Is Evans the new Zabel?

thunder

Jan 8, 2006
2nd Tour,
2nd in both Tour tts
2nd in Pais Vasco tt
2nd in Pais Vasco GC
2nd in Fleche Wallonne

is it too early to call Cadel Evans, Cadel Zabel?

thunder said:
2nd Tour,
2nd in both Tour tts
2nd in Pais Vasco tt
2nd in Pais Vasco GC
2nd in Fleche Wallonne

is it too early to call Cadel Evans, Cadel Zabel?
He came first in the second TT of the Tour. And he would have come first in all the others if it wasn't for one rider in each of those races.

No I'm not. I would have called you a **** if that was the case.

classic1 said:
No I'm not. I would have called you a **** if that was the case.
there has been a running joke on Zabel, and his second places over the last 4 years... guess you missed it

thunder said:
there has been a running joke on Zabel, and his second places over the last 4 years... guess you missed it
The second placegetter isn't tested.

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah. I don't think Evans is the new Zabel. Zabel is more of a sprinter. Whereas Evans is more of a tool.

thunder said:
I look at the big picture. Besides, Zabel is 53 years old.

Zabel wins. Even in his twighlight years (like the last 8 years) he has a pretty impressive record. He may not be the faster sprinter anymore or at any point in his career. But he knows how to win races.

Malkmus said:
Zabel wins. Even in his twighlight years (like the last 8 years) he has a pretty impressive record. He may not be the faster sprinter anymore or at any point in his career. But he knows how to win races.
anyone count the Protour as a win? Or is the Protour, Mcquaid wind?

thunder said:
anyone count the Protour as a win? Or is the Protour, Mcquaid wind?
ProTour is different. It's an indication of consistency. Some would say he's consistently second.

In his MTB days, he won the World Cup but not a world championship. That's kinda similar.

That said, I think Evans has come on some in recent times. He has seemed (to me, at my considerable distance) more at home around the winner's circle, racing with more confidence, as if he belongs there.

The real test is the Tour, of course, but I don't see him doing some Jana Novotna/Greg Norman-esque snatching defeat from the jaws of victory if he's in a position to win. In that sense, perhaps he is like Zabel, coming second a lot not because of mental fragility, but rather just ... because.

Drongo said:
ProTour is different. It's an indication of consistency. Some would say he's consistently second.

In his MTB days, he won the World Cup but not a world championship. That's kinda similar.

That said, I think Evans has come on some in recent times. He has seemed (to me, at my considerable distance) more at home around the winner's circle, racing with more confidence, as if he belongs there.

The real test is the Tour, of course, but I don't see him doing some Jana Novotna/Greg Norman-esque snatching defeat from the jaws of victory if he's in a position to win. In that sense, perhaps he is like Zabel, coming second a lot not because of mental fragility, but rather just ... because.
but rather just...because...Contador is a drug cheat.

biker jk said:
but rather just...because...Contador is a drug cheat.
who says Evans is not?

If Evans is clean, he should not have his manager one Tony Rominger.

If he worked with Ferrari, and Cyclingheroes said he did, why did you take advice of a doctor who is notorious for facilitating the doping culture in the sport?

If Evans is clean, he is still compromised. He has ridden for and alongside TMobile riders, he has ridden alongside Mapei. He is part of the doping culture.

Has he had one injection from a team doctor, without verifying what the product was?

If he is clean, it would be a stretch, but it would also not be untarnished. He has had dopers ride for him, and he has ridden for dopers. He has not called out the dopers.

Its almost impossible to operate in the sport without being touched by it. Perhaps only someone like Bassons can appeal to that status. You might be clean, but it has affected your performance, whether supporting riders, or your support riders.

Evans has not given the ethical position like someone of Brad Mcgee, or Philippe Gilbert's status. Even Mcgee and Gilbert though, have been leadout riders for cyclists who would have been doping. So can you countenance that? Difficult moral quandary no?