Is it a shock for a beginner solo rider to compete in his first race?

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
I've been riding solo ever since I bought my bike about 2 months ago. I can't train with anyone else because of my schedule...usually I ride my bike when I get home in the late evening (3AM or so). I've never experienced what it's like to ride in a pack and was wondering if entering my first race will be a real shock to me? I think I'm fit but I don't believe I have the skills or confidence to ride closely with others in a race environment.

yes it can be very shocking, especially if you have never ridden in a bunch before.

the pace can be mind blowing at first, and will probably send you out the back (unless your super fit). you get used to it eventually and it doesnt become too much of a problem.

then there is the cornering at high speeds when packed tightly together in a bunch. this can be quite scary but again it becomes 2nd nature after a few races.

i would recommend joineg a club and doing a few club rides before going straight into a race with no close riding experience.

Show up to a race, take someone down, and then tell everyone it's the first time you've ridden in a group. Come on, is this a serious post. Find some groups to ride with at easy speeds, progress to the faster groups for a while, and then go terrorize the cat 5's. Nobody cares if you are fit. Only if you can handle your machine. One step at a time.

Whatever you do in your first race, don't cause a crash.... don't worry if you finish last. Aim to finish 2nd last. Anything better and you can be proud.

My first race.

Trained on the course almost everyday for a month before the race. (I didn't see anybody else training on it.).

Was nervous but confident.

It was a 3 lap 16 km criterium.

1st lap. **** this is easy. We're flying along at 46kph and it feels easy.

2nd lap. A group break away and I chase and catch them bringing about 5 with me.

3rd lap. I'm done. Dropped. Older guys in my club start passing me. Can't get my drink back in the holder. Push the pedals down and am burnt. Finished about 6th last.

What did I learn?

Train harder, ride smarter. Get more races under my belt.

2nd race finished 12th.

5th race finished 4th.

6th race finished 3rd.

Got promoted to the next rank and now have to start all over again....

Have done about 20 races now and my TDF is in November. Possibly my only chance for a win. 100 days to go and I have everyday checked in my diary.....

Good luck.

Yeah Im about to enter my first race in 54 days and it seems so agonizing waiting. But the time to train helps. Iv always been good at riding close to people on bikes but iv never riden in a any formation not to mention a peleton. I plan to enter a Cat 5 criterium in october. I dont exactly plan to win on my $200 used Nishiki bike but i plan to get some expierience riding in a race. I might trade in the Nishiki and some money for a way better bike before the race so i have a lil bit of a chance. The only thing is people are talking about going 40 mph in races when the fastest iv ever been in a sprint is 29.5 mph.

LS17 said:
I've been riding solo ever since I bought my bike about 2 months ago. I can't train with anyone else because of my schedule...usually I ride my bike when I get home in the late evening (3AM or so). I've never experienced what it's like to ride in a pack and was wondering if entering my first race will be a real shock to me? I think I'm fit but I don't believe I have the skills or confidence to ride closely with others in a race environment.

Yes. Good luck.

If you plan on being competitive, you simply have to find a group to ride with. Not just for the experience of being in a group, but you push yourself harder when you're out with other people.

There's nothing like the sight of a buddy pulling away to get that last bit of extra strength out of you. Or on a long hill, hearing the guy behind you starting to puff and groan, to get you to reach way down inside and find the strength to up the pace and finish him off. You don't slack off when the group isn't slowing, you never want to be the one that cracks.

Training alone is critical, and often necessary. But, the group rides with my buddies is where I find the motivation to give 110%, when we're all hurting.

the only problem is cycling isnt exactly the most popular sport and finding people to ride with is pretty hard.