife that even beer in a sealed bottle evaporates at a faster rate than that...

It may take your body to gain more weight. It is advisable not to drink when your going to ride a day after it.:)

jhuskey said:
It is an absolutely essential to drink beer. This is my testimony and I stand by it,as long as I can stand.

I'd listen to him Flounder, he's pre-med.

I think it is a personal thing on how you'll be more responsible on drinking. But of course for the sake of many of us, just don't drink at all!:) Peace!