Is it easier with the shoes?

Dave Pace

Aug 3, 2012
Is it easier with the shoes and clip less peddles to peddle properly (Full circle, not just potato mash) I noticed that I am a masher, and I am trying to re-train myself to do full circles, but my current bike does not have clipless peddles, and I do not have the shoes for said peddles. Needless to say I can feel my feet always changing positions when I push at the top or pull at the bottom of my strokes on peddles, Or I will just loose contact with the peddle when I am coming up on the back side.

It really feels that I may be doing more damage than good with out the proper gear. Should I just wait for the new bike and shoes on the 25th, or should I just keep going as I am as practice will make perfect?

First, no one pedals full circles. Our physiology isn't ideal for that, and some studies have shown that pedaling actually can be less efficient when trying to pedal in circles. I suggest doing a search of the forum for topics related to pedaling in circles. There've been a lot of threads about it. Cycling shoes can make you feel more connected to the bike, and for some cycling shoes appear to offer better bike control. Note that when I say "cycling shoes" I'm assuming a rider is using them with clipless pedals. Because of their increased sole stiffness compared to street shoes, cycling shoes can also offer more comfort on long rides and less fatigue. For some, the excessive flexing of street shoes and thus their feet increases fatigue and can produce sore feet. My feet feel much better in cycling shoes. Riding significant distances without cycling shoes makes my too many times broken feet feel sub-optimal. Additionally cycling shoes offer a way to correct my leg length discrepancy, something which has caused problems in the past on a bike but also something that doesn't cause problems when I walk. With all that said, it's not absolutely clear that cycling shoes necessarily provide a performance benefit. Daveryanwyoming has said that he's seen little difference in performance (on some rides, at least) between training rides with cycling shoes vs. training rides with tennies. YMMV.

So full circles are not good from what I have just seen in several topics/threads/links. But there seems to be debate on the "Scraping off the mud" Some say it helps with keeping the peddling smooth, and also helps to rest the power muscles a bit.

I've watched folks do 105 miles on a loaded touring bike in Converse Hi-Tops.

Be. My. Guest.

So I am guessing that the shoes are there to give you a solid platform on which you continually have your feet in the exact same position every time, so that you can perfect that riding position/style. Am I correct in saying that?

Originally Posted by Dave Pace .

So I am guessing that the shoes are there to give you a solid platform on which you continually have your feet in the exact same position every time, so that you can perfect that riding position/style. Am I correct in saying that?
Yes, you are mostly correct.

Ride what you brung, but be open to the experience of new shoes and pedals when you get them.