is it ok to mix chorus and record components?

crazydude

Apr 7, 2010
is it ok to mix record shifters with chorus deraulers? i'm sure people have tried this in the past but I could not find any information on that.

Nothing wrong with it, as long as they are from groups of a similar vintage and designed for the same setup.

A Record Non-QS front derailleur (FD) could be replaced with the same type in Chrous.

A Record QS FD could be also be replaced with a QS FD in Chorus.

Take care with FDs to ensure that the derailleur suits the setup (ie: double/triple/compact)

All 10 speed rear derailleurs are interchangeable (remembering there are short medium and long cage varieties to suit the cassette) and all 11 speed rear derailleurs are too.

In fact there is also a bit of cross-compatibility between these groups but these simple rules are your best bet.

tafi said:
Nothing wrong with it, as long as they are from groups of a similar vintage and designed for the same setup.

A Record Non-QS front derailleur (FD) could be replaced with the same type in Chrous.

A Record QS FD could be also be replaced with a QS FD in Chorus.

Take care with FDs to ensure that the derailleur suits the setup (ie: double/triple/compact)

All 10 speed rear derailleurs are interchangeable (remembering there are short medium and long cage varieties to suit the cassette) and all 11 speed rear derailleurs are too.

In fact there is also a bit of cross-compatibility between these groups but these simple rules are your best bet.

'QS' is a label only for Record/Chorus ERGO, really means nothing. He could use a non QS FD on QS left lever and vice versa w/o any problem. 'QS' Centaur and below ERGO, with Xenon guts, is a different mater and those QS left levers need a 'QS' FD.

11s RD are also interchangable with 10s ERGO, as is a '10s RD with 11s ERGO. Samo for FDers.

Actually, any Record-or-Chorus & non-QS (e.g., Centaur/etc.) "front" shifters can work with almost any (e.g., Shimano/etc.) front derailleur as long as the chain isn't mis-sized ...

Thanks for replies everyone.

Also on the same topic. I'm building up a supersix and I've gotten a cannondale bb30 crank for it. Will campy chain work fine on the cannondale chainrings?

crazydude said:
Thanks for replies everyone.

Also on the same topic. I'm building up a supersix and I've gotten a cannondale bb30 crank for it. Will campy chain work fine on the cannondale chainrings?

Sure.....