Is it possible to live in America without a car?

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill <[email protected]> writes:

> My banner would be,
> "Screw Fascism"
> "Screw Bush"
> "Support the troops"
> "Bring them home"
> "Send Bush"
> "If you can read this, get back."

I rather like Meher Baba's motto[*]. But then I'm a just another
goddamned liberal bleeding-heart city-boy, and not many people
would "get" it.

cheers,
Tom

[*] Actually, it can be perverted into Malicious Compliance, or even
used to rationalize subversion & sabotage, if one so desires.
I usually don't. And I'm sure that's not the spirit in which
Meher Baba intended it to be applied. Usually.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Mastery in Servitude
Above address is just a spam midden.

Jack May wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>Bicycling at fifteen miles per hour or so takes about 600 calories per
>>hour. A gallon of gas contains about 31,000 calories. So even if I
>>accept your figures, that works out to about 78 miles per gallon for
>>bicycling.

Wrong. It's 775 mpg. 31000 divided by 600 times 15 equals 775.

> 78 MPG is about right except the 600 calories is for ideal conditions of no
> wind, flat, and smooth path. Getting away from the ideal case will drop
> the MPG significantly.

Like I said, 775 mpg. That changes everything, eh?

> The 600 calories is a mechanical measurement and leaves out energy
> conversion efficiency of the body. You seem to think that the body is
> immune to the laws of thermodynamics.

600 calories for 15 mph is about correct taking into account losses.

Wayne

[email protected] wrote:
> there was a post on this in rec.skiing.nordic:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec....a3d?q=bush+and+cheney&rnum=2#47685df5894c3a3d

You know, I have a philosophy, "My struggle is not against the puppet,
but against the puppeteer," and my finger is aimed at the ones that
manage the whole jungle. Why bother giving the finger to some predator
that may get me in trouble? Most people out there is just sheep that
don't make a conscious effort to chose their transportation mode and
simply follow the lion in sheep's clothing... You know the story???

HOW THE BLACK SHEEP WERE EXPELLED

One day the Lion, who had been thinking how to best eat the sheep,
decided to dress as one of them... This way the common sheep trusted
the new sheep more and more every day, some confessing to him, others
voting for him, and most allowing to be fleeced by him...

Meanwhile, the Black Sheep--who was able to see through
camouflage--thought this way: "If he got big paws and teeth, and takes
the lion's share, lion he is..."

And that's the reason why from then on the Black Sheep weren't allowed
to mingle anymore with the simple and common sheep...

Bill wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
> >> letters are too small. You get squooshed before anyone can read what's
> >> there.

> > I think nothing beats "I LOVE BUSH" where you have a heart in place of
> > love. It could be seen at least from half a mile away in foggy days,
> > and two miles in sunny days. You may also carry a 5x7' American flag on
> > a 18 feet pole that could be seen 5 miles away!
> >

> My banner would be,
> "Screw Fascism"
> "Screw Bush"
> "Support the troops"
> "Bring them home"
> "Send Bush"
> "If you can read this, get back."
> Bill Baka

Mine would be: "To me Bush is a four-letter word!"

Jack May wrote:
> More nonsense taking extreme case as though that is supposed to be some type
> of proof while being angry. Your real MPG for non-ideal conditions is
> probably be in the range of a small car even if we ignore body efficiency.

How 'bout these reasons:

A) Food tastes better than gasoline

B) It's better to burn the calories and be fit than to be sick

C) Bicycling doesn't kill innocent people

D) Bicycling avoids war

E) Bicycling is easier on your pocket, etc, etc...

OK, I ain't gonna start again the whole debate of bike lanes vs. no
lanes, but CLEARLY BICYCLES NEED THEIR OWN SPACE...

"A RELATIVE DANGER INDEX is calculated which shows that streets with
bike lanes have a significantly lower crash rate then either major or
minor streets without any bicycle facilities (38 and 56% respectively)"

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/Moritz2.htm

So to that effect, when the Banana Revolution (the monkeys' revolution)
takes over the Banana Republic (the lions' republic) THE WHOLE RIGHT
LANE WILL BELONG TO THE CYCLISTS in multiple-lane roads, and shared
(oh, how the lion hates that word) in single lane roads or bike lanes
or both. Fair enough?

And if you think the discrimination ends where the road ends, you are
wrong. It happened to me...

I approach the security guard at my favorite outdoor shopping-dancing
place and ask him, "Listen, I'm considering this little folding bike so
I can bring it inside where I can keep an eye on it." "Nope, not
allowed." "Why?" "See, the insurance policy says that if you happen to
hit someone..." "But, if I leave it outside..." "Yep, it'll be gone...
So my advice... Don't bring it!" "And why don't you PUT A CAMERA to
watch over the place?" "Well, you know, no money!"

So that's how it is: You better come by car like a regular guy... and
pay 10 bucks for parking.

You realize? Bicycles don't exist! We are nothing, black sheep,
good-for-nothing, mongrels, scum, worms, wretches, etc, etc.

donquijote1954 wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> donquijote1954 wrote:
>>> I think nothing beats "I LOVE BUSH" where you have a heart in place of
>>> love. It could be seen at least from half a mile away in foggy days,
>>> and two miles in sunny days. You may also carry a 5x7' American flag on
>>> a 18 feet pole that could be seen 5 miles away!
>>>

>> My banner would be,
>> "Screw Fascism"
>> "Screw Bush"
>> "Support the troops"
>> "Bring them home"
>> "Send Bush"
>> "If you can read this, get back."
>> Bill Baka

> Mine would be: "To me Bush is a four-letter word!"

Bush IS a four letter word, but my banner above says what I mean.
My daughter found an article comparing what is going on now in the
United States and Germany in the 1930's and the comparison is downright
scary. My wife pegged him for a wife beater on day one, and his wife
hasn't been heard from for about 3 months since she said something
negative about him. I think it was "To run a country you can't just go
to bed at 9:00 P.M. and ignore everything all night.". Maybe she is
under house arrest?
Bill Baka

donquijote1954 wrote:
> And if you think the discrimination ends where the road ends, you are
> wrong. It happened to me...
>
> I approach the security guard at my favorite outdoor shopping-dancing
> place and ask him, "Listen, I'm considering this little folding bike so
> I can bring it inside where I can keep an eye on it." "Nope, not
> allowed." "Why?" "See, the insurance policy says that if you happen to
> hit someone..." "But, if I leave it outside..." "Yep, it'll be gone...
> So my advice... Don't bring it!" "And why don't you PUT A CAMERA to
> watch over the place?" "Well, you know, no money!"
>
> So that's how it is: You better come by car like a regular guy... and
> pay 10 bucks for parking.
>
> You realize? Bicycles don't exist! We are nothing, black sheep,
> good-for-nothing, mongrels, scum, worms, wretches, etc, etc.

It has happened to me more than once. I used to ride to the local
Wal-mart but then they expanded and as part of that process they got rid
of the bike racks where you could lock a bike. I asked one of the
'greeters' if it was OK to bring the bike inside where they could watch
it and of course they said "No.". Now I either walk the 1.5 miles each
way or just give it up and take my car. The same thing happened to me at
my doctor's office. The first time I was allowed to bring it inside and
they locked it in a broom closet for me, but told me not to bring it
again. This would be 5 miles each way, so again with the car. Since he
is on the second floor at least I get to run up while others wait for
the elevator. Doctor's parting shot at me, get more exercise to increase
my good Cholesterol. Answer "How, you won't even let me ride my bike.".
I now go to a lot of the smaller stores that let me bring my bike inside.
Bill Baka

Bill wrote:
> > You realize? Bicycles don't exist! We are nothing, black sheep,
> > good-for-nothing, mongrels, scum, worms, wretches, etc, etc.
> >

> It has happened to me more than once. I used to ride to the local
> Wal-mart but then they expanded and as part of that process they got rid
> of the bike racks where you could lock a bike. I asked one of the
> 'greeters' if it was OK to bring the bike inside where they could watch
> it and of course they said "No.". Now I either walk the 1.5 miles each
> way or just give it up and take my car. The same thing happened to me at
> my doctor's office. The first time I was allowed to bring it inside and
> they locked it in a broom closet for me, but told me not to bring it
> again. This would be 5 miles each way, so again with the car. Since he
> is on the second floor at least I get to run up while others wait for
> the elevator. Doctor's parting shot at me, get more exercise to increase
> my good Cholesterol. Answer "How, you won't even let me ride my bike.".
> I now go to a lot of the smaller stores that let me bring my bike inside.
> Bill Baka

Yep, the last part is very important: FEED THOSE WHO ARE BIKE FRIENDLY,
or the reverse, do not feed the hungry lion, since he's the one that
forces you drive a car and thus burn gas. I put it together in this
strategy to deal with the predators out there...

-DO NOT FEED THE LION* (we are confronting a Hungry Lion, so he's most
vulnerable to boycott)
-VOTE WITH YOUR FEET (leave a Hungry Lion --he needs you more than you
need him)
-NONVIOLENCE IS BETTER** (don't dress as a lion --he loves to have any
excuse to eat you)
-CRY LION! (the lion's success depends on camouflage, so your alarm may
save others)
-NO LION NO PROBLEM!*** (do not accept the beast mentally --mental
slavery-- in your life)
*see "The Role of Boycotts"...
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1118-24.htm & "Enough"...
http://www.enough.org.uk/index.html#cont
**"Violence used against oppression, Gandhi believed, was not only
wrong, it was a mistake."
(http://www.pbs.org/weta/forcemorepowerful/india/satyagraha.html)
***"Fear makes us the instruments of Power. When we are afraid, we
obey." (http://www.fragmentsweb.org/fourtx/powfertx.html)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:53:51 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, Bill
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I used to ride to the local
> Wal-mart but then they expanded and as part of that process they got rid
> of the bike racks where you could lock a bike. I asked one of the
> 'greeters' if it was OK to bring the bike inside where they could watch
> it and of course they said "No.". Now I either walk the 1.5 miles each
> way or just give it up and take my car.

there's a much better solution: DON'T SHOP AT WAL-MART. they
are evil.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) writes:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:53:51 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, Bill
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I used to ride to the local
>> Wal-mart but then they expanded and as part of that process they got rid
>> of the bike racks where you could lock a bike. I asked one of the
>> 'greeters' if it was OK to bring the bike inside where they could watch
>> it and of course they said "No.". Now I either walk the 1.5 miles each
>> way or just give it up and take my car.

> there's a much better solution: DON'T SHOP AT WAL-MART. they
> are evil.

It might be fun to persuade City Hall to persuade the Wal-Mart in
question to install a bike rack. Maybe put one or two out on the
sidewalk in front of the store too, just to raise their property
tax rate.

And /then/ not shop at Wal-Mart.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) writes:
>> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:53:51 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, Bill
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I used to ride to the local
>>> Wal-mart but then they expanded and as part of that process they got rid
>>> of the bike racks where you could lock a bike. I asked one of the
>>> 'greeters' if it was OK to bring the bike inside where they could watch
>>> it and of course they said "No.". Now I either walk the 1.5 miles each
>>> way or just give it up and take my car.

>> there's a much better solution: DON'T SHOP AT WAL-MART. they
>> are evil.

> It might be fun to persuade City Hall to persuade the Wal-Mart in
> question to install a bike rack. Maybe put one or two out on the
> sidewalk in front of the store too, just to raise their property
> tax rate.
>
> And /then/ not shop at Wal-Mart.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

I really try not to shop at China-mart but it is the only big store
around here. I hate the place but the alternative is a car, a 5+ mile
drive, and higher prices with sometimes better stuff. Almost every damn
thing I buy these days is made in China. I now consider Japan and Taiwan
to be quality vendor countries since almost nothing is made in the
states anymore.
I despise globalization.
Bill Baka

Dennis P. Harris wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:53:51 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, Bill
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I used to ride to the local
> > Wal-mart but then they expanded and as part of that process they got rid
> > of the bike racks where you could lock a bike. I asked one of the
> > 'greeters' if it was OK to bring the bike inside where they could watch
> > it and of course they said "No.". Now I either walk the 1.5 miles each
> > way or just give it up and take my car.

> there's a much better solution: DON'T SHOP AT WAL-MART. they
> are evil.

No, the Bush gang will tell you are a traitor: Wal-Mart sells
nonunionized, cheap-labor "Made in China"!

I guess we'd have to put it on the DO NOT FEED THE LION category.

Bill wrote:
> > Tom
> >

> I really try not to shop at China-mart but it is the only big store
> around here. I hate the place but the alternative is a car, a 5+ mile
> drive, and higher prices with sometimes better stuff. Almost every damn
> thing I buy these days is made in China. I now consider Japan and Taiwan
> to be quality vendor countries since almost nothing is made in the
> states anymore.
> I despise globalization.
> Bill Baka

Well, Japan and Taiwan do not fully comply with the "party line" the
way China does. For one, they pay higher wages and that's very
subversive. ;)

I see some day in the future when the consumers and all the little
people (including cyclists) is organized and make use of that powerful
weapon called boycott. In the meantime the Big Fish will keep eating
the Little Fish. :(

donquijote1954 wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>>
>>I really try not to shop at China-mart but it is the only big store
>>around here. I hate the place but the alternative is a car, a 5+ mile
>>drive, and higher prices with sometimes better stuff. Almost every damn
>>thing I buy these days is made in China. I now consider Japan and Taiwan
>>to be quality vendor countries since almost nothing is made in the
>>states anymore.
>>I despise globalization.
>>Bill Baka'

You might find that you hate the higher prices and corresponding
lowering of standard of living without a globalized economy.

You might also find your job disappears because your employer
doesn't have a global market to work in.

> Well, Japan and Taiwan do not fully comply with the "party line" the
> way China does. For one, they pay higher wages and that's very
> subversive. ;)

They have very much higher costs of living than China does as
well.

Japan and Taiwan also have factories away from their shores,
paying "good wages" to locals that are still lots lower than
what they'd be paying their workers at home!

> I see some day in the future when the consumers and all the little
> people (including cyclists) is organized and make use of that powerful
> weapon called boycott. In the meantime the Big Fish will keep eating
> the Little Fish. :(

Nothing new in the economic fish pond is it?

Perhaps a lot of people aren't going to be able to afford that
bicycle, or at least not one bike for each family member, when
all the "little people" unite.

SMH

Stephen Harding wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
> > Bill wrote:
> >>
> >>I really try not to shop at China-mart but it is the only big store
> >>around here. I hate the place but the alternative is a car, a 5+ mile
> >>drive, and higher prices with sometimes better stuff. Almost every damn
> >>thing I buy these days is made in China. I now consider Japan and Taiwan
> >>to be quality vendor countries since almost nothing is made in the
> >>states anymore.
> >>I despise globalization.
> >>Bill Baka'

> You might find that you hate the higher prices and corresponding
> lowering of standard of living without a globalized economy.

Sure, but you know your money doesn't reward the exploitation of
helpless workers.

> You might also find your job disappears because your employer
> doesn't have a global market to work in.

Maybe not. But maybe you choose to appeal to an educated and concerned
consumer. For example...

Support union jobs in the U.S. and Canada
This guide is prepared by the UAW to provide information for consumers
who want to purchase vehicles produced by workers who enjoy the
benefits and protections of a union contract.

All vehicles on this list are made in the United States or Canada by
members of the United Auto Workers (UAW), Canadian Auto Workers (CAW)
or the International Union of Electrical Workers-Communication Workers
of America (IUE-CWA).

Because of the integration of U.S. and Canadian vehicle production, all
vehicles on this list include significant UAW-made content and support
the jobs of UAW members.

http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/auto/2006/index.cfm

> > Well, Japan and Taiwan do not fully comply with the "party line" the
> > way China does. For one, they pay higher wages and that's very
> > subversive. ;)

> They have very much higher costs of living than China does as
> well.

Maybe their workers also enjoy better working conditions, which should
be the bottom line, not $$$...

> Japan and Taiwan also have factories away from their shores,
> paying "good wages" to locals that are still lots lower than
> what they'd be paying their workers at home!

Yep, their Big Fish engage in the same predatory practices as our Big
Fish.

> > I see some day in the future when the consumers and all the little
> > people (including cyclists) is organized and make use of that powerful
> > weapon called boycott. In the meantime the Big Fish will keep eating
> > the Little Fish. :(

> Nothing new in the economic fish pond is it?
>
> Perhaps a lot of people aren't going to be able to afford that
> bicycle, or at least not one bike for each family member, when
> all the "little people" unite.

Maybe, but most likely they'll own a bike and work only 20 hours a week
because the rest went to pay for the Big Fish and the Stupid
Unnecessary Vehicles people is generally forced to drive --if they want
to survive in our Darwinian roads.

Oh, on top of that, they will be much healthier by burning the calories!

Stephen Harding wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>>
>>> I really try not to shop at China-mart but it is the only big store
>>> around here. I hate the place but the alternative is a car, a 5+ mile
>>> drive, and higher prices with sometimes better stuff. Almost every damn
>>> thing I buy these days is made in China. I now consider Japan and Taiwan
>>> to be quality vendor countries since almost nothing is made in the
>>> states anymore.
>>> I despise globalization.
>>> Bill Baka'

> You might find that you hate the higher prices and corresponding
> lowering of standard of living without a globalized economy.
>
> You might also find your job disappears because your employer
> doesn't have a global market to work in.

My $75K job already disappeared to globalization. I have been displaced
by Chinese engineers with trumped up PhDs from China and Indians with
the same from India, all here on H1-B visas and willing to work for
about half what I can even afford to work for. Now I do consulting and
can't afford the good American stuff even if I want to.

>> Well, Japan and Taiwan do not fully comply with the "party line" the
>> way China does. For one, they pay higher wages and that's very
>> subversive. ;)

> They have very much higher costs of living than China does as
> well.

The cost of success and overpopulation.

> Japan and Taiwan also have factories away from their shores,
> paying "good wages" to locals that are still lots lower than
> what they'd be paying their workers at home!

Read above.

>> I see some day in the future when the consumers and all the little
>> people (including cyclists) is organized and make use of that powerful
>> weapon called boycott. In the meantime the Big Fish will keep eating
>> the Little Fish. :(

That won't happen because once we are all asking "Do you want fries with
that?" it will be too late.

> Nothing new in the economic fish pond is it?
>
> Perhaps a lot of people aren't going to be able to afford that
> bicycle, or at least not one bike for each family member, when
> all the "little people" unite.

We would not be in the mess we are if the little people, all 280 million
of them didn't buy the $50 Chinese bike instead of the $70 Japanese
bike. It happened with motorcycles when Honda came here, then radios,
then televisions, cameras, and now just about everything. The American
habit of saving a few dollars at the cost of someone else's job has come
full circle.
We are headed toward 'has been' status.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>, Bill wrote:

> My $75K job already disappeared to globalization. I have been displaced
> by Chinese engineers with trumped up PhDs from China and Indians with
> the same from India, all here on H1-B visas and willing to work for
> about half what I can even afford to work for. Now I do consulting and
> can't afford the good American stuff even if I want to.

I have been displaced as well, salary holding steady. Engineering jobs
are still around in good numbers. The falling numbers of graduates is
helping. If you are willing to travel to china alot you can make around
a 100K in product development/project management.

> We would not be in the mess we are if the little people, all 280 million
> of them didn't buy the $50 Chinese bike instead of the $70 Japanese
> bike. It happened with motorcycles when Honda came here, then radios,
> then televisions, cameras, and now just about everything. The American
> habit of saving a few dollars at the cost of someone else's job has come
> full circle.

Actually Japan has labor protections, environmental protections, etc and
so forth. Their currancy floats against the dollar so that when exchange
rates made their good cost less when sold in US dollars that shook out
on it's own. Japanese companies then build manufacturing facilities in
the USA. US companies didn't (with little exception) send their
manufacturing to Japan. US companies lost market share when they
produced ****.

China is an entirely different ballgame. There are no protections of
anything in China. There is also rampant corruption in China. US
manufacturers are closing up shop in the USA just for an apparent (and
IMO often false when all things are considered) savings because of lower
labor costs.

Meanwhile other US companies contract out their work to chinese
companies which of course become competitors a couple years later.

Chinese currancy is fixed against the US dollar so the flood of imported
goods does not cause the dollar to sink against the chinese currancy.
Thusly everything from China remains 'cheap'.

The lossage to Chinese made goods is entirely what you say, people
buying the cheaper item. I can never think of a case where the 'better'
item was made in china when there has been a choice.

> We are headed toward 'has been' status.

By design from within.