Is Farrar even bigger rival for Cavendish?

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Do any of you guys think Farrar can beat Cavendish at the tour in 2010?

cyclingnews.com said:
After taking six stage victories at this year's Tour de France, Mark Cavendish's dominance in the sprints may be under threat from Tyler Farrar in the 2010 edition of la grande boucle.

The route for next season's Tour edition was unveiled yesterday in Paris and the American fast man, who has enjoyed a stellar 2009, could well be the rider to tame Columbia-HTC's undisputed sprint king.

"It's an interesting course; the organisers always try to make it exciting and there's a prologue," Farrar told The Wenatchee World. He wasn't in the French capital for the presentation but followed it online. "It's a little longer than is ideal for me, but I think it will be good way to start with hopefully a good result early," he added.

Farrar Even Bigger Rival For Cavendish In 2010 Tour | Cyclingnews.com

steve said:
Do any of you guys think Farrar can beat Cavendish at the tour in 2010?

Isn't Robbie Hunter going to be Farrar's lead out man next year? That should help his cause!

i suspect hushovd will be the main rival again. not so much in finishing, but just snagging those points on the road again. (granted cav learns his lessons well and i doubt that thor will steal a march on cav this go round, but the battle should be interesting.)

it could very likely turn into a "last man standing" event in that the '10 edition should be something of a survival course for the usual suspects wanting to wear the green jersey.

Unfortunately for those us that actually like to see an exciting bunch gallop at the end, Cav's biggest rival in the sprint happens to be on his own team - Andre Greipel. Hopefully (just me being selfish), Greipel decides he wants out of Cav's shadow and moves to his own team where he can get all the spotlight and then we might see a real showdown...

Farrar and the other sprinters (besides Greipel) are in the minor leagues compared to Cav, IMO...

CN's article is just a feeble attempt to create some interest...The editors know Farrar can't hold a candle to Cav...

I rate Farrar highly, I think he's a super sprinter.

Is he in Cav's class though?
I think Cav is a consistently brilliant sprinter : farrar needs to be more consistent to make himself a serious rival to Cav.

Incidentally, great to see Cav get nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year (he didn't win it - Jenson Button did).

For me it's Cav>>>>Petacchi>>>>Greipel>Benatti (if he finds his 2008 form)>McEwen(if he can comeback after his 09 crash)/Farrar>Hushovd>>>>>>>>>>>daylight.

Much respect for Hushovd, but he is all power, not top end speed like the others. Look at his last two Tour stage wins - knock down, drag them out run ins to the finish that left behind the real quick riders or caused splits in the final. I think Freire is passed it.

IMO the second best sprinter in the 09 Tour was Mark Renshaw!

1. Cav
a tire
2. Greipel
1/2 a wheel
3. A younger Petacchi
1/2 bike length
4. McEwen
1/2 bike length
5. Boonen/Farrar/Younger Friere/Bennati

Slight Uphill Sprint
1. Hushovd
2. Valverde
3. Greipel

Farrar needs a leadout train, not just one man, and Garmin's main focus is grand tour podium placings, not winning sprints.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyHzP_bmGdw[/ame]

Can't forget this man. He's got a couple wins already this year. Don't know if he has the power for Greipel or the speed of Cav, but it will be interesting...I think he's the best of the rest behind the big two...

You're right tony. Farrar needs Armstrong in his train, if he wants to win in Geelong.

Andrija said:
You're right tony. Farrar needs Armstrong in his train, if he wants to win in Geelong.

Farrar cant win and Armstrong wont ride :p

Then, Armstrong will need Farrar.
Is that what tony is saying by posting video of Armstrong in Farrarćs thread?

Andrija said:
Then, Armstrong will need Farrar.
Is that what tony is saying by posting video of Armstrong in Farrarćs thread?

LOL. Do I intimidate you such that you're afraid to direct your question to me? I sincerely hope not as I would have never intended such.:eek:

What are you talking about? I've directed it to you. Read it again.
But after steve replied, then I replied to him.
However, you didn't answer me again.

Andrija said:
What are you talking about? I've directed it to you. Read it again.
But after steve replied, then I replied to him.
However, you didn't answer me again.

LOL. I'm not the delusional one here. What was your first question??

Anyway, how you perceived I was implying Farrar needs Armstrong to beat Cav (or Petacchi for that matter) as his lead-out is beyond me. Does Farrar have 2 wins this season? Does Armstrong have 2 wins this season?

I'll take it that you don't know the answer to either question, but to enlighten you Petacchi does have 2 wins already and he will be more competition for Greipel/Cav than Farrar could ever hope to be...IMO, of course...