Is High5 Isotonic available in the US?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Christopher Ste, May 14, 2003.

  1. I am involved in organizing a long-distance swimming event taking place in New York next month. One
    of our competitors is coming over from Ireland, and he has asked me if something called High5, an
    isotonic drink, is available in the over here. Understandably, he would rather not have to take a
    tub of white powder through US Customs.

    As a native New Yorker I like to think that we can get anything here, but a quick search on the web
    doesn't show any US sources for the stuff. Do any of you super-athletes know of a local resource?

    Thanks,

    Christopher Stephens

    reply to [email protected], without the "nospam"

    Tags:

  2. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    They also sell it in 60g sachets. Customs won't have a problem with a sealed pouch labeled as a
    sports drink. If he brings the whole tub, just bring a new one, particularly if it's sealed. Even if
    they open it, the customs people aren't stupid and they have cute little dogs that can tell the
    difference very quickly.

    An aside - a couple of years ago I ticked "yes" on the food items question and when the agent in LAX
    asked what I had, I presented a large jar of Vegemite. He screwed up his face and snapped back,
    "That's not food, get outta here!"

    Alan.

    "Christopher Stephens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am involved in organizing a long-distance swimming event taking place in New York next month.
    > One of our competitors is coming over from Ireland, and he has asked me if something called High5,
    > an isotonic drink, is available in the over here. Understandably, he would rather not have to take
    > a tub of white powder through US Customs.
    >
    > As a native New Yorker I like to think that we can get anything here, but a quick search on the
    > web doesn't show any US sources for the stuff. Do any of you super-athletes know of a local
    > resource?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Christopher Stephens
    >
    > reply to [email protected], without the "nospam"

  3. John Hardt

    John Hardt Guest

    On 5/15/03 9:30 PM, "Alan Walker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > They also sell it in 60g sachets. Customs won't have a problem with a sealed pouch labeled as a
    > sports drink. If he brings the whole tub, just bring a new one, particularly if it's sealed. Even
    > if they open it, the customs people aren't stupid and they have cute little dogs that can tell the
    > difference very quickly.
    >
    > An aside - a couple of years ago I ticked "yes" on the food items question and when the agent in
    > LAX asked what I had, I presented a large jar of Vegemite. He screwed up his face and snapped
    > back, "That's not food, get outta here!"
    >
    > Alan.

    The operative words here are "a couple of years ago"...

    These days authorities in the US tend to be a little skittish about white powder they don't
    recognize.

    I'm sure you can get High5 through customs if you really need to. But you better be prepared to show
    some patience, and allow some extra time as a traveler. If I had the choice, I would certainly
    prefer to acquire the stuff upon arrival.

    John