is it motobecane or moto-taiwan?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Terry Solomonso, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. My aging Motobecane Grand Record is really getting hard to maintain, and the next time I blow a
    bottom bracket I'll be yodelling at Sheldon Brown, I suppose - UNLESS these new Motobecanes are
    legitimate. Are Motos being manufactured again in France or did someone just buy the name and farm
    it out to taiwan (or someplace else)? Also, is bikesdirect.com capable of selling me one without
    screwing it (or me)up? (or over?)

    Tags:

  2. There's a long list of former "name" brands that went out of business some time ago and have had
    their names resurrected on inexpensive bikes from Mainland China. It's a very inexpensive way to get
    credibility... you buy up a name and order bikes from a manufacturer's catalog. But the end result
    is far from anything having a history or quality that's in any way related to the original.