Is it me or ...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dennis Baker, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    While riding at Skyline Park in Napa I managed to break the main pivot on my fairly new Enduro.
    Right after we finished a rough/ fast section with a lot of logs we started up a short hill and I
    noticed a noise coming from the cranks and it became very difficult to pedal. The pivot had pushed
    clear out and was rubbing against the middle chain ring. The cranks were completely seized up.
    Fortunately I was very close to the car and it was all downhill.

    Tommorrow I get a crank puller and pull the cranks so I can see if the bolt snapped or had just
    worked it's way loose.

    I have lost a lot of weight but I am still well in the Clydesdale catagory. I ride a lot, usually
    between 40-100 miles/ week on my mountain bike. Most of the miles are on tame levee roads but on
    weekends I do much more intense riding. I got the Enduro rather than an Epic or a Blur because it's
    supposedly designed to take more abuse but having problems like this early on make me wonder.

    I broke 2 Sugar 3s, and now my Enduro is disabled, maybe my earlier comments about some cookie
    cutter bikes being up to snuff were way off base.

    I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment? Is it just me or are
    other folks equally hard on gear. Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going to
    destroy it as well?

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    Tags:

  2. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > While riding at Skyline Park in Napa I managed to break the main pivot on my fairly new Enduro.
    > Right after we finished a rough/ fast section with a lot of logs we started up a short hill and I
    > noticed a noise coming from the cranks and it became very difficult to pedal. The pivot had pushed
    > clear out and was rubbing against the middle chain ring. The cranks were completely seized up.
    > Fortunately I was very close to the car and it was all downhill.
    >
    > Tommorrow I get a crank puller and pull the cranks so I can see if the bolt snapped or had just
    > worked it's way loose.
    >
    > I have lost a lot of weight but I am still well in the Clydesdale catagory. I ride a lot, usually
    > between 40-100 miles/ week on my mountain bike. Most of the miles are on tame levee roads but on
    > weekends I do much more intense riding. I got the Enduro rather than an Epic or a Blur because
    > it's supposedly designed to take more abuse but having problems like this early on make me wonder.
    >
    > I broke 2 Sugar 3s, and now my Enduro is disabled, maybe my earlier comments about some cookie
    > cutter bikes being up to snuff were way off base.
    >
    > I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment? Is it just me or are
    > other folks equally hard on gear. Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going to
    > destroy it as well?
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    I think that I can recall reading somewhere that this is a known problem on the Enduro's. I think
    that some people have come to serious grief when it slid right into the chainrings. However it's
    easily, instantly and happily fixed by Specialized if my memory serves me right. Talk to the LBS
    first and/or fire an email off to Specialized.
    --
    Westie

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip bike woes>
    > I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment? Is it just me or are
    > other folks equally hard on gear. Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going to
    > destroy it as well?

    Get a rigid SS and learn how to ride smoothly. Or.... Get a bike made in Rancho Cordova. Since you
    are close, warrantying a frame will not take very long, though I doubt it will be an issue. I've
    broken many cookie cutters, but have yet to break a good botique bike. Don't listen to the
    lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.

    JD

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Don't
    | listen to the lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.
    |
    | JD

    Reminds me off parts from the bible where poor little christians are told they may never worship
    other gods.

    Simon.........ideas and opinions are relative to that of our own opinions

  5. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip bike woes>
    > > I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment? Is it just me or
    > > are other folks equally hard on gear. Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going
    > > to destroy it as well?
    >
    > Get a rigid SS and learn how to ride smoothly. Or.... Get a bike made in Rancho Cordova. Since you
    > are close, warrantying a frame will not take very long, though I doubt it will be an issue. I've
    > broken many cookie cutters, but have yet to break a good botique bike. Don't listen to the
    > lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.
    >
    > JD

    Oh yeah, wisdom from some hippie that can't spell boutique......

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:53:56 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:

    > Oh yeah, wisdom from some hippie that can't spell boutique......

    Maybe he doesn't have as many opportunities to use the word. ;-)

  7. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:53:56 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > >
    > > Oh yeah, wisdom from some hippie that can't spell boutique......
    >
    > Maybe he doesn't have as many opportunities to use the word. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

    yeah well I suppose trailer parks aren't the right venue to use such language.

  8. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > While riding at Skyline Park in Napa I managed to break the main pivot on my fairly new Enduro.
    > Right after we finished a rough/ fast section with a lot of logs we started up a short hill and I
    > noticed a noise coming from the cranks and it became very difficult to pedal. The pivot had pushed
    > clear out and was rubbing against the middle chain ring. The cranks were completely seized up.
    > Fortunately I was very close to the car and it was all downhill.
    >
    > Tommorrow I get a crank puller and pull the cranks so I can see if the bolt snapped or had just
    > worked it's way loose.
    >
    > I have lost a lot of weight but I am still well in the Clydesdale catagory. I ride a lot, usually
    > between 40-100 miles/ week on my mountain bike. Most of the miles are on tame levee roads but on
    > weekends I do much more intense riding. I got the Enduro rather than an Epic or a Blur because
    > it's supposedly designed to take more abuse but having problems like this early on make me wonder.
    >
    > I broke 2 Sugar 3s, and now my Enduro is disabled, maybe my earlier comments about some cookie
    > cutter bikes being up to snuff were way off base.
    >
    > I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment? Is it just me or are
    > other folks equally hard on gear. Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going to
    > destroy it as well?

    It's not just you..

    http://pacman.vosn.net/~mmba/bb/viewtopic.php?t=806&start=30

  9. John G

    John G Guest

    KLydesdale wrote:
    > "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>I broke 2 Sugar 3s, and now my Enduro is disabled, maybe my earlier comments about some cookie
    >>cutter bikes being up to snuff were way off base.

    perhaps.

    >>I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment?

    Yes.

    >> Is it just me or are other folks equally hard on gear.

    I know I am. Ive had the LBS falt out refuse to sell me certain items. I've broken things that were
    touted to be "indestructible". after breaking a RaceFace Turbine LP crank set, and then breaking
    the replacement set a week later, they did a "warranty upgrade" for me to the NorthShore cranks
    (for free).

    >>Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going to destroy it as well?

    As long as the designer/builder knows up front your ability to destroy things and designs around
    that criteria, NO, you should be fine.

    I personaly (and HIGHLY) reccomend Mr Hickey of Habanero Cycles.

    > It's not just you..

    We are not alone.

    > http://pacman.vosn.net/~mmba/bb/viewtopic.php?t=806&start=30

    http://www.ridephat.com

  10. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    > [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... <snip bike woes>
    > > I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment? Is it just me or
    > > are other folks equally hard on gear. Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going
    > > to destroy it as well?
    >
    > Get a rigid SS and learn how to ride smoothly. Or.... Get a bike made in Rancho Cordova. Since you
    > are close, warrantying a frame will not take very long, though I doubt it will be an issue. I've
    > broken many cookie cutters, but have yet to break a good botique bike. Don't listen to the
    > lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.
    >
    > JD

    Hehe, I guess it was easy to guess what your response would be :) I may just wind up buying the bike
    in Rancho, it's that I don't have the cash, it's that I don't like to part with it without cause. I
    have been considering getting a single speed, but I am usually the slowest in group rides already. I
    am going to let the LBS take care of the bike instead of looking into it myself this time, someone
    suggested that the fix would work long term. I am patient, if the LBS takes care of it I will keep
    the Enduro, if the problem recurs or if it develops other problems I will get the Ventana.

    Buyers remorse :)

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  11. John G

    John G Guest

    Dennis Baker wrote:
    > have been considering getting a single speed, but I am usually the slowest in group rides already.

    I used to be the slowest in the group, I'd always volunteer ride sweep on group rides.... I had a
    hell of a time keeping up. Then I got my Redline SS. I did the weekly Thursday night ride, riding
    sweep as usual. and had a heck of a time not running over those in front of me. By the end of the 9
    mile ride I had gradually made my way from the back of the line to the front! Same trails same
    conditions, same riders, the only difference was the SS.

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > --
    > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>[email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    >
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >><snip bike woes>
    >>
    >>>I guess I really want to know is : Am I expecting too much out of equipment? Is it just me or are
    >>>other folks equally hard on gear. Also, if I spend the dough on a boutique bike am I going to
    >>>destroy it as well?
    >>
    >>Get a rigid SS and learn how to ride smoothly. Or.... Get a bike made in Rancho Cordova. Since you
    >>are close, warrantying a frame will not take very long, though I doubt it will be an issue. I've
    >>broken many cookie cutters, but have yet to break a good botique bike. Don't listen to the
    >>lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.
    >>
    >>JD
    >

    > Oh yeah, wisdom from some hippie that can't spell boutique......

    At least he's figured out how to use his newsreader properly. That's

    Greg

  13. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > "JD" <[email protected]et> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Don't
    > | listen to the lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.
    > |
    > | JD
    >
    > Reminds me off parts from the bible where poor little christians are told they may never worship
    > other gods.
    >
    > Simon.........ideas and opinions are relative to that of our own opinions

    Simon, you need to work on your analogies. We're talking about the real experience of clydesdales
    here, not myth and legend.

    Greg

  14. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > > --
    > > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>[email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >><snip bike woes>

    > >>Get a rigid SS and learn how to ride smoothly. Or.... Get a bike made in Rancho Cordova. Since
    > >>you are close, warrantying a frame will not take very long, though I doubt it will be an issue.
    > >>I've broken many cookie cutters, but have yet to break a good botique bike. Don't listen to the
    > >>lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.
    > >>
    > >>JD
    > >

    > > Oh yeah, wisdom from some hippie that can't spell boutique......
    > >

    > At least he's figured out how to use his newsreader properly. That's

    weak

    > Greg
    > --
    > "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
    > hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

    years old, is that the best you could say? It's one thing to insult your hippie friend but a
    derogatory name for women as a tool must have took real courage. Probably why you spend more time
    with your bike, no gal will touch you.

  15. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simon wrote:
    > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Don't
    > > | listen to the lightweights answers on this issue either. They have no friggin idea.
    > > |
    > > | JD
    > >
    > > Reminds me off parts from the bible where poor little christians are
    told
    > > they may never worship other gods.
    > >
    > > Simon.........ideas and opinions are relative to that of our own
    opinions

    > Simon, you need to work on your analogies. We're talking about the real experience of clydesdales
    > here, not myth and legend.
    >
    > Greg
    > --
    > "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
    > hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

    Give me a break. Take your nose out of JD's butt, the smell is twisting your mind. Go smoke a joint
    and come back to reality. Then you will realize that your no expert, just another slimy grunt.

  16. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > Probably why you spend more time with your bike, no gal will touch you.

    That's particularly funny coming from someone who clearly needs the help of some GHB in order to
    touch anyone, including your dog.

    Greg

  17. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > > Probably why you spend more time with your bike, no gal will touch you.
    > >

    > That's particularly funny coming from someone who clearly needs the help
    of
    > some GHB in order to touch anyone, including your dog.
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > --
    > "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
    > hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

    nah what's funny is how the truth get's under your skin

  18. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    #1, I don't smoke. #2, I am an expert.

    How's your supply of Rophynol?

    Greg

  19. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > >

    > > Give me a break. Take your nose out of JD's butt, the smell is twisting
    your
    > > mind. Go smoke a joint and come back to reality. Then you will realize
    that
    > > your no expert, just another slimy grunt.
    > >

    > #1, I don't smoke. #2, I am an expert.
    >
    > How's your supply of Rophynol?
    >
    > Greg
    > --
    > "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
    > hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

    same as your supply of JD's butt mist

  20. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > >

    > > Give me a break. Take your nose out of JD's butt, the smell is twisting your mind. Go smoke a
    > > joint and come back to reality. Then you will realize that your no expert, just another slimy
    > > grunt.
    > >

    > #1, I don't smoke. #2, I am an expert.

    The funniest thing here is that the Teutonic Beer Fart is one of the many bandwagon jumping lamers
    who was still in some other "fad" when we were blazing through the SoCal mountains in the early
    80's. He'll never get it, which makes it even funnier.

    JD expert doesn't have shit to do with racing