Is Evans the new Zabel?

Also Zabels record of classification victories (6 times Points winner in the TDF)
suggests that Evans has some way to go before he can even considered with the likes of Zabel.
Add the number of wins by Zabel.

Zabel is one of the all time great cyclists.

thunder said:
who says Evans is not?

Evans has not given the ethical position like someone of Brad Mcgee, or Philippe Gilbert's status. Even Mcgee and Gilbert though, have been leadout riders for cyclists who would have been doping. So can you countenance that? Difficult moral quandary no?

Agreed that all are sullied by the brush, even if they don't jump into the tin of paint. But Thunder, by your quote above, I assume you mean to say that McGee and Gilbert are clean.

I hope you aren't basing that view purely on their stated opinions. Things aren't always what they seem.

It's true - if a cyclist doesn't condemn the dopers, he's unlikely to be clean. But those who shout loudest and proudest are sometimes the same ones doing Lady Macbeth impersonations at nights.

Hope a real cyclist wins LBL.

Cheers

Runitout said:
Agreed that all are sullied by the brush, even if they don't jump into the tin of paint. But Thunder, by your quote above, I assume you mean to say that McGee and Gilbert are clean.

I hope you aren't basing that view purely on their stated opinions. Things aren't always what they seem.

It's true - if a cyclist doesn't condemn the dopers, he's unlikely to be clean. But those who shout loudest and proudest are sometimes the same ones doing Lady Macbeth impersonations at nights.

Hope a real cyclist wins LBL.

Cheers
re: Mcgee and Gilbert.

got some decent inside information lines on those guys.

You are right tho, if you are a nice guy, speak English, you can develop a purely arbitrary reputation as a clean rider.

See: Hamilton. Landis.

Even Mancebo.

It is very arbitrary. Well, not completely, those factors mentioned above, inform the function of "known to be a clean rider" :D

limerickman said:
Also Zabels record of classification victories (6 times Points winner in the TDF)
suggests that Evans has some way to go before he can even considered with the likes of Zabel.
Add the number of wins by Zabel.

Zabel is one of the all time great cyclists.
Zabel continues to be extremely competitive at an age when many riders have already retired. As Lim points out, his Palmares are extremely impressive.

He won stages last year (2007) in the Tour De Suisse, the Deutschland Tour, and the Vuelta. He beat sprinters including Bennati, Freire, and his teammate Petacchi.

Evans is the new Poulidor, not the new Zabel.

Let's see how he goes in this year's TdF. It's the first time he's been favorite. A couple of year's ago, he wasn't even mentioned as a chance. Last year he was hardly mentioned as a favorite. Nobody picked him as their likely winner of the Fleche Wallonne, yet he almost won it.

Already we are branding him as a proverbial bridesmaid and non-deliverer of expectations when in reality, we've hardly had any expectations it seems.