is it obvious that many ebay bike auctions appear fraudulent?

Der.Todesvogel

Guest
I wanted to get a frame through ebay, but my tolerance for risk makes that unacceptable. Although
many obvious scams are posted daily, I'm most worried about the subtly unsettling ads. It seems odd
that an industry can spring up that sells something that doesn't materially exist.

So, its off to the lbs for me (soon).

I'll bite.

I think that buying from newsgroups and ebay is something that takes the patience to get a solid
feeling about the people you're dealing with. I watched this group for a couple months before making
my first post and buying gear. By then I had a good feeling for who the regulars were and I avoided
buying from the ones which had controversy surrounding them. The people with a long history of happy
dealings are the ones I try to approach. It just takes time to learn who these people are.

Newsgroups, ebay, fleamarkets and garage sales all require a person to be able to haggle (ebay
excluded), have a sense of timing, and understand the etiquette of the market. In return for these
skills and the risks that we take dealing with distant people, we are rewarded with significantly
discounted merchandise.

People who buy retail are buying a bit of security. In my opinion, that security is overpriced, so I
partake in open markets like this one. I also really like people and this is a nice way to meet
those into the same hobbies I have.

What do you think?

"der.Todesvogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I wanted to get a frame through ebay, but my tolerance for risk makes that unacceptable. Although
> many obvious scams are posted daily, I'm most worried about the subtly unsettling ads. It seems
> odd that an industry can spring up that sells something that doesn't materially exist.
>
> So, its off to the lbs for me (soon).

spamjuncket-<< I wanted to get a frame through ebay, but my tolerance for risk makes that
unacceptable. Although many obvious scams are posted daily, I'm most worried about the subtly
unsettling ads. It seems odd that an industry can spring up that sells something that doesn't
materially exist. >><BR><BR>

There is an ad for a F/A-18, former Blue Angels jet on e-bay recently and also a retired British
aircraft carrier...I think your caution is well founded.

> spamjuncket-<< I wanted to get a frame through ebay, but my tolerance for
risk
> makes that unacceptable. Although many obvious scams are posted daily, I'm most worried about the
> subtly unsettling ads. It seems odd that an industry can spring up that sells something that
> doesn't materially exist. >><BR><BR>
>
> There is an ad for a F/A-18, former Blue Angels jet on e-bay recently and
also
> a retired British aircraft carrier...I think your caution is well founded.

I don't think it's well founded at all. The *great* majority of ebay transactions go just fine, if
you just use a modicum of common sense.

Owning an LBS is affecting your judgement and bias.

Ed Chait

No, it's not obvious that "many" eBay bike auctions appear fraudulent.

I hate being paranoid, but I am getting the idea you will get the bike if you win but I am not sure
I buy the I got this bike from my roomate that was needing cash quick. Anyone with this bike would
be a complete bike freak and could have easily found a local friend or riding buddy that would have
bought the bike. I suspect the bike was acquired by less than legit methods. Look at his description
of the computer he sold the phrase "I found this computer in my house while cleaning" screams "I
stole this from some guy that went to the bathroom in my local coffee shop."

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:22:36 GMT, [email protected]
(Paul Southworth) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, der.Todesvogel
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>my answer:
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662244143
>
>This one looks like a crook, Western Union only and high bidder's ID suppressed, seller has
>zero feedback. Only a true moron would send a penny to that guy. Luckily for him there are
>plenty of those.

I looked at the auction and the moron has a picture of a gold watch and chain forsale and the
decription is still that of the mountain bike. Odd.