Is it good to take Ibuprofen?

Iankatz said:
Does it hurt or help?
I don't know what you ae talking about. Ibuprofen is an analgesic/pain reliever. I take it to relieve a headache or flu symptoms. It is not a pep pill, it is not an ergogenic aid and, like most other drugs cannot be fooled around with safely.

Uh, does this question have a meaning or something? heh heh.....meaning...i said meaning.

I think he's asking if it has any performance effects..... I would say no, and if it had any they would be small and have a super-high risk. I believe an overdose of ibuprofin basically kills your kidneys. Not fun.

Iankatz said:
Does it hurt or help?
It really depends on the reason for taking it. If it is for occational pain, then it can be helpful. But to use it as a crutch to mask poor training or lifestyle habits, then it an hurt. There are also research studies out there that indicate that the cronic use of NSAIDs inhibit the body's natural recovery and rebuilding process after hard training.

in.10.city said:
It really depends on the reason for taking it. If it is for occasional pain, then it can be helpful. But to use it as a crutch to mask poor training or lifestyle habits, then it will hurt. There are also research studies out there that indicate that the cronic use of NSAIDs inhibit the body's natural recovery and rebuilding process after hard training.
Agree 100%. I read an article about this not too long ago. It seems that when one does rigorous workouts that results in DOMS it is best NOT to take it as it will block certain receptor sites and inhibit recovery. Not a very smart thing to do.

Basically if somebody is exercising too hard,
1) They aren't conditioned enough to handle it yet ... and...
2) They need to back off and find the proper balance of exercise and recovery

I only take ibuprofin for migraines, sinus headaches and the occasional flare up of gout.

Doctor Morbius said:
Agree 100%. I read an article about this not too long ago. It seems that when one does rigorous workouts that results in DOMS it is best NOT to take it as it will block certain receptor sites and inhibit recovery. Not a very smart thing to do.

I only take ibuprofin for migraines, sinus headaches and the occasional flare up of gout.

G'day All, I agree with the posts regarding that very dangerous drug, I was given ibruprofin several years ago for the pain of athritis. It was the worst thing I ever did, I only had three tablets and broke out in the biggest coverage of boils (skin eruptions) you have ever seen, from head to toe?

When I confronted the doctor about the condition he waved away my complaint and told me that was the price I would have to pay for taking the drug? After I overturned his surgery he asked me to leave? Politely of course?

Needlesss to say I never took any more of them and changed my diet and way of life with the aid of a "Naturopath". Since then I have never looked back, except to see who I dropped on the last climb?

Seriously, a man who helped me out of the mire, Dr. Erik Hedendahl, from the USA has been instrumental in doing so many good things for me and a lot of others here, he is a genius. A phylosophy I subscribe to "There Has Never Been Body Put On This Planet That has Ever Been Defficient of Drugs", is all so true.

I follow that advice, to the letter, if you do as Doctor Morbius says and find a better way of training, and there are many, then given the right amount of time and good nutrition the human body has an "Inate Wisdom" that will repair most if not all things the ail it. It is made to do that, that is why we survive some of the most debiltating diseases known to mankind.

That Is all I can add to this thread, I hope you don't get on my case too hard as I'm only a little fellow, however if you do I'll bite real hard.

Monty Python is a Mentor to me also, "There's nothing wrong with that"?TBC

Just some advice - I only use painkillers or sleeping pills to help me get to sleep occasionally; but this means I'm overtraining or not feeling well and must modify my program to fit my present condition.

Using anti-imflamatory medication to help with comfort and recovery from injury makes sense. Using it to keep up with an unhealthy training regimen is counterproductive.

Our bodies can't operate at 90 - 100% trainning intensity all the time so listen to what it's trying to say.

So take care of yourself, use supplements in moderation and drugs only under close medical supervision.

Doctor Morbius said:

I also read the other day that it can provide the unwanted side-effect (as opposed to the "oh pleeeeease can I have that" wanted one...duh) of stripping away the mucous layer within the gut, so not to good for those with sensitive digestive systems.

Are you, per chance, confusing ibuprofen for headache/cold products containing pseudoephedrine?

Gilders said:
I also read the other day that it can provide the unwanted side-effect (as opposed to the "oh pleeeeease can I have that" wanted one...duh) of stripping away the mucous layer within the gut, so not to good for those with sensitive digestive systems.

Are you, per chance, confusing ibuprofen for headache/cold products containing pseudoephedrine?
Gliders, are you asking me or the original poster? I'm not confusing the two. I was talking about IBUPROFEN or Advil. Pseudoephedrine has it's own demons.

Gout?
I had that once around the Christmas period and was virtually in tears. It was a chronic reaction to Raw Gland. My foot swelled up like a club and I couldn't walk till the doctor gave me some pills to get shot of it. Never had it since.

Doctor Morbius said:

Doctor Morbius said:
Gliders, are you asking me or the original poster? I'm not confusing the two. I was talking about IBUPROFEN or Advil. Pseudoephedrine has it's own demons.

Ah no, Dr. M, question was in response to the original poster's query! Read through your post, which provided a sensible continuation point for me to add mine. Wondering if it's a case of their possible confusion, given that pseudoephedrine has had alot of publicity attached to it of late re: performance enhancing properties. Frankly, wouldn't recommend it either.

If not, not really sure what they mean in asking if it's good to take ibuprofen as no context is provided!

Ibuprofen thins the blood, which isn't too much of a problem unless you have blood problems to begin with (immune deficiency, hemophilia, etc.).

Iankatz said:
Does it hurt or help?
Ibuprofen can be beneficial when taken to reduce the inflammitory effect of an injury, such as a sprain, strain or other musculoskeletal injuries. This also insinuates a short-term scenario on the rare (hopefully) occasion that you incur an injury that is unusual to cycling.
Taking ibuprofen regularly as a means of reducing the "normal" soreness associated with intense or prolonged exercise certainly has some negative side-effects: negative effects on the gut have been mentioned and are well documented. A less well known effect that has more to do with day-to-day exercise is how ibuprofen effects protein metabolism ... check this out:
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/3/E551
Similar studies also use eccentric exercise to induce muscle soreness, which doesn't occur during cycling, but I see no reason for the physiologic response to ibuprofen ingestion following cycling to be any different. The key point is that this research is looking at protein metabolism, it's just that eccectric exercise is the best method for producing delayed onset muscle soreness and is therefore the method of choice for researchers.