Is it ok to bikeride for 30 minutes 5 times a week to lose weight?

worldgod

Dec 20, 2003
hello all i have a question Is it ok to bikeride for 30 minutes 4 to 5 times a week to lose weight? or would i have to do more minutes. The thing is that i exercise on a stationary bike, and it makes me too tired to exercise 6 days per week.

thanks all

worldgod

Originally posted by worldgod
hello all i have a question Is it ok to bikeride for 30 minutes 4 to 5 times a week to lose weight? or would i have to do more minutes. The thing is that i exercise on a stationary bike, and it makes me too tired to exercise 6 days per week.

thanks all

worldgod

The key to weight loss is to expenfd more energy than you are eating. Increasing the amount of exercise you do essentially makes the amount of energy you expen greater. Will this amount make you lose weight? It depends on the energy value of the foods you are eating - how many calories are in it.

If you eat a balanced diet, with all the right nutrients, and plenty of fruit and veg, and you don't eat past when you are full, you should probably lose weight off the amount of exercise you are doing.

If half an hour of exercise is making you too tired, you might want to try going a bit slower, for a bit longer, rather than busting a gut. Perhaps if you did an hour 4 times a week, or even 5, but did it quite slowly. Then build up when you feel yourself getting fitter.

Anyway, congratulations on starting off an exercise program, and good luck. Post some more if you have some more specific questions, and don't forget, the best advice will come from a well qualified trainer or coach who can take into account all your personal variables, including current fitness, goals, and time constraints.

This guy is right, you should probably lose weight if your diet is in check. It also depends on other factors as well. Are you getting enough sleep? Do you do any other physical activities? Are you willing to do 30 minutes twice a day if need be? All questions to ask yourself. Weight loss is not about just adding a good habit or getting rid of a bad one, it is a lifestyle change.

it also depends on what hear rate zone you are excersising in. If you ride with your HR between 60 and 70 % of Max then your body will use energy that is stored, riding above this requires your body to need energy at a faster rate. This means it cant convert the stored energy and this is when you have to suplement it on your ride (food and drink). So ideally to loose weight riding for 30 minutes a day at 60 - 70% of max HR 5 times a week is good. But like the others have said, make sure your diet is balanced and that your energy intake does not exceed your energy expenditure.

i dont believe people should exercise only to lose weight. you should ride a bike to get in shape, and keep yourself that way. i have a friend that started riding a fixed gear and lost 35 pounds in less then a year. sure that may not seem as amazing as the woder diet pills on tv, but he feels he is in the best shape of his life, and he was a middle distance runner through out highschool.

ride enough and you will get addicted, and its better then crack.