Is it legal to use caffeine in cycling

Discussion in 'Doping in Cycling' started by bicycledick, Jul 27, 2009.

1. bicycledick

bicycledick New Member

You can get a rush from just taking caffeine pills. If you want to wake up just pop you a couple of those 357 magnum caffeine pills and you'll wake up and go by Lance Armstrong on a 10% grade. It makes you shake wakes you up. If it's not illegal just try them, but unless you have an iron stomach you can't take them on an empty stomach. Eat a biscuit or something first.

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

There's more caffiene in a large cup of strong coffee or two shots of expresso and to be honest it really doesn't do all that much.

It used to be on the banned list of substances but I believe WADA threw this one into the "monitored" list.

3. bicycledick

bicycledick New Member

I can take two caffeine pills. Those 357 magnums and you'll shake and you will feel alert. Coffe won't give you the same affect. I used to drink a lot of tea. With the caffeine and sugar it made the nerves in my hands shake, but it was because of the sugar more than the caffeine.

4. Bootleg

Bootleg New Member

lots of gels have caffeine in them. i can tell pretty much instantly when i take a gel and get a little bit of a rush. i have yet to try the ones without caffeine so i'm curious to know if you get the same jolt without the caffeine.

for the record, i only take caffeine in gels. i have cut it out of my diet completely with that exception.

5. bicycledick

bicycledick New Member

I've only taken caffeine. They will make you wake up. They are damn good if you're on a long drive and you have 4 or 5 hours left. You pop a couple and you're good to go. But the thing is they are legal and cheap. But if you take them on an empty stomach you might be sorry. I was always sluggish, because I hadn't gotten a good nights sleep in 20 years. So everytime I left for a trip I would drive an hour and get very sleepy and have to take a nap and then I was good to go for ten hours. I was told by a guy that new a doctor that caffeine pills would not hurt you.

6. rogerwillson

rogerwillson New Member

Hi...
    No it is not Legal to use caffeine in cycling...because so many racers who are doing so much hard work to won any race but this reasons all make that bad also it comes out with bad image to the society...

7. 11ring

11ring New Member

Caffeine is not only legal in cycling, it is MANDATORY.

I think it is very dangerous to ride in a pack, without having had at least one or two coffees, without that extra alertness you could make a silly mistake and bring down the pack.

Your moralistic crap is a danger to all of our health, and therefore do not be surprised if you are run off the road.

If you don't use caffeine, f off and go play ping-pong or checkers or something suitable for a non stimulated state.

BikeBikeBikeBike likes this.
  8. sub7bikes.co.uk

sub7bikes.co.uk New Member

I believe it is legal up to a certain level of concentration in the system, but although it dose wake you up, caffine de-hydrates the body,this de-hydration affects the performance of the body, and can lead to a rider getting cramp....which will stop you in your tracks!So in short I believe the negatives could out way any positives

Swamp_Monkey likes this.
  9. JSWin

JSWin Member

Caffeine pills can kill you. You've got to be careful with that stuff. The Batman movie with Jim Carrey; remember what the joker said, "caffeine will kill ya". People get the jitters from it. I just don't understand why anyone would want that to happen to themselves just to get a temporary boost. It messes with your heart and affects the way it beats. Your heart is the most important organ in the body it just doesn't make sense to play with that. Shaking is associated with your brain and nervous system. You'll have full on withdrawal if you quit this stuff. This is not normal or healthy.

It's legal, but does it make sense? I guess, to each his own.

10. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Cool story.

Most of the population here has a caffeine addiction, it's not killing them. Unlike the demise of that guy you talk about, who acted as the joker.

It's also one of the few 'legal' thing you can take that has been proven to actually boost performance, albeit marginally.

11. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

You can easily and cheaply make your own energy boost on the bike drink.

You can either make a real strong cup of coffee and mix a teaspoon of honey into it then pour into a GU flask; or you can get fancier and do this recipe: http://wellnessmama.com/5673/healthy-coffee/and pour it into a GU flask. Simply drink it like you would if you had GU in the flask.

12. jeremy2

jeremy2 New Member

Caffein is a banned substance in cycling as it has some effect on the body metabolism. Indeed quite a number of cyclists have been reprimanded after tests performed on their blool samples revealed the prescence of caffein.

13. Keyan

Keyan Member

I would not take those caffeine pills I would rather perform using nothing at all. Are they safe to ingest or would there be some long term side effects? I am afraid to think about that and would rather not risk my health.

14. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

15. glockman

glockman New Member

I believe it is still legal and in fact It might be a good idea to pop one or two pills. This will be important if you want to have fast mental thought processes, much more especially if the route has many tough corners and the pack is not yet strung out. You'll be more likely glad you had a good dose of the old bean in you.

16. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Not only is it legal but most gels and some sport drinks pro (and non pro) riders consume have caffeine it! But even though it is legal too much caffeine will actually ruin your performance.

Here is another interesting web site concerning caffeine: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/11/caffeine-and-cycling-social-accessory-or-performance-enhancer/ Also mentioned in this article that the ban on caffeine was lifted in 2004.

17. DarkStarling

DarkStarling New Member

Yes, the status of caffeine has been that it is legal, and it does enforce your actual performance in moderate dosages by a few %. Quite a lot of the studies have been made into the subject, and it seems that it can have detrimental effects in the higher dosages. The dispute whether or not it should be illegal is actually still going on - I don't remember the specific name, but there was some organization that was fiercely against any (really any type) of thing that could enhance performance whatsoever and thought all athletes should be unable to drink a good coup of coffee... But I can't seem to remember the name :scratches head:

18. Jakelamotta

Jakelamotta New Member

Well instead of drinking coffee I used to eat a couple of tablespoons of crushed beans when I needed to study. They worked better than any coffee I have ever drank. Had no trouble pulling all-nighters . I owe a lot of my A grades to that.

19. jimmy484

jimmy484 Member

Caffeine can have paradoxical effects at high dosages, meaning that the little perk-up you get with a double espresso won't always scale when you use caffeine pills - it could actually make you sleepy! Something to remember if you've never taken it in large quantities before.

20. pinkride

pinkride New Member

Caffeine is legal alright, and not harmful like steroids or other pills. Caffeine is a product of nature, so my guess is that it is alright to use.