Is it pretentious wearing yellow jersey?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Therealslimshad, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes down
    the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However, it
    suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour
    with it's TdF conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my
    concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other
    cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    Slim

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:00:56 +0100, TheRealSlimShady wrote:
    > do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour

    No way. If you're going to race, or train with pros, maybe wear a neutral jersey. As long as you're
    just cycling for fun, no-one is going to mistake you for Armstrong no matter how yellow your jersey.
    Besides, it's not an official TdF yellow jersey; other cyclists will notice that. What may be
    considered pretentious is wearing full pro team kit (jersey, shorts, socks, mits, maybe even the
    bike) when you're not on the team.

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    TheRealSlimShady wrote:

    > safety and visibility was my concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet
    > and haven't seen any other cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.

    I saw a pack of about a dozen roadies all in identical yellow jerseys just out of Crianlarich
    yesterday, so there are more than just Mr. Armstrong's out there...

    > I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    I doubt if I'm a dude, but my colours are usually reasonably dependent on the contents of whatever
    bargain bins I've been trawling, and I just use general outdoor stuff rather than cycling specific
    jerseys (having rear pockets is not only pointless but actually less comfy on the 'bent).

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    TheRealSlimShady wrote:
    > Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    > down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    > it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a
    > colour with it's TdF conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and
    > visibility was my concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't
    > seen any other cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.
    >
    > I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?
    >
    > Slim

    I have a yellow jersey and so do a lot of people I know. It is a visible colour, and I dont feel
    pretentious when wearing it. if however it had a US Postal logo on it like lances I might do.

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  5. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "TheRealSlimShady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    > down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    > it suddenlycrossed my
    mind -
    > do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour with it's TdF
    > conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my concern.
    > What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other cyclists
    > wearing this colour when driving about.
    >
    > I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?
    >
    > Slim

    No problem with people in yellow jerseys. After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible. But if
    its a Credit Lyonnais Tdf replica then you will get some ridicule.

    Stan Cox

  6. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    "TheRealSlimShady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    > down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    > it suddenlycrossed my
    mind -
    > do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour with it's TdF
    > conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my concern.
    > What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other cyclists
    > wearing this colour when driving about.
    >
    > I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?
    >
    > Slim

    At the end of the day wear what you feel comfortable wearing - I personally don't give a stuff what
    other people think.

  7. On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:26:45 +0100, Stan Cox wrote:
    > After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible.

    No, because the original race organizing newspaper (l'Auto) was printed on yellow paper; just like
    the leaders jersey of the Giro d'Italia is pink because of the Gazzetta dello Sport.

  8. Mule

    Mule Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:26:45 +0100, Stan Cox wrote:
    >> After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible.
    >
    > No, because the original race organizing newspaper (l'Auto) was printed on yellow paper; just like
    > the leaders jersey of the Giro d'Italia is pink because of the Gazzetta dello Sport.

    True but Stan is also right. It's so that the overall leader can be distinguished from the others.

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  9. M Series

    M Series Guest

    No problem, wear what you want. I spotted three riders up ahead of me a few weeks ago, the two
    wearing yellow (Huddersfield CTC) jerseys stood out much more than the one wearing black. If any
    others, cyclists or not judge one by the colour/style of ones jersey then frankly I couldn't care
    less about their opinion. Never judge a book by the cover.

    "TheRealSlimShady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]ews.uni-berlin.de...
    > Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    > down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    > it suddenlycrossed my
    mind -
    > do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour with it's TdF
    > conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my concern.
    > What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other cyclists
    > wearing this colour when driving about.
    >
    > I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?
    >
    > Slim

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    TheRealSlimShady wrote:
    > Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    > down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better.

    It is the best for that.

    > However, it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing
    > such a colour with it's TdF conotations?

    No, but you will get some comments from pedestrians and car passengers. ...I wouldn't if they were
    funny or witty!

    > What colour is yours?

    Yellow if I've got the choice.

    ~PB

  11. >However, it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing
    >such a colour with it's TdF conotations?

    I wear loads of yellow on the bike. It's visible. No other reasons.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**[email protected]*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  12. Mule

    Mule Guest

    I try to wear high-vis colours too, yellow, red, etc. I'd rather be seen to be pretentious than to
    not be seen at all.

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  13. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >However, it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing
    > >such a colour with it's TdF conotations?
    >
    > I wear loads of yellow on the bike. It's visible. No other reasons.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Come, come now .... I'm sure you are wearing that yellow TdF Randonnee jersey at every opportunity!

    Rob

  14. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "mule" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I try to wear high-vis colours too, yellow, red, etc. I'd rather be seen to be pretentious than to
    > not be seen at all.

    Top line, mule. The eve before my first proper tour I realised I had only one shirt so rushed round
    to delve in the LBS sale bin. I bought one that seemed less gaudy than the others. I then wore it
    every other day across France including when pushing my bike up part of a Pyrenean pass. Weeks later
    I discovered that the pattern of colours that looked so random close up spelt out "king of the
    mountains" from a distance. Now that must have looked pretentious. tony R.

  15. Ian

    Ian Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX must be edykated coz e writed:

    >> Come, come now .... I'm sure you are wearing that yellow TdF Randonnee jersey at every
    >> opportunity!
    >
    > Oh I own up to that one ;-) However, I do wear a lot of yellow that *isn't* my randonnee jersey,
    > honest guv'nor :)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
    > h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**[email protected]*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    > overdependence on money and fame
    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    I reckon that it is even worse than wearing bib shorts.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  16. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:00:56 +0100, "TheRealSlimShady" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    >down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    >it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a
    >colour with it's TdF conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility
    >was my concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any
    >other cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.
    >
    >I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    I've got a King Of The Mountains ones which currently I daren't wear.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  17. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I've got a King Of The Mountains ones which currently I daren't wear.

    I've got four polka dot jerseys. The thought of the shame of getting off on a climb while wearing
    one of these is the only thing that gets me to the top on occasion.

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

  18. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "mule" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:26:45 +0100, Stan Cox wrote:
    > >> After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible.
    > >
    > > No, because the original race organizing newspaper (l'Auto) was printed on yellow paper; just
    > > like the leaders jersey of the Giro d'Italia is pink because of the Gazzetta dello Sport.
    > >

    > True but Stan is also right. It's so that the overall leader can be distinguished from the others.

    I thank you...... I know that the paper was printed on yellow paper but they wanted something to
    make the leader obvious & yellow was the way to go...

    Stan Cox

  19. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I've got a King Of The Mountains ones which currently I daren't wear.
    >
    > I've got four polka dot jerseys. The thought of the shame of getting off
    on
    > a climb while wearing one of these is the only thing that gets me to the
    top
    > on occasion.
    >
    > --
    > Rob

    I weigh 90kg (14 stone...ish) and have been considering getting a Polka Dot jersey as a joke on
    myself. I am much more likely to wear that and the green jersey than I am a Tdf yellow.

    Stan Cox

  20. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:00:56 +0100, TheRealSlimShady wrote:
    > > do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a
    colour

    > No way. If you're going to race, or train with pros, maybe wear a neutral jersey. As long as
    > you're just cycling for fun, no-one is going to mistake you for Armstrong no matter how yellow
    > your jersey. Besides, it's not an official TdF yellow jersey; other cyclists will notice that.
    > What may be considered pretentious is wearing full pro team kit (jersey, shorts, socks, mits,
    > maybe even the bike) when you're not on the team.

    Crap. I wear a TdF yellow jersey (USPS one) for fun, why, coz I am a fan! Nothing
    pretentious in that!