Is he/she into it? cycling that is.

frogger

Apr 24, 2006
Does your other half like cycling? I am curious. As of late I find myself giving little hints to try to get her out on the bike with me to enjoy some "together" time. I would luv it if my better half enjoyed touring or cycling longer distances. But, she just hasn't got the bug.

Have you converted your other half? Do they cycle? Do they despise it?

My wife thinks cycling is dangerous and will not ride. Of course, she is right; It is dangerous. Risk is part and parcel of the whole experience.

My husband and I have both been riders ever since we were kids, but I was the one who started him seriously. When we were in college I insisted he buy a bike that fit (he was still riding a hand me down from his mom and it was waaaay to small) and started him bike touring. Last year after he started racing, he returned the favor, convinced me to buy a new bike that fit better (mine was to big) and got me started racing this year. We've been having a blast going to races together.

We both cycle and train together. We actually chose cycling as a sport because it was a sport in which men, women, and children/young adults could cycle and enjoy the sport together. Whether it is a family ride around the cycleways with a picnic/icecream at the end, or a group social ride. It is a wonderful sport for all ages/gender.

Not to mention Christmas Parties with the local club tend to consist of a 4 hour ride followed by lunch at a cafe....a much better family atmosphere then the strippers and all night drinking sessions that adhered to by some sports.

My partner of several years, Rosey, always comes with me on my cycle rides. I let her and her sisters work the gears and sometimes the brakes. There was one period where I had a cycling accident which broke my arm and hospitalised me and for a while we didn't get on. She stopped performing for me, sexually, due to the accident and I also stopped riding for a while. Fortunately when my arm got better we patched things up and we've never looked back. I dont know what I'd do without her. :rolleyes:

lehowe0 said:
My wife thinks cycling is dangerous and will not ride. Of course, she is right; It is dangerous. Risk is part and parcel of the whole experience.
That was my wife's viewpoint, even though she used to be a competitive triathlete before three kids. I've managed to get her out on a MTB for a few rides of late and she has even done a cycle touring course and is now contemplating riding to work one day a week. Awesome!! The conversion process has started. Someday she will realise that it is something we can do together until we are 70!