Is it common to have the wrong size seatpost installed on a new bike?

Seat post keeps slipping even though the quick release is very tight.
Dealer wants me to replace the QR with a bolt. I can actually rock the
post back to front a bit. This has never been the case with any of my
other bikes, and I don't want to crush the tube if the post is the
wrong size. Post looks like 30.9, tube looks like 31. Should I look
for a 31 post or just crank down the bolt. Thanks for the help. Pedro

[email protected] wrote:
> Seat post keeps slipping even though the quick release is very tight.
> Dealer wants me to replace the QR with a bolt. I can actually rock the
> post back to front a bit. This has never been the case with any of my
> other bikes, and I don't want to crush the tube if the post is the
> wrong size. Post looks like 30.9, tube looks like 31. Should I look
> for a 31 post or just crank down the bolt. Thanks for the help. Pedro

Looks like? The post should have the size indicated. You can find the
tube diameter on the web. Then you have something to work with.

--

David L. Johnson

The motor car reflects our standard of living and gauges the speed of
our present life. It long ago ran down Simple Living, and never halted
to inquire about the prostrate figure which fell as its victim.
-- Warren G. Harding

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Seat post keeps slipping even though the quick release is very tight.
> Dealer wants me to replace the QR with a bolt. I can actually rock the
> post back to front a bit. This has never been the case with any of my
> other bikes, and I don't want to crush the tube if the post is the
> wrong size. Post looks like 30.9, tube looks like 31. Should I look
> for a 31 post or just crank down the bolt. Thanks for the help. Pedro

Get a micrometer or vernier calipers, or have the LBS guy, measure both
parts. Do not crank it down first.

On Aug 8, 6:56 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Seat post keeps slipping even though the quick release is very tight.
> Dealer wants me to replace the QR with a bolt. I can actually rock the
> post back to front a bit. This has never been the case with any of my
> other bikes, and I don't want to crush the tube if the post is the
> wrong size. Post looks like 30.9, tube looks like 31. Should I look
> for a 31 post or just crank down the bolt. Thanks for the help. Pedro

Take the bike back to the department store/walmart/toysrus you bought
it from, get a full refund and then go to real bike shop and get some
real help. If it was a bike shop find another one.

David L. Johnson wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Seat post keeps slipping even though the quick release is very
>> tight. Dealer wants me to replace the QR with a bolt. I can actually
>> rock the post back to front a bit. This has never been the case with
>> any of my other bikes, and I don't want to crush the tube if the
>> post is the wrong size. Post looks like 30.9, tube looks like 31.
>> Should I look for a 31 post or just crank down the bolt. Thanks for
>> the help. Pedro

> Looks like? The post should have the size indicated. You can find
> the tube diameter on the web. Then you have something to work with.

I have some slippage on a replacement seatpost that is the correct size.
This slippage varies by season, and seems to be due to the frame being one
material (aluminum) and the replacement seatpost being another (steel). But
I wouldn't expect this to be the case with a new bike, and I certainly can't
"rock the post back to front a bit.".

As DLJ says, get the measurements and continue from there.

"Marz" wrote: Take the bike back to the department store/walmart/toysrus
you bought it from, get a full refund and then go to real bike shop and get
some real help. If it was a bike shop find another one.
I doubt that it came from a department store, Walmart or ToysRus. They're
not smart enough to come up with even a bogus solution like that. It must
have come from a bicycle shop--a sleazy one. If the mechanic/salesman
thinks that's the right solution, he's not worthy of the name. And if he
know better and still suggests a bolt, well, I hate crooks, liars and
cheats.