Is it possible to live in America without a car?

>Bicycling at fifteen miles per hour or so takes about 600 calories per
>hour. A gallon of gas contains about 31,000 calories. So even if I
>accept your figures, that works out to about 78 miles per gallon for
>bicycling. My ride to work is 7 miles. So I can commute to work for
>more than a week on the equivalent (according to your figures) of one
>gallon of gas.

Except you can't derive sustanence from gas.

>We will not talk about the costs associated with fighting wars to keep
>our oil supply safe.

Don't be silly. If anything oil related, this war is being fought to
keep our oil supply EXPENSIVE.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

"Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>-
>Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
>

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> The discussion was about clean air legislation. I think it's great
>> that Clinton set aside more public land for parks, etc. But that
>> wasn't the discussion...

>Clean Air specifically?
>------------
>What has become clear over the past several months is that the “Clear
>Skies” initiative is basically an attempt to undermine a policy begun by the
>Clinton administration of forcing old coal-fired energy plants to pay fines
>and install pollution-reducing equipment.

Which is a clever way to say what I did - that Clinton threw down some
bogus, unrealistic goals AFTER Gore lost the election. The fact that
Bush had to turn it into something that could actually be done allows
it to be spun like the above.

Since this is about the third time we've plowed this furrow, I'm on to
more cycling-related posts.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Bicycling at fifteen miles per hour or so takes about 600 calories per
> >hour. A gallon of gas contains about 31,000 calories. So even if I
> >accept your figures, that works out to about 78 miles per gallon for
> >bicycling. My ride to work is 7 miles. So I can commute to work for
> >more than a week on the equivalent (according to your figures) of one
> >gallon of gas.

> Except you can't derive sustanence from gas.
>
> >We will not talk about the costs associated with fighting wars to keep
> >our oil supply safe.

> Don't be silly. If anything oil related, this war is being fought to
> keep our oil supply EXPENSIVE.

I doubt it. Any minor crisis that forced higher prices and we would be
FORCED to, A) ride bicycles, and B) drive more efficient cars, both of
which the powers-that-be want to resist at all costs.

I think this war is about CONTROLLING the oil, something the Iraqi
resistance has made very difficult.

Keep praying for a small crisis... ;)

Jeremy Parker wrote:
> "donquijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> [snip]
>
> > Example, the lion says: "Sure, you can have a bicycle, but can't

> ride
> > in traffic 'cause there's no room for you and it's a jungle out

> there.
>
> [snip]
>
> and the sad thing is, all too many people are willing to believe such
> nonsense, and thereby bring about their own crippling

"The worst thing to fear is fear itself"

It ain't as dangerous as Iraq outside the Green Zone. ;)

I for one have started pedalling like I belong on the road too. We need
to remember though that if we want to change things we need to stick
together and make it a campaign, which is posted elsewhere here.

This man is aggravated by a driver while rightfully riding his bike. He
weighs the options, one being not being there, but I see another
outcome where the predator (the driver) is kept in check by the law
(rarely enforced in favor of a cyclist) or simply overwhelmed by many
cyclists who are willing to ride the street too and give him the
finger. Well, not directly but on the back of the shirt (like this:
http://cafepress.com/peacebanana)...

'A typical scenario of driver aggression and lack of understanding is
the situation where there is a left turn phase at the lights. Picture
yourself in the kerb lane waiting for the green, to proceed straight
on. At least three nanoseconds after the green arrow flashes (Sydney
time that is - allow six for Wangaratta), the cars behind start to
blast their horns. This happened to me recently, so I thought I'd use
the shrug the shoulders technique (avec palm turned upwards), I had
been thinking about. But then the van driver a metre behind responds
with: "C'mon get out'da way could ya d'ya think y'ar a f'kin truck?"
Illogically in the situation I espouse logic mentioning cyclists
rights, legal to be here etc. But the situation escalates and the
driver hurls further invective and threats of violence as we part our
ways.

I scribble mental notes to myself as I rocket down the road, blood
pressure higher than tyre pressure. Were any lessons learnt today or do
I keep getting into these situations just because I was riding legally
and assertively "as a vehicle", choosing the safest way? Today is an
exception, I didn't respond to the aggro with some of my own (the
finger, incisive four-letter wit, or the Pajero gesticulation) but
nonetheless I leave the scene agitated and definitely unrelaxed.

What were my options?

Not be there - choose a quiet back street as discussed last issue
(recommended).

Cruise to the kerb about 30m before lights and lean against a No
Standing sign or pole and when the lights change duck behind the last
turning car (recommended).

Completely ignore honking and stay relaxed (recommended).

Shrug shoulders without the follow-up dialogue (recommended), or

Move across/forward to let cars behind turn left but then as the lights
change a jerk screeches past on the left grinning like a Cheshire prat,
leaving you stranded between two lines of greatly accelerating cars.
Not again baby (not recommended).

Writers distinguish between road rage (criminal and/or violent
speed). Others criticise the term itself in being a media-inspired plot
to grab attention. Well there are 1200 road rage deaths in the US each
year so its certainly not a beat up (excuse the pun). A distinction
also needs to be made between driver-driver aggro, and driver-cyclist
aggro (although there is some overlap). Also pedestrians and cyclists
can have their moments, although often there are not the same
consequences as mass and might are more equal.

According to Dr Leon James, Professor of Psychology at the University
of Hawaii and co-author of "Road Rage and Aggressive Driving: Steering
Clear of Highway Warfare" (Prometheus Books, 2000), "Most motorists
drive around every day in an emotionally impaired state."'

http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showarticle.php?s=8&a=102

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

> "Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> The discussion was about clean air legislation. I think it's great
> >> that Clinton set aside more public land for parks, etc. But that
> >> wasn't the discussion...

> >Clean Air specifically?
> >------------
> >What has become clear over the past several months is that the “Clear
> >Skies” initiative is basically an attempt to undermine a policy begun by

the
> >Clinton administration of forcing old coal-fired energy plants to pay

fines
> >and install pollution-reducing equipment.

> Which is a clever way to say what I did - that Clinton threw down some
> bogus, unrealistic goals AFTER Gore lost the election.

No, it's you that's trying to be clever. Clinton used existing laws to
prosecute polluters.

>The fact that
> Bush had to turn it into something that could actually be done allows
> it to be spun like the above.

Bush has had fewer prosecutions and has directed the EPA to further gut
environmental regulations.

> Since this is about the third time we've plowed this furrow, I'm on to
> more cycling-related posts.

For you, de Nile is not a river in Egypt.

Baxter wrote:
> -
> Free useless software - Baxter Codeworks www.lbaxcode.com

Baxter,

Does every message comes with your SPAM?

So? what's the post/reply so far? ;-3)

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

donquijote1954 wrote:
> [...]
> Not again baby (not recommended).
>
> Writers distinguish between road rage (criminal and/or violent
> speed). Others criticise the term itself in being a media-inspired plot
> to grab attention. Well there are 1200 road rage deaths in the US each
> year so its certainly not a beat up (excuse the pun). A distinction
> also needs to be made between driver-driver aggro, and driver-cyclist
> aggro (although there is some overlap). Also pedestrians and cyclists
> can have their moments, although often there are not the same
> consequences as mass and might are more equal.
>
> According to Dr Leon James, Professor of Psychology at the University
> of Hawaii and co-author of "Road Rage and Aggressive Driving: Steering
> Clear of Highway Warfare" (Prometheus Books, 2000), "Most motorists
> drive around every day in an emotionally impaired state."'

My stratagey is to get off the bike and WALK on the sidewalk and in the
crosswalks.

"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)

Bob Burns wrote:
> > http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showarticle.php?s=8&a=102
> >

> My stratagey is to get off the bike and WALK on the sidewalk and in the
> crosswalks.

It won't get you very far or get you a nice workout, but YES, it's
definitely safer. Also, remember to bow at every corner and plead for
the driver's kindness and benevolence to let you pass. You must
acknowledge who the King of the Jungle is. ;)

wear a jersey with an american flag (Gary Jacobson's idea) or with
large letters "LEER" (even better) on the back. Pick up drivers won't
directly attack one of their own.

[email protected] wrote:
> wear a jersey with an american flag (Gary Jacobson's idea) or with
> large letters "LEER" (even better) on the back. Pick up drivers won't
> directly attack one of their own.

I think that fits in the style of camouflage so many wear in America.

But this line of clothing just thought of that (even better, probably
"made in China")...

http://www.cafepress.com/minitrue.12033581

In this incident a group of cyclists are protesting the war, but are
the victim of a vehicular aggression... On whose side you think the
police came?

'After a harrowing ride in the Broadway tunnel, in which the driver of
cab 236 assaulted the group by driving at high speed towards them and
then slamming on brakes, skidding in a cloud of smoke nearly into a
woman riding at the rear of the group, it only got worse. Just before
Stockton on Broadway, an irate woman suffering a clear case of road
rage began illegally tailgaiting the small group (now only about 7
riders) in the right-hand lane. The bicyclists were legally occupying
the lane under CVC 21202(a). There was plenty of room to go around, and
traffic was otherwise fairly light. The woman laid on her horn almost
constantly, another violation of the Vehicle Code. After so expressing
her anger and intent, she rammed a cyclist, crushing his rear wheel and
forcing him to go over the front of the bike, hurting his leg. She was
driving a large mercury-colored Mercedes Benz SUV. She commiteed the
crime in front of 777 Broadway at approximately 7:07 PM.

The driver began calling 9-11. A legal observer also called 9-11 and
explained the situation to police.

A number of officers arrived and as is to be expected from the SFPD,
they showed outrageous bias and lack of awareness of bicyclists'
rights. They ordered the bicyclists to the sidewalk, while discussing
the situation privately with the woman who perpetrated the assault and
battery. They moved the bicycle from the road under her bumper, where
it had become stuck after the collision, before they photograph the
womans' vehicle, thus tampering with evidence. They refused to arrest
or even cite the driver, even after the victim said, "I insist upon a
citizen's arrest of this driver." They claimed the crash was an
"accident" despite the obvious evidence that it was an assault and
battery.'

I know you guessed it right, so the cyclists now demand...

"That deliberate physical harassment of bicyclists or pedestrians by
motor vehicles be recognized and treated legitimately as assault with a
deadly weapon."

http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/1597741.php

So who is the police going to side with in the average situation, the
THRIFTY PEACE-SEEKING CYCLIST or the WAR-MONGERING SUV DRIVER that
keeps the economy of the wealthy, by the wealthy and for the wealthy
"well oiled"?

[email protected] wrote:
> > http://www.cafepress.com/minitrue.12033581

> letters are too small. You get squooshed before anyone can read what's
> there.

I think nothing beats "I LOVE BUSH" where you have a heart in place of
love. It could be seen at least from half a mile away in foggy days,
and two miles in sunny days. You may also carry a 5x7' American flag on
a 18 feet pole that could be seen 5 miles away!

[email protected] wrote:
> perhaps a small camera should be on the list of things to carry under
> the saddle at all times.

I thought about it, but it must have voice recording for the times they
greet you, "Hey stupid asshole, get off my road!"

If you know of any camera like that, which is also cheap, let me know!

there was a post on this in rec.skiing.nordic:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....a3d?q=bush+and+cheney&rnum=2#47685df5894c3a3d

donquijote1954 wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>>> http://www.cafepress.com/minitrue.12033581

>> letters are too small. You get squooshed before anyone can read what's
>> there.

> I think nothing beats "I LOVE BUSH" where you have a heart in place of
> love. It could be seen at least from half a mile away in foggy days,
> and two miles in sunny days. You may also carry a 5x7' American flag on
> a 18 feet pole that could be seen 5 miles away!

My banner would be,
"Screw Fascism"
"Screw Bush"
"Support the troops"