is helmet compulsory while cycling in the UK?

[email protected] wrote:
> I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

Only for racing..

On 12 Apr 2007 02:05:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
>anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

Not for cycling as Joe Public. Some racing organisations reuire them
I believe.

Tim

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

Others have pointed out the answer, which is "no". A good place to look is
the highway code - www.highwaycode.gov.uk. It would say there "Helmets MUST
be worn" if it was compulsory, but it doesn't.

cheers,
clive

On 12 Apr, 10:44, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> > anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

> Others have pointed out the answer, which is "no". A good place to look is
> the highway code -www.highwaycode.gov.uk. It would say there "Helmets MUST
> be worn" if it was compulsory, but it doesn't.
>
> cheers,
> clive

Of course what is compulsory, is ignoring red lights, especially at
pedestrian crossings, because breaking cadence is a sin, and
pedestrians just love sharing their few miserable allotted seconds to
cross the road, with cyclists, their natural allies.
I've forgotten where the Highway Code says this, but it must be there
somewhere.

On 12 Apr 2007 11:33:27 -0700, "Squashme" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 12 Apr, 10:44, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> >I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
>> > anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

>> Others have pointed out the answer, which is "no". A good place to look is
>> the highway code -www.highwaycode.gov.uk. It would say there "Helmets MUST
>> be worn" if it was compulsory, but it doesn't.
>>
>> cheers,
>> clive

>Of course what is compulsory, is ignoring red lights, especially at
>pedestrian crossings, because breaking cadence is a sin, and
>pedestrians just love sharing their few miserable allotted seconds to
>cross the road, with cyclists, their natural allies.
>I've forgotten where the Highway Code says this, but it must be there
>somewhere.

Yes, that's why all cyclists without exception do it all the time.

If you ever see a cyclist waiting at a pelican it must be a figment of your
imagination.

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Squashme wrote:

> Of course what is compulsory, is ignoring red lights, especially at
> pedestrian crossings, because breaking cadence is a sin, and

I often need to stop at green lights for pedestrians :p
--
Chris Johns

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

The only compulsory helmet law is for children riding horses ( I
don't know about other animals)

Jeremy Parker

Chris Johns wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Squashme wrote:
>
>> Of course what is compulsory, is ignoring red lights, especially at
>> pedestrian crossings, because breaking cadence is a sin, and

> I often need to stop at green lights for pedestrians :p

But as we all know, there is /no/ law in the UK compelling pedestrians
to comply with traffic light signals.

--
Matt B

On Apr 12, 10:05 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

It's hard to prove a negative. Ask the people who say it is to give
you a reference to the actual legislation, eg Extremely Dangerous
Pursuits Act, 2003, Section 666. Tell them you'll assume they're wrong
until they can do that. They might point you to the Highway Code,
which does indeed advise cyclists to wear a plastic hat, but it
doesn't use the word "must" and in any case is not itself the
legislation.

If they can't be bothered to go and look up the (non-existant)
legislation ask them what this was about. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/
uk_news/england/cumbria/4052171.stm>

--
Dave...

On 12 Apr, 10:44, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> > anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

> Others have pointed out the answer, which is "no". A good place to look is
> the highway code -www.highwaycode.gov.uk. It would say there "Helmets MUST
> be worn" if it was compulsory, but it doesn't.
>
> cheers,
> clive

Are there any special bylaws on the Isle of Wight requiring them?
It's just that we were cycling helmetless there a couple of weekends
ago and were subjected to shouted "where are your helmets" comments
from motorists.
I assumed they were just normal morons, but I suppose they might have
known something I don't?

On 13 Apr, 12:03, "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 12 Apr, 10:44, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > >I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> > > anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

> > Others have pointed out the answer, which is "no". A good place to look is
> > the highway code -www.highwaycode.gov.uk. It would say there "Helmets MUST
> > be worn" if it was compulsory, but it doesn't.

> > cheers,
> > clive

> Are there any special bylaws on the Isle of Wight requiring them?
> It's just that we were cycling helmetless there a couple of weekends
> ago and were subjected to shouted "where are your helmets" comments
> from motorists.
> I assumed they were just normal morons, but I suppose they might have
> known something I don't?

"I assumed they were just normal morons,"

You assume correctly.

dkahn400 wrote on 13/04/2007 11:58 +0100:

> It's hard to prove a negative. Ask the people who say it is to give
> you a reference to the actual legislation, eg Extremely Dangerous
> Pursuits Act, 2003, Section 666.

You have to read that one very carefully; the Devil's in the detail ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

On 12 Apr, 19:33, "Squashme" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 12 Apr, 10:44, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > >I can't find it anywhere. Some say it is, some say it's not. Can
> > > anyone confirm one or the other? Thank you.

> > Others have pointed out the answer, which is "no". A good place to look is
> > the highway code -www.highwaycode.gov.uk. It would say there "Helmets MUST
> > be worn" if it was compulsory, but it doesn't.

> > cheers,
> > clive

> Of course what is compulsory, is ignoring red lights, especially at
> pedestrian crossings, because breaking cadence is a sin, and
> pedestrians just love sharing their few miserable allotted seconds to
> cross the road, with cyclists, their natural allies.
> I've forgotten where the Highway Code says this, but it must be there
> somewhere.

It's not merely convention that says that pedestrians should wait for
a light , it's the highway code:
(Rules for pedestrians)

quote:

18: At all crossings. When using any type of crossing you should

always check that the traffic has stopped before you start to cross or
push a pram onto a crossing
always cross between the studs or over the zebra markings. Do not
cross at the side of the crossing or on the zig-zag lines, as it can
be dangerous.
You MUST NOT loiter on zebra, pelican or puffin crossings.
Laws ZPPPCRGD reg 19 & RTRA sect 25(5)

POHB wrote on 13/04/2007 12:03 +0100:

> Are there any special bylaws on the Isle of Wight requiring them?
> It's just that we were cycling helmetless there a couple of weekends
> ago and were subjected to shouted "where are your helmets" comments
> from motorists.
> I assumed they were just normal morons, but I suppose they might have
> known something I don't?

Just normal morons but not my experience of cycling there sans casque.

--

POHB wrote:

> Are there any special bylaws on the Isle of Wight requiring them?
> It's just that we were cycling helmetless there a couple of weekends
> ago and were subjected to shouted "where are your helmets" comments
> from motorists.
> I assumed they were just normal morons, but I suppose they might have
> known something I don't?

Why do you think Hampshire dug a ditch and pushed the IOW out into the sea ;-)

<ducks.

John B

POHB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Are there any special bylaws on the Isle of Wight requiring them?
> It's just that we were cycling helmetless there a couple of weekends
> ago and were subjected to shouted "where are your helmets" comments
> from motorists.

To which the correct answer is one of: "The same place as yours"; "In
the shop" or "... off".

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

"POHB" <[email protected]> writes:

> Are there any special bylaws on the Isle of Wight requiring them?
> It's just that we were cycling helmetless there a couple of weekends
> ago and were subjected to shouted "where are your helmets" comments
> from motorists.
> I assumed they were just normal morons, but I suppose they might have
> known something I don't?

Makes a change from "your wheel's going round!" I suppose.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Quoting Chris Eilbeck <[email protected]>:
>Makes a change from "your wheel's going round!" I suppose.

"She's not pedalling" - we had four last time we were out on the tandem, I
think.
Today is Wednesday, April.