Is it possible/worth it to repair lycra/polyester bike tights?

kaian

Aug 22, 2004
Okay, this is for all you sewing experts out there. I have a pair of thick winter tights - they are polyester and lycra. A small 1 inch area on the inner seam has come apart - again this is the seam itself. Is it possible to sew these and never have the problem again? Or is repairing this kind of fabric a waste of time?

I was planning on taking the tights to a tailor (someone with expert materials and cool sewing machines).

Any feedback? Suggestions?

These are really nice tights otherwise and I would hate to pitch them!

Thanks!

If it is the seam that has broken then I see no reason why a training tailor couldn't easily repair those for you. It sure would be a lot cheaper than buying a new pair.

TKOS said:
If it is the seam that has broken then I see no reason why a training tailor couldn't easily repair those for you. It sure would be a lot cheaper than buying a new pair.
Well, it's a tear that is right at the seam. Upon looking at them again, it's not that the seam is loose, it just split right AT the seam. Yeah, I would rather fix them! They are comfy and warm tights! :)

kaian said:
Okay, this is for all you sewing experts out there. I have a pair of thick winter tights - they are polyester and lycra. A small 1 inch area on the inner seam has come apart - again this is the seam itself. Is it possible to sew these and never have the problem again? Or is repairing this kind of fabric a waste of time?

I was planning on taking the tights to a tailor (someone with expert materials and cool sewing machines).

Any feedback? Suggestions?

These are really nice tights otherwise and I would hate to pitch them!

Thanks!
Seams split from time to time. I have repaired a pair myself with a thread and needle. A year later they are still fine although asthetically they aren't perfect. Too expensive to chuck, plus why trash my newest pair for rainy rides?

Think about it - if PI, castelli, sugoi, nike, LG, canari, etc., etc. etc. have all found a way to sew two pieces of lycra together into a seam, I don't see any reason why a tailor couldn't do it too.

RC2 said:
Think about it - if PI, castelli, sugoi, nike, LG, canari, etc., etc. etc. have all found a way to sew two pieces of lycra together into a seam, I don't see any reason why a tailor couldn't do it too.
I can do it and I ain't no tailor.

I've done plenty of seam repairs and "take-ins".

The trick is to figure out how much they stretch, then stitch accordingly.
In other words, if you stitch them tightly when they're not stretched at all, they could tear again when you put them on.

I once tride to replace a chamois....IMPOSSIBLE :p

Yeah, I think I am sew-a-phobic. :)

If I sewed it, I'd probably sew the two legs together somehow.

I talked to a tailor in my area and he said he would need to see the tights, but that he could probably fix them for about $5. These are $80 tights, so I think it's worth it!

BUMP!

I have a lycra pair of expensive running tights. (only 2 weeks old) and I was running through a field and the shin area got caught on a low lying thorny bush and got a small hole.

Are there any little patches you can buy and glue on or something like that?