Is it normal for Ironhorse seats to be slightly loose?

Dr. Phil Is Wei

Guest
A month or two ago I purchased a brand new Ironhorse bikey.
Last week I noticed the seat was slightly loose and would
move a couple of inches from side to side.

I took it to a bike shop, and they insisted that such
movement was a normal part of the bike's suspension and was
not dangerous because the bike has been "broken in".

This seems strange, but should I trust their opinion on
this?

Originally posted by Dr. Phil Is Wei
A month or two ago I purchased a brand new Ironhorse bikey.
Last week I noticed the seat was slightly loose and would
move a couple of inches from side to side.

I took it to a bike shop, and they insisted that such
movement was a normal part of the bike's suspension and was
not dangerous because the bike has been "broken in".

This seems strange, but should I trust their opinion on
this?

A couple of inches side to side??? Wow that's a lot IMO. I've never even heard of a seat that moves side to side. Maybe somebody else can explain this one.

Dan.

"BanditManDan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dr. Phil Is Wei wrote:
> > A month or two ago I purchased a brand new Ironhorse
> > bikey. Last week
> > noticed the seat was slightly loose and would move a
> > couple of inches from side to side. I took it to a
> > bike shop, and they insisted that such movement was a
> > normal part of the bike's suspension and was not
> > dangerous because the bike has been "broken in". This
> > seems strange, but should I trust their opinion on
> > this?
>

> A couple of inches side to side??? Wow that's a lot IMO.
> I've never even heard of a seat that moves side to side.
> Maybe somebody else can explain this one.

Move side to side? There might be a little bit of rotational
play in a suspension seatpost, but "a couple of inches" is
more than I would think reasonable.

(If this is a suspension seatpost): Is the movement coming
from the two halves of the seatpost (lower part not moving,
upper part moving)? Some slight movement is normal here, but
it should be barely noticeable, if noticeable at all.

Or, is all the movement coming from the seat relative to the
(nonmoving) seatpost? If it's this, I would think the bolt
on the seat would need tightening, which is a minor thing to
do with a wrench.

On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:59:38 GMT, "Mike Kruger"
<[email protected]> said:

>Move side to side? There might be a little bit of
>rotational play in a suspension seatpost, but "a couple of
>inches" is more than I would think reasonable.

It's maybe 1 or 2 inches of rotation around the post.

>(If this is a suspension seatpost): Is the movement coming
>from the two halves of the seatpost (lower part not moving,
>upper part moving)?

I believe so. The rotation seems to end right above where
the rear reflector is attached to the post.

I just don't want the seat to throw me off the bike when I'm
zipping downhill at 30 MPH.

"Dr. Phil Is Weird" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:59:38 GMT, "Mike Kruger" <MikeKr@mouse-
> potato.com> said:
>
> >Move side to side? There might be a little bit of
> >rotational play in a suspension seatpost, but "a couple
> >of inches" is more than I would think reasonable.
>
> It's maybe 1 or 2 inches of rotation around the post.
>
> >(If this is a suspension seatpost): Is the movement
> >coming from the two halves of the seatpost (lower part
> >not moving, upper part moving)?
>
> I believe so. The rotation seems to end right above where
> the rear reflector is attached to the post.
>
> I just don't want the seat to throw me off the bike when
> I'm zipping downhill at 30 MPH.

Let's see what we know. You have a suspension seatpost. You
get an amount of play in the seatpost that seems
extraordinarily high to you, and while there haven't been
many posters to this thread, we haven't heard from anybody
who thought this was normal. (other than your bike shop)

Personally, I'd take it to another bike shop and get their
looking-at-the-bike opinion. It may just need tightening
(seat to post), but it may be something more serious.
Suspension seatposts can fail; I replaced one last year that
developed a disturbing crack in it.

--
---
Mike Kruger Blog: