Is It Fixed? Wobbly Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by sandy, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. sandy

    sandy Guest

    3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
    the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
    bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
    to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
    come. 90% street riding.

    Tags:

  2. scott

    scott Guest

    "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
    > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
    > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
    > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
    > come. 90% street riding.

    Chances are it won't happen again for quite awhile with just street riding.

    Before every ride place one hand on the seat and the other on the rear tire
    (standing next tot the bike) and try to pull the rear wheel towards you. If
    you feel play tighten it up.

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
    > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
    > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
    > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
    > come. 90% street riding.

    If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
    to come loose again.

    Mike

  4. JD

    JD Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
    > > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
    > > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
    > > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
    > > come. 90% street riding.

    > If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
    > to come loose again.
    >
    > Mike

    I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
    cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
    the pavement.

    JD

  5. >> If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
    >> to come loose again.
    >>
    >> Mike

    >I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
    >cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
    >the pavement.
    >
    >JD

    I don't claim to be an expert but this seems to vary with different
    hubs/axles. Solid axles seem to be almost immune from the problem once
    setup and in use until the next bearings greasing when you might have
    to fiddle to get them right initially. Quick release axles seem to
    create more problems in this regard although I don't remember having
    such problems with my old Raleigh racer with its quick release wheels.
    I have a Kona Lanai and the compression of the quick release mechanism
    effects the cone tension and spin of the wheel. They seem a very crap
    design considering they are the most recent.

  6. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
    > > > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
    > > > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
    > > > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
    > > > come. 90% street riding.

    > > If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
    > > to come loose again.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
    > cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
    > the pavement.

    Ditto.

    Paul WORD hubs have a reputation of coming loose whether tightened
    properly or not.

    Remedy with red Loc-tite, but they shouldn't come loose in the
    first place if they are designed properly. They aren't IMO.
    Soon to replace them with Surly.

  7. JD

    JD Guest

    Martin Wilson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is unlikely
    > >> to come loose again.
    > >>
    > >> Mike

    > >I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
    > >cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
    > >the pavement.
    > >
    > >JD

    > I don't claim to be an expert but this seems to vary with different
    > hubs/axles. Solid axles seem to be almost immune from the problem once
    > setup and in use until the next bearings greasing when you might have
    > to fiddle to get them right initially.

    Sure, my Hugi hubs never have this problem, however the OP is
    obviously a newb and I just can't see this newb's bike as leaning
    towards the higher end of componentry. My commuter's hubs are Formula
    brand with solid through axles. I've had all of the way up to XT have
    the cone "problem" which is always easily remedied with the correct
    cone wrenches.

    JD

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > 3 months old and I noticed that there was about a half inch of play on
    > > > the rear wheel. took it in and the guy tightened and repacked the
    > > > bearings. looks and feels alright. so is this something that is bound
    > > > to happen again or unlikely and/ or is it a harbinger of things to
    > > > come. 90% street riding.

    > > If your mechanic tightened the locknuts on the axle properly it is

    unlikely
    > > to come loose again.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > I beg to differ with that notion. I have to balance the rear hub
    > cones on my commuter at least once a month and that bike never leaves
    > the pavement.

    Yeah, but you're a Freak. ;^)

    I've never had issue with my XT or XTR cup & cone hubs, then again your
    commuter bike probably sees more miles in a few months than my XC bike sees
    in a year.

    Mike

  9. Some pavement are rougher then off road. Know where
    those potholes are and learn how to miss them. Theres allways that one
    pothole / sinkhole that pops up over night.

    I MTB 2004