Is it insane to attempt a 100 mile charity ride on a Single Speed Mountain Bike?

Lobo Tommy

Guest
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:

> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

No.

Every year on RAGBRAI, there is a pair of brothers, now in their 70s,
riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-era schwinns, riding the full course in
long shirts and long pants.

Their saddles sport hand-lettered signs "Gears Are For Wimps".

..max

--
the part of <[email protected]>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

In article <[email protected]>, empbt6
@yahoo.com says...
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

If you are riding in the mountains, then yes, but elsewhere it depends
on your conditioning. If you're a strong rider, then it might be a nice
challenge.

newsgroups if possible).

Lobo Tommy wrote:
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

If you could do it you'd know and wouldn't need to ask
..
--
Perre

Lobo Tommy wrote:
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Only if that's too much for you.
I know some people who would have no problem and some others who might die.

Matt

>Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Mount a pair of slicks and have at it. Since it's a charity ride there will no
doubt be a SAG wagon should you need it.

Actually, this is a pretty good/safe way to try to stretch your limits. And if
you really want to push it, ditch your freewheel for a fixed cog.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Kind of a stupid question. If you live in a flat area, like TX, OH, FL or
something who cares if you have gears? If you live in an area that is very
hilly, then it would be harder. With the right single speed you can do most
anything, it just takes longer than if you had a multi. I think people ride
singles to impress other people mostly IMHO. I could care less. I am into
speed and hills, so singles are a waste of time for someone that wants to go
fast. All I can say is.... care to race around western PA?

Curt

"Lobo Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

SInglespeed/Fixed gear is more about going back to simplicity than anything.
It's like how some folks prefer the simplicity of an old pre-computerized
car.

Given the singlespeed is not the most efficient thing in the world, but it
is probably quite a bit more reliable than a multi-gear bike, especially
under abuse. BMXs are dominantly singlespeed for a reason ;)

BTW, if my overweight butt can do 60 on a mtn bike....you can at least give
it a shot. Just make sure your gearing is not too wimpy or too aggressive
and go have some fun.
news:[email protected]...

Lobo Tommy wrote:
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

Nope. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun (depending on the severity
hills, of course.) Several centuries I've been to would have been perfectly
fine on a SS. It would, of course, make it more difficult that on a
standard road bike or mountain bike in most cases, but certainly it's
perfectly doable.

Do not let other people talk you out of this. You'll never know for
yourself if you don't. "Just do it", and then come back and tell us how it
went.

Regards,
H.

Lobo Tommy,

Of course it's insane! But remember, all great acheivements are born
from insanity. Plus, even more importantlier, the disappointed from not
doing it will be more painful than the suffering you'll go through doing
it. Although they may be close. :-7

T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO
Z to S to email

"Lobo Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

No.

I plan to ride our local 170 mile benifit ride on my Bullit. The 5th and
the SPV fork will really help on this. I am also getting the Maxis Hookwork
2.5" tires too.

David Kerber wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, empbt6
> @yahoo.com says...
>> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

> If you are riding in the mountains, then yes, but elsewhere it depends
> on your conditioning. If you're a strong rider, then it might be a nice
> challenge.

Agreed. Just evaluate the type of terrain you will be riding on, average it
out, and then choose the appropriate ratio. If you go too low, you'll be
in for a looong 100 miles and you'll look like a hamster. If you go too
high, you'll suffer from too much exertion, especially if you hit a steep
hill.

WWWD?

John M What Would Wheeler Do?

On 12 Jul 2004 12:43:18 -0700, [email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:

>Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

It may not be optimal, but it's certainly do-able if you aren't
climbing mountains, and even then there are probably people who can do
it. You know your own abilities better than anyone here. What's your
previous long ride on this bike? What's your previous long ride on
any bike?

Have fun whatever you decide.

MP

I know I couldn't do it, but if I were in your position, I would start on
the single speed, and have someone standing by with another bike, already
loaded on the car as a stubstitute, and a cell phone.

[email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

My friend Craig used to borrow mine to do a charity century every
year. This year he took his son and they rode a tandem.

Can be done, if you're in shape for it. You might want to put road
tires on it.

Paladin

[email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this question.

I've seen these on STP (Seattle-to-Portland), which is 200 miles over
one or two days. But people ride just about anything on STP. There's
usually a dozen handcycles. I've seen single speed cruisers, too.
Every year there's at least one unicycle, and I hear there's a
unicycling team going out this year. There are also people who skate
it -- even in one day, which is quite an accomplishment for an in-line
skater.

For comparison purposes, here's STP's elevation profile:
http://www.jimcarson.com/images/stpdistance.png

Warm Regards,

CP
Home of the meditative cyclist:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:52:45 GMT, curt <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think people ride
> singles to impress other people mostly IMHO. I could care less. I am into
> speed and hills, so singles are a waste of time for someone that wants to go
> fast. All I can say is.... care to race around western PA?
>
> Curt

BZZZT! (on all counts)

The fastest dudes I know are faster on their SS bikes. Why?
They _have_ to be. It's either crank it hard in the hills
or walk.

SSers win lots of multi-speed races.

I won't debate that my FS has an advantage on the
tech/gnarly downhill stuff, OR that I can generally ride
longer on the FS because I stay out of the anaerobic zone
more, but SS bikes are definitely not slower.

As far as looking cool...that's probably part of it, but
most SSers just wanted to try something different.

Gman

Gman sez:

>I won't debate that my FS has an advantage on the
>tech/gnarly downhill stuff, OR that I can generally ride
>longer on the FS because I stay out of the anaerobic zone
>more, but SS bikes are definitely not slower.

This has me wonder if nine gears in the rear is really more useful that
8, 7 or even 5. As long as the largest and smallest cogs are the same
size, does having the extra invening gears help or get used much? Or are
the extra cogs there to make shifting smoother?

I am asking because I'm curious, not because I'm a retro grouch. I may
be gettin' on up there, but I don't use friction thumb shifters anymore.
:-7

T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO
Z to S to email

On 2004-07-13, Sunastar penned:
> Gman sez:
>
>>I won't debate that my FS has an advantage on the tech/gnarly downhill
>>stuff, OR that I can generally ride longer on the FS because I stay
>>out of the anaerobic zone more, but SS bikes are definitely not
>>slower.

> This has me wonder if nine gears in the rear is really more useful
> that 8, 7 or even 5. As long as the largest and smallest cogs are the
> same size, does having the extra invening gears help or get used much?
> Or are the extra cogs there to make shifting smoother?
>
> I am asking because I'm curious, not because I'm a retro grouch. I may
> be gettin' on up there, but I don't use friction thumb shifters
> anymore.
>:-7

I think that having extra gears isn't necessarily "more useful"; it just
gives you finer control. If you don't need/want that finer control, you
could probably save weight by using fewer gears ... I assume that
derailleurs need to be matched to the number of gears? Is that true?

--
monique