Is it ok to bikeride twice a day for 20 min?

worldgod

Dec 20, 2003
Hello all: I would like to know if it's ok to bikeride twice a day for 20 minutes instead of one session of 40 minutes? Or is this too exhausting? Because i have read that a lot of people do this in order to keep their metabolic rate high through out the day

thanx all

worldgod

Originally posted by worldgod
Hello all: I would like to know if it's ok to bikeride twice a day for 20 minutes instead of one session of 40 minutes? Or is this too exhausting? Because i have read that a lot of people do this in order to keep their metabolic rate high through out the day

thanx all

worldgod
well it won't hurt you. I do 1 hour twice a day.

HEY FRIEND: THANX A LOT FOR YOUR REPLY, I THOUGHT THAT RIDING BIKES TWICE A DAY WAS TOO MUCH STRAIN ON LEGS, JOINTS AND ANCKLES.

THANKS ANYWAYS, HAVE A NICE DAY

WORLDGOD

Originally posted by worldgod
HEY FRIEND: THANX A LOT FOR YOUR REPLY, I THOUGHT THAT RIDING BIKES TWICE A DAY WAS TOO MUCH STRAIN ON LEGS, JOINTS AND ANCKLES.

THANKS ANYWAYS, HAVE A NICE DAY

WORLDGOD
hell if it does not hurt soemone who is 40 and weighs 240 and going down.

I am far from an expert, but it may be healther from a cardiovascular standpoint to do one 40 minute ride a day rather than two 20 minute rides. I usually spend 10 minutes just warming up and another 5 to 10 recovering riding after the workout to improve vascular workings and muscle adaption. I realize we all can't dedicate hours a day to the sport, but I usually don't ride unless I have at least 30 to 40 minutes of riding time. Like I said though, not an expert at fitness, etc, just my 2 cents.

There is an increasing amount of evidence that 'accumulated' exercise is 'almost' as beneficial for health as a single bout of exercise performed each day. Also 2 x 20 mins will use a similar amount of energy as 40 mins on the bike at the same intensity.

As long as your reasonably fit and healthy, 2 x 20 mins a day at a moderate pace will prove no problem. During touring, I regularly meet men and women in their 80's that will ride more than 8 hours in a single day and as much as 4 to 5 hours a day for a week or longer. You'll need to build up for this though.

I say an article in some bicycling magazine that riding twice a day is better for people who want to lose weight, as your metabolic rate will be higher for the day as a whole. If you ride once you increase it, and then it will go down as the day progresses. But weight loss doesn't concern me.

From a cardiovascular point of view I suppose it won't do you any harm either, although when I try that I always feel stiffer and have less energy (on the second ride/whatever exercise I am doing). and I am not sure whether this is as good as a single solid ride.

I'm training and trying to lose weight at the same time. That whole power to weight ratio thing. Anyway, what I do is: a 30 minute trail run in the morning and a longer ride later in the day-2 hour flat road ride.

The next day I'll go on a really technical longer mountain bike ride2.5-3 hours or so.

Of course, recover properly and watch caloric intake.

Originally posted by z3ro
I say an article in some bicycling magazine that riding twice a day is better for people who want to lose weight, as your metabolic rate will be higher for the day as a whole. If you ride once you increase it, and then it will go down as the day progresses. But weight loss doesn't concern me.

From a cardiovascular point of view I suppose it won't do you any harm either, although when I try that I always feel stiffer and have less energy (on the second ride/whatever exercise I am doing). and I am not sure whether this is as good as a single solid ride.
Perhaps you should consider your goals and decide upon a once a day or twice a day strategy based upon these. Its also good too look at the big picture too; what training you do in a whole week and how that changes day to day/week to week/season to season.