Is Grease enough?

Chuck731

Nov 15, 2005
Is grease enough when putting bottom bracket into a Ti frame? Or is something like Ti Prep necessary?

You can get anti-sieze at an auto parts store that works just as well as Ti-Prep and costs a lot less. The biggest difference between anti-sieze and regular grease is that it has small metal (moslty copper) particles suspended in it to interfere with friction welding between the two metals.

Chuck731 said:
Is grease enough when putting bottom bracket into a Ti frame? Or is something like Ti Prep necessary?
Mark Hickey of Habenero says to use teflon tape and regular grease. I have done that on two Ti bikes and it works great. Many people just use grease (as suggested by our old friend Boudreaux) and many more will use Ti-Prep or anti-seize. If you do some kind of regular maintenance on your bike, any of those methods should work fine. I have found that the places that you really need Ti-Prep are the other places where bolts thread into a Ti frame - like the bottle cage bolts and the RD fixing bolt. I have used grease in both of those spots, but prefer Ti-Prep.