Is it insane to attempt a 100 mile charity ride on a Single Speed Mountain Bike?

Lobo Tommy

Guest
Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding
this question.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:

> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this
> question.

No.

Every year on RAGBRAI, there is a pair of brothers, now in
their 70s, riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-era schwinns,
riding the full course in long shirts and long pants.

Their saddles sport hand-lettered signs "Gears Are For
Wimps".

.max

--
the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell
monningh 8-p

In article <[email protected]>,
empbt6 @yahoo.com says...
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this
> question.

If you are riding in the mountains, then yes, but elsewhere
it depends on your conditioning. If you're a strong rider,
then it might be a nice challenge.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

Lobo Tommy wrote:
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this
> question.

If you could do it you'd know and wouldn't need to ask .
--
Perre

Lobo Tommy wrote:
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this
> question.

Only if that's too much for you. I know some people who
would have no problem and some others who might die.

Matt

>Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this
>question.

Mount a pair of slicks and have at it. Since it's a charity
ride there will no doubt be a SAG wagon should you need it.

Actually, this is a pretty good/safe way to try to stretch
your limits. And if you really want to push it, ditch your
freewheel for a fixed cog.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Kind of a stupid question. If you live in a flat area, like
TX, OH, FL or something who cares if you have gears? If you
live in an area that is very hilly, then it would be harder.
With the right single speed you can do most anything, it
just takes longer than if you had a multi. I think people
ride singles to impress other people mostly IMHO. I could
care less. I am into speed and hills, so singles are a waste
of time for someone that wants to go fast. All I can say
is.... care to race around western PA?

Curt

"Lobo Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Inquiring minds would like your feedback regarding this
> question.

SInglespeed/Fixed gear is more about going back to
simplicity than anything. It's like how some folks prefer
the simplicity of an old pre-computerized car.

Given the singlespeed is not the most efficient thing in the
world, but it is probably quite a bit more reliable than a
multi-gear bike, especially under abuse. BMXs are dominantly
singlespeed for a reason ;)

BTW, if my overweight butt can do 60 on a mtn bike....you
can at least give it a shot. Just make sure your gearing is
not too wimpy or too aggressive and go have some fun. "curt"