Is Farrar even bigger rival for Cavendish?

What horrible commentary in that video. Farrar may as well have not been in that race. I don't think i've ever seen him come off the wheel of the fast guys to win a sprint.

Petacchi is a class act, he must be 36 or 37 by now? amazing.

Andrija said:

Is this some kind of circular logic, or did you simply misunderstand me? I would hope it was latter...

You thought I was talking about Armstrong as competition for Cav/Greipel in a field sprint?! That thought doesn't even dignify a reply...

O.K.
You were talking about Petacchi. He may be first after Columbia duo. But, I doubt they'll target same races. San Remo maybe. Giro will be Petacchi's race, Tour Cav's (Petacchi may not even start it), and Vuelta Greipel's. No one of them (Petacchi, Cavendish, Greipel) is targeting Northern classics. They won't be competitive in Geelong too.
On the other hand, Farrar has more similar schedule to Cav's, so we are talking about them here.

Farrar had an excellent ride during stage 2 at the Tour of Qatar. 21st @ 2:43

steve said:
Farrar had an excellent ride during stage 2 at the Tour of Qatar. 21st @ 2:43

Was this comment supposed to be indicative of his ability to successfully compete against Cav/Greipel in the sprints? If so, I think you're reaching. Heck, Boonen and Napolitano (two other second tier sprinters) finished almost a minute in front of Farrar...

I got nothing personal against Farrar, but too many cycling media types (N. American) are pumping him with the expectation he'll challenge Cav/Greipel - and I just don't see it happening any time soon. I don't especially care for media "golden boys"/darlings - not his fault though, personally...

On another note, Greipel doesn't appeat to be going too well (the bar has been set very high for him in my mind) at the moment at Mallorca. Guys he should be beating every time have topped him thus far. Not even in the top 10 on stage 1 and beaten by Freire in Stage 2. To be fair, it appears the "B" squad for Columbia is at Mallorca, so he doesn't have the best leadout train at his disposal...

tonyzackery said:
Was this comment supposed to be indicative of his ability to successfully compete against Cav/Greipel in the sprints?

Nope, an attempt at sarcasm ;)

tonyzackery said:
Was this comment supposed to be indicative of his ability to successfully compete against Cav/Greipel in the sprints? If so, I think you're reaching. Heck, Boonen and Napolitano (two other second tier sprinters) finished almost a minute in front of Farrar...

I got nothing personal against Farrar, but too many cycling media types (N. American) are pumping him with the expectation he'll challenge Cav/Greipel - and I just don't see it happening any time soon. I don't especially care for media "golden boys"/darlings - not his fault though, personally...

On another note, Greipel doesn't appeat to be going too well (the bar has been set very high for him in my mind) at the moment at Mallorca. Guys he should be beating every time have topped him thus far. Not even in the top 10 on stage 1 and beaten by Freire in Stage 2. To be fair, it appears the "B" squad for Columbia is at Mallorca, so he doesn't have the best leadout train at his disposal...

Farrar In The Action In Qatar | Cyclingnews.com

This is just too coincidental - CN must have guys/gals reading CyclingForums or something...no sooner than I talk of the media darling, hours later here he is with his own spread...LOL!

tonyzackery said:
Farrar In The Action In Qatar | Cyclingnews.com

This is just too coincidental - CN must have guys/gals reading CyclingForums or something...no sooner than I talk of the media darling, hours later here he is with his own spread...LOL!

He went much better today :D

1 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step 3:01:39
2 Heinrich Haussler (Ger) Cervélo TestTeam
3 Baden Cooke (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
4 Kenny De Haes (Bel) Omega Pharma - Lotto
5 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
6 Peter Wrolich (Aut) Team Milram
7 Taylor Phinney (USA) Trek Livestrong
8 Bobbie Traksel (Ned) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team
9 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions
10 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma - Lotto

Looks like he won the bunch kick for 122nd.

122 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 0:04:21
123 Murilo Antoniobil Fischer (Bra) Garmin - Transitions

steve said:
Looks like he won the bunch kick for 122nd.

122 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions 0:04:21
123 Murilo Antoniobil Fischer (Bra) Garmin - Transitions

Come on, Steve, you're just piling on now...:D

In Farrar's fairness, I read where he had 4 flats on the stage with a double flat in the last 4km which took him out of contention for the sprint, irrespective of his media inflated talents...I shouldn't be so harsh on the guy - he's alright, but I think I could take 'em:D...maybe not after 4hrs in the saddle though:eek:...

Damn! Cav and Griepel are sure lightin' it up at Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice, respectively...:rolleyes:

tonyzackery said:
Damn! Cav and Griepel are sure lightin' it up at Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice, respectively...:rolleyes:

Farrar sprinted alright in last nights stage. :D I'll be eating my words soon :D