Is It Fixed? Wobbly Rear Wheel

sandy

Guest
3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
come. 90% street riding.

"sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
> the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
> bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
> to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
> come. 90% street riding.

Chances are it won't happen again for quite awhile with just street riding.

Before every ride place one hand on the seat and the other on the rear tire
(standing next tot the bike) and try to pull the rear wheel towards you. If
you feel play tighten it up.

"sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
> the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
> bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
> to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
> come. 90% street riding.

If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
to come loose again.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
> > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
> > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
> > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
> > come. 90% street riding.

> If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
> to come loose again.
>
> Mike

I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
the pavement.

JD

>> If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
>> to come loose again.
>>
>> Mike

>I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
>cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
>the pavement.
>
>JD

I don't claim to be an expert but this seems to vary with different
hubs/axles. Solid axles seem to be almost immune from the problem once
setup and in use until the next bearings greasing when you might have
to fiddle to get them right initially. Quick release axles seem to
create more problems in this regard although I don't remember having
such problems with my old Raleigh racer with its quick release wheels.
I have a Kona Lanai and the compression of the quick release mechanism
effects the cone tension and spin of the wheel. They seem a very ****
design considering they are the most recent.

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
> > > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
> > > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
> > > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
> > > come. 90% street riding.

> > If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
> > to come loose again.
> >
> > Mike

> I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
> cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
> the pavement.

Ditto.

Paul WORD hubs have a reputation of coming loose whether tightened
properly or not.

Remedy with red Loc-tite, but they shouldn't come loose in the
first place if they are designed properly. They aren't IMO.
Soon to replace them with Surly.

Martin Wilson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >> If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
> >> to come loose again.
> >>
> >> Mike

> >I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
> >cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
> >the pavement.
> >
> >JD

> I don't claim to be an expert but this seems to vary with different
> hubs/axles. Solid axles seem to be almost immune from the problem once
> setup and in use until the next bearings greasing when you might have
> to fiddle to get them right initially.

Sure, my Hugi hubs never have this problem, however the OP is
obviously a newb and I just can't see this newb's bike as leaning
towards the higher end of componentry. My commuter's hubs are Formula
brand with solid through axles. I've had all of the way up to XT have
the cone "problem" which is always easily remedied with the correct
cone wrenches.

JD

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
> > > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
> > > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
> > > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
> > > come. 90% street riding.

> > If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is

unlikely
> > to come loose again.
> >
> > Mike

> I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
> cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
> the pavement.

Yeah, but you're a Freak. ;^)

I've never had issue with my XT or XTR cup & cone hubs, then again your
commuter bike probably sees more miles in a few months than my XC bike sees
in a year.

Mike

Some pavement are rougher then off road. Know where
those potholes are and learn how to miss them. Theres allways that one
pothole / sinkhole that pops up over night.

I MTB 2004