Is it luck or....

fatbottomedgirl

Oct 8, 2004
Are hardtail mountain bikes out of style?

A month ago I bought an old Trek antelope 800 at a garage sale for $10, and all it needs is a tune up. Yeah it's probbably 20 year old but it's so fun to ride !
Now I spotted a Giant Iguana in even better shape at a thirft shop for $36. I'm buying it for a friend that needs a good bike instead of a walmart death bike. I'm amazed to see it such good shape for under $40 ( not that I'm complaining)
I'm personally not a big fan of shocks because its one more part that needs to be maintained/replaced, and who needs shocks on a bike that spends most of its time on pavement?
If this keeps up it's going to be like it was a few years ago when the nicer road bikes of the 70's were showing up at thift stores for practically nothing - so is this the case, where ppl are upgrading from their simpler mountain bikes for newer ones with shocks and disc brakes, or am I just on a lucky streak?

No, you're right. Unfortunately, hardtails are dying out. It would seem, that the next generation of mtb'ers are going to be wuss's who would die at the very thought of going over a pebble without 10" of front and rear travel.

fatbottomedgirl said:
Are hardtail mountain bikes out of style?

A month ago I bought an old Trek antelope 800 at a garage sale for $10, and all it needs is a tune up. Yeah it's probbably 20 year old but it's so fun to ride !
Now I spotted a Giant Iguana in even better shape at a thirft shop for $36. I'm buying it for a friend that needs a good bike instead of a walmart death bike. I'm amazed to see it such good shape for under $40 ( not that I'm complaining)
I'm personally not a big fan of shocks because its one more part that needs to be maintained/replaced, and who needs shocks on a bike that spends most of its time on pavement?
If this keeps up it's going to be like it was a few years ago when the nicer road bikes of the 70's were showing up at thift stores for practically nothing - so is this the case, where ppl are upgrading from their simpler mountain bikes for newer ones with shocks and disc brakes, or am I just on a lucky streak?
And just think, in 20 years time when everyone is riding around on halfords jet powered space bicycles, you'll be able to pick up a vintage full suspension bike for 15 dollars!

shannons dad said:
No, you're right. Unfortunately, hardtails are dying out. It would seem, that the next generation of mtb'ers are going to be wuss's who would die at the very thought of going over a pebble without 10" of front and rear travel.

Hey not unfortunate for me - I still need a mountain bike for myself to make a snow bike out of . I'm not always cheap about bikes, I just would rather spend money on bikes for me Lol. The Trek was a bike for my boyfriend, and the iguana is for another friend of mine. When they want a new bike they can buy their own -this is just to get them started and to keep them off walmart bikes :D If i had the kind of money to buy them new nice bikes,I'd have bought them both Electras.

fatbottomedgirl said:
Hey not unfortunate for me - I still need a mountain bike for myself to make a snow bike out of . I'm not always cheap about bikes, I just would rather spend money on bikes for me Lol. The Trek was a bike for my boyfriend, and the iguana is for another friend of mine. When they want a new bike they can buy their own -this is just to get them started and to keep them off walmart bikes :D If i had the kind of money to buy them new nice bikes,I'd have bought them both Electras.
If you watch the cross country races you'll notice that hardtails are still the order of the day. Full suspension is entirely unneccessary unless you're off-road on some pretty rough terrain all the time. And then only if you're riding downhill.

I personally ride rigid and pick my lines well - full suss takes the skill out of riding.

So bag yourself some more bargains before the general public realises that they've been buying overweight, over-engineered, over-priced hulks of full-suspension ****. :)

*expects viscious assault from full-suss riders*

Riding in the snow? ... You people are not talking about commuting, right.

I dont know where you live, but it would be sheer suicide where I live.

It is just too dangerous.

And YES!!! ... God bless people that disposing good bikes for the fancier newer lighter thing!!

I want a thrift store road bike so bad!!! :(

huhenio said:
Riding in the snow? ... You people are not talking about commuting, right.

We only get a couple of feet every 10 years so when it happens, people have a conniption here and stay off the road en masse. I'd love to be one of the 10% of the people I work with that show up on one of those days because the management is so happy you showed up at all, they spoil you for it and it makes you look really good come raise time.
Plus I want the bragging rights :D

This winter's project is to rebuild my hardtail. I love my full suspension, but the hardtail was my first... you can never forget your first. So it's time to strip the Kona down and rebuild for a new riding season next year. Long live the hardtail!

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

I get more than that in PA .... you must be in Tennessee or something.

Enought to get rearended in the car, not enough to cross country ski to work:mad:

wheelist said:
If you watch the cross country races you'll notice that hardtails are still the order of the day. Full suspension is entirely unneccessary unless you're off-road on some pretty rough terrain all the time. And then only if you're riding downhill.

I personally ride rigid and pick my lines well - full suss takes the skill out of riding.

So bag yourself some more bargains before the general public realises that they've been buying overweight, over-engineered, over-priced hulks of full-suspension ****. :)

I am a hardtailer and agree you have to pick your lines more than on a duallie. However for an endurance XC event it seems only the super fit elites, or those strapped for cash (which is the category I fit in to) ride hardtails. I think the reasons why duallies are favoured by the majaority are (a) you do not have to pick your line, which might be hard when you are dog tired and it is 3am, and (b) less energy used holding yourself out of the seat - just sit there and spin letting the bike absorb track imperfections.

Most of my friends ride duallies now, but I do love being able to chase down someone who looks fitter than me and riding a nice bike like a Truth and I am on my Iguana - but that only happens on tight singeltrack. Problem is they lose me when the track opens up!

I too am amazed at the bargins on these excellent hardtails. I almost bought a beautiful pristine Stumpjumper for $200 a few weeks back, but I just don't need another bike.

I ride an old Gary Fisher hardtail with Conti. street/trail tires. I can't imagine a better bike. It'a great for ranging wide on remote semi-rough countryside rides.
I like the road bike for more civilized roads, but for in-town riding and bad country roads, the hardtails cannot be beaten for all around manouverability.

I would get a full sus. bike if I did downhill, but I don't do much of that.

shannons dad said:

As an 18 year old hardtail rider, I resent that :). Rear travel is totally unnessecary for XC.

wheelist said:

I hear you, these full suspension whimps can have natural suspension if they raise their butts off the saddle.

stone61cm said:
What the hell is suspension?
It's where they stick you in a big test tube full of nitrogen and freeze your ass until the docs figure out a way to stop your brain exploding after been knocked about on a hardtail.:D

Hardtail all the way.
Ok so I haven't actually tried a FS but my hardtail is a blast. I can feel whats happening under my tyres and I'm learning how to control the bike, not the other way round!! Yeah a FS might be a lot quicker and less bumpy in the right situation, but wheres all the fun in that. Plus theres a hell of a lot more setting up to do on a FS, and more things to go wrong.

Whatever you decide to buy, enjoy the ride!!

I am new to the MTB scene, but I have seen the proliferation of full suspension bikes. I see so many people on them who don't even need them. or know where to ride them, epscially the local downtrodden folks who only ride them on the sidewalk downtown. I picked up a 1997 Raleigh M50, in beautiful condition for $37 shjipped off of ebay, only because the guy who owned it wanted a full suspension bike....without a doubt, a stroke of luck my way

Cheers,
Brian

A Walmart death bike that's funny. This is probably true. Hard Tail that's funny there are all sorts of things made with that name. Even a clothing line. Yeah you should always look around to see what you can get if you want a bike.