Is it really $175 to travel with my bike on United?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
I want to take my bike with me when I go back home, but I just realized the oversize fee is huge traveling domestically in the States. Is there a bike case out there that meets to size limit? I doubt it.

jojoma said:
I want to take my bike with me when I go back home, but I just realized the oversize fee is huge traveling domestically in the States. Is there a bike case out there that meets to size limit? I doubt it.
Ship your bike using FedEx GROUND service.

#1 reason not to fly United...

Not all of the airlines are so bad. I traveled with my bike on Air New Zealand earlier this year. No fee for the bike box! It counted as my second checked bag. And they allowed two of those!

The only fee we were charged was on the way back for being over the weight limit...

It's something we're gonna have to get used to, I think. Reports in the news, lately, say that the airlines, at least in the US, collected several billion pennies from the new baggage surcharges. We do have to admit that airlines, in general, have never been profitable businesses, and from a business point of view, it didn't make a lot of sense giving all the freebies they used to give. With the world economy the way it is, there's no way the fees are going to go away in the near future.

What chafes my thighs is that golfers and skiers get to take their stuff for free......or for fees much smaller than cyclists see. Golfers should be charged at least as much as us if for no other reason than their fashion choices.

Alaska Airlines charges $50 for a bike in a bike case and under the 100 lb limit.

Farmguy said:
Alaska Airlines charges $50 for a bike in a bike case and under the 100 lb limit.
I also suggest shipping the bike ahead by freight company. The airlines will not pay if they crush your bike. The freight company will pay for damage if you pack the bike well.
I also have a 'travel' bike with couplers, since I fly with it often. My wife uses a Bike Friday when we travel together. Both of those go as normal baggage.