Is it best to get bike shorts

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by steveo2004, Jan 21, 2005.

1. steveo2004

steveo2004 New Member

Hey all I am new to bike riding and I was wanting to know would it be best to get bike shorts? and if so what type and would you get the ones that fit right or one size down for best fit?

And also being a male what would be the best way to stop your you know what from saying hello to the world as much?

Tags:

2. Ian Wright

Ian Wright New Member

Firstly, I recommend bib brace type shorts as they stay in the correct position, ie, the chamios does bunch up, however they are expensive A$100 upwards. Just starting ordinary cycling shorts might be a better bet as bibshorts are for the serious.

Brands:
    I use ASSOS, but they are an expensive top end brand, however ,there are many other brands on the market and once below the top end quality differences are minimal as I believe the main difference is found in the chamios construction.

Other considerations:
    Underwear - you should never wear underwear with cycling shorts. They are specially designed to be worn next to your skin. If you do wear underwear, you will probably end up with some uncomfortably sore areas and you will not be as comfortable on your bike as you could be. (It goes without saying that shorts should therefore be washed after every ride. You should also avoid wearing anyone else's shorts for hygiene reasons.)

Fit - cycling shorts should fit (lycra) - loose material will rub and could eventually cause sores or blisters. Also your you know what will not say hello to the world.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    IW

3. cycleski

cycleski New Member

I agree with Ian about the bibs, they are best for the long ride as more comfortable and less restriction on the lungs for the hard push.
    I bought shorts ($31) and bibs from www.probikekit.com for $42ea + post the savings over several items more than cover the postage costs. The quality is high as items are made in Italy and materials and design win points as well, ( I dont get commission :p) Keep the total cost below $240 and avoid customs duty as a tip. The items arrived within the week from UK. Long rides without bike shorts with comfort insert - no way :eek:. Also a good cycle top wicks moisture and beats a cotton top which gets and stays wet - then cold on the fast downhill sections - do yourself a favour. Keep cycling.
    Can buy from USA sites as well but not as simple as probikekit, cheap though on clearance sales.
    PS to retain your dignity buy only black or navy shorts the padded insert hides the spout but white is for flashers and red , what can I say but dont do it. If your an exhibitionist disregard the ps :eek:

4. motorhommer

motorhommer New Member

Dont like bibs myself. Not good for hot weather. Buy a pair of black cycling chamois shorts called knicks. I wear a pair of cycling shorts, which do not have a chamois over these. These are more like ordinary shorts but are made of a weather proof material which does not soak water and dries quickly. Don;t know if you have Decatholon over there but price there is cheap.

During cold weather I add a pair of leg warmers to the above.

Hope this is of some use to you.

5. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

It you want to try out a pair of bike shorts at low cost, Aldi have them on special next thursday.

6. Miss Meow

Miss Meow New Member

Cippo is the only man who ever looked good in red - loved the Saeco :D But then again, even dreadful zebra print still looked good on him *need an off in dreamland smilie*. My partner has a vintage pair of bright aqua Kelly knicks and I'll celebrate the day those flasher pants go to bike heaven.

Sometimes my probikekit orders come from Sydney, which is quicker with no risk of customs duty. But my last one came from England. Curious. Maybe they keep some high-turnover stock here.

If your you-know-what is saying hello, then either stop riding behind girls or train harder. Shouldn't be a problem :eek: :)

7. AzzaC

AzzaC New Member

Pearl Izumi are my preference for knicks. They're at the top of the price bracket, but are so very comfortable.

Netti make an excellent pair of knicks for the price. I used to wear their "Pronix". About $65-70. You should choose a pair of knicks with 8 panels (some cheaper ones have 6). you can't tell the difference in fit walking around, but they make a big difference as they fit much better when on the bike.

And if its saying 'hello', ride faster, or wear a pair of light shorts over the top of your knicks, or get a pair of "baggies" which are basically shorts with knicks sewn inside them. They are more expensive than the normal knicks though.

8. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

What is this thing with wearing baggy shorts over knicks? I just don't get it. It simply draws attention to the fact that the wearer is embarrassed wearing cycling clothes. If you've got an athletic bod, show it off: in the vast majority of cases you'll either be ignored or appreciated. (If you don't, ride more until you do ! :) )

9. motorhommer

motorhommer New Member

Comfort in cold

10. Shreklookalike

Shreklookalike New Member

Steve,
    It really depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. If you're interested in racing or if you want to do some distance training, by all means purchase some shorts or bibs. If you're just going to take some leisurely rides of an hour or less, don't bother. My morning commute ride takes an hour and I do it in my work clothes with no problem. If I'm going to be out longer than an hour I gear up.

If you're going to ride often enough that you want multiple pairs, but you're not ready to part with a lot of cash, check out eBay. You can pick up three or four used pairs for the price of a single new pair.

Bibs fit better, but they're a pain when your bladder forces a pit stop because you've got to undo your jersey before you can lower them. :(

Unless you're hung like Mr. Ed and get aroused while riding your one-eyed wonder worm should stay discreetly behind the chamois. ;)

11. Tmax1

Tmax1 New Member

Too funny!!

12. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

It's hard to imagine that a baggy pair of shorts provides much warmth.

13. Marx SS

Marx SS New Member

I'm guilty of running shorts (whether 'baggy' or 3/4) over my cycling nicks.

Sans cycling top (wearing T shirt) I can carry stuff in the pockets, usually used when commuting out to dinner, lunch, movies, whatever.
    Also my cycling shoes look alot like runners, but race team matching top & nicks might be alittle lairy @ Cinema Nova or the Continential.
    Riding MTBs it's accepted that shorts are worn time to time, unlike the roadie-set, it's alittle less well, formal.

14. Wrightstuff

Wrightstuff New Member

Always get the correct size and definately not too small. The knicks are supposed to stop chafing and give free movent and are supposed to be snug without cutting off circulation. As to how they look, dont worry, the chamois up front tends to diffuse out the genitals in the way a pair of budgie smugglers don't. Some colours also minimise the bulge, some accentuate. I have been told black hides, red accentuates. Also get a cycling top with pockets or a seat bag to hold the stuff that is normally in your pockets.

15. greenmig

greenmig New Member

I am not hung like Mr Ed however I have a pair of Netti's thats a little too big now since I have lost weight from cycling alot. The chamois tends to slip down and shows the outline of the cabanossi. :eek: So my tip to you is make sure you get a snug fit and bib knicks are the only way to go when you are doing decent km's and with some intensity thrown in. :) Try and steer clear from your LBS as they will rip you off. Buy online from ebay stores or probikekit or parkers or wait for LBS to have a sale. :D

16. WiseSal

WiseSal New Member

Thanks for your reply re: Giant CRX1, I'm a happy woman!!
    The stuff at Aldi is of mixed quality. My husband bought some nix and is happy with them. My girlfriend also bought them and hates them. The chamois rides up into a very uncomfortable place! They both bought the shirts and are happy reasonably happy with those.
    I bought the shy shorts and they are OK but not brilliant, the padding is a bit light on. (What can you expect for $20?)
    What I find really amusining, is, some entrepreneurs have bought up Aldi's stuff and are reselling on EBay for a profit!

17. mds2076

mds2076 New Member

Too right....the cover up of cycling shorts is just shows up the cyclists with a degree of insecurity...and it just looks wrong. It's only the paranoid ppl that think everyone is looking at the bulge in their bike shorts...and that's coming from someone who wishes they would look :)

18. WiseSal

WiseSal New Member

Each to his/her own, the main thing is... Enjoy the Ride!!!

19. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I took the chamios out of my Aldi shorts, I use them & Speedos to go to and from swimming training. I understood the chamios was for peeing on the bike :eek: , I prefer to stop and find a loo. :cool:

20. Maverick5

Maverick5 New Member

My understanding is you are wrong.