Is it REALLY over?

J Jones

Guest
Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to break-away tomorrow? I realize the
tradition, but the tradition just seems silly to me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why wouldn't
the guys race?

Would it be unprecedented in Tour history for Jan to try to break-away tomorrow?

Just curious... Jeff

"J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to break-away tomorrow? I realize the
> tradition, but the tradition just seems silly to me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why
> wouldn't the guys race?

Because it's tradition.

It's also tradition to wait for your GC rival after he's crashed.

"J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to break-away tomorrow? I realize the
> tradition, but the tradition just seems silly to me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why
> wouldn't the guys race?
>
> Would it be unprecedented in Tour history for Jan to try to break-away tomorrow?

Sure, he can try.
--
Marty

"Marty Pietruszka" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to
break-away
> > tomorrow? I realize the tradition, but the tradition just seems silly
> > me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why wouldn't the guys race?
> >
> > Would it be unprecedented in Tour history for Jan to try to break-away tomorrow?
>
> Sure, he can try.
> --
> Marty

Consider one of the best breakaways in recent history by someone high in the GC -- Tyler Hamilton.
Even though he performed beautifully in a stage
(16) with mountains (not a flat stage, where a breakaway would have even less a chance of success),
he could only put 1:55 minutes on the rest of the riders.

Furthermore, Ullrich no longer has a full team, so even if he tried to turn it into a team time
trial, the Posties have a decided edge.

M.

Originally posted by Marty & Michael
"
> > Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to
break-away
> > tomorrow? I realize the tradition, but the tradition just seems silly
> > me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why wouldn't the guys race?
> >
> > Would it be unprecedented in Tour history for Jan to try to break-away tomorrow?
>
> Sure, he can try.
> --
> Marty

Consider one of the best breakaways in recent history by someone high in the GC -- Tyler Hamilton.
Even though he performed beautifully in a stage
(16) with mountains (not a flat stage, where a breakaway would have even less a chance of success),
he could only put 1:55 minutes on the rest of the riders.

Furthermore, Ullrich no longer has a full team, so even if he tried to turn it into a team time
trial, the Posties have a decided edge.

M.

A cross post of mine from Cyclingforums.

If stage 20 were a "real" stage and the teams were willing to try something crazy....

... then Ulrich could be in a fight for the jersey and potentially could succede if he engineered a break, followed with the ride of his life. There is a 2.4 km category 4 climb at the 23.5 km marker. As good as spot as any on this course for a break.

And a smart rider would work together in that break with another rider that is equally motivated for a betterment of their final standing, riders like Vinokourov, Mayo, Zubeldia or Hamilton would be a good choice to have in that group. Get one of these riders in the break, set up a team time trial and Ulrich could hold onto and make up the 1' 16".

It would really force USPS to catch the group to return Lance to top position, and it would cost any of the other riders in the top 5 positions nothing if the attempt failed and they did get caught. They don't race Monday, and as long as they finish in the peltoton or the bridging group with Armstrong they basically maintain current standings. What a race that would be.

If USPS's manager was a chess player though, maybe he'd see this crazy possibility occuring, (it has been one of the craziest, most riveting tours ever) and perhaps devise a counter attack plan.

Perhaps something along the line of a discussion with Hamilton, who is yearning for a top 3 position, and is one of the strongest time trialers on the tour; combined with his ability to stave off pain like no-one's business... Being a former USPS rider, Tyler's probably easy enough for USPS to get in touch with tonight to discuss such crazy plans...

Anyway, at that same cat 4 climb, Lance and Tyler attack off the front, with the bulk of the USPS and CSC teams holding the peloton in check. They get into the flats and pull off a killer team time trial (I think they've particed that a few times together); they build a gap better than 5' 16", securing Tyler the number 2 position over Ulrich, cementing Lance's yellow jersey, and Lance being the gentleman and friend of Tyler's that he is, let's Hamilton take a second stage victory.

With the relationship between Hamilton and Armstrong as it is, and the risk for something else as crazy to happen, maybe a plan like one of these makes sense in a weird sort of way. That said, it's unlikely, as the unwritten rule is that the last stage is a parade.

What if the crazy could happen though... That would be a suitably amazing finish to the hundredth anniversary of the tour. Now where did I put Tyler's cell phone number ;-)

Cheers,

Steve Cooper

Besides LA and JU had no need to catch TH during that stage

Kupa wrote:
> Anyway, at that same cat 4 climb, Lance and Tyler attack off the front, with the bulk of the USPS
> and CSC teams holding the peloton in check. They get into the flats and pull off a killer team
> time trial (I think they've particed that a few times together); they build a gap better than 5'
> 16", securing Tyler the number 2 position over Ulrich, cementing Lance's yellow jersey, and Lance
> being the gentleman and friend of Tyler's that he is, let's Hamilton take a second stage victory.

I don't see any breakaway holding off the combined efforts of about ten teams with sprinters who
want to win the final stage.

news:<[email protected]>...
> "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to break-away tomorrow? I realize
> > the tradition, but the tradition just seems silly to me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why
> > wouldn't the guys race?
>

> Because it's tradition.
>
> It's also tradition to wait for your GC rival after he's crashed.

That crash tradition is different, you don't want to win that way but if your close like Ulrich and
you can attain victory by racing on the last day you do it! Would you hold it against Ulrich for
racing on the last day and winning? I would'nt. Would Hinault or Merckx or Lemond respect this
tradition it they were this close?? they would try to win.

"J Jones" wrote:

> Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to break-away tomorrow? I realize the
> tradition, but the tradition just seems silly to me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why
> wouldn't the guys race?

Unless Lance crashes and breaks a leg, it's over.

It has nothing to do with tradition. Tomorrow is a flat stage. No way the Postal team would allow
Ullrich to get any kind of a gap.

Art Harris

He can still pedal with one leg can't he? "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "J Jones" wrote:
>
> > Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to
break-away
> > tomorrow? I realize the tradition, but the tradition just seems silly
> > me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why wouldn't the guys race?
>
> Unless Lance crashes and breaks a leg, it's over.
>
> It has nothing to do with tradition. Tomorrow is a flat stage. No way the Postal team would allow
> Ullrich to get any kind of a gap.
>
> Art Harris

teammates pulling him along to chance him down. Jeez, I really hate this time of year when all these
posers invade our cheeky little news group.

"J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to break-away tomorrow? I realize the
>tradition, but the tradition just seems silly to me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why
>wouldn't the guys race?
>
>Would it be unprecedented in Tour history for Jan to try to break-away tomorrow?
>
>Just curious... Jeff

>other teammates pulling him along to chance him down. Jeez, I really hate this time of year when
>all these posers invade our cheeky little news group.

Get a grip. And grow up.

"Shrek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

other
> teammates pulling him along to chance him down. Jeez, I really hate this
time
> of year when all these posers invade our cheeky little news group.
If only I could live up to your high standards of excellence, my life would be complete. Thanks for
setting me straight, oh wise and self-righteous one.

BTW, if you were to pull your head out of your obviously inflamed gaping asshole, you might realize
that I didn't suggest that a breakaway would be successful. Jeez, I really hate insecure assholes
who derive their self-esteem from newsgroup participation. Jeff

> "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Is there any chance whatsoever that Jan will attack and try to break-away tomorrow? I realize the
> >tradition, but the tradition just seems silly to me - it's a stage for cryin' out loud, why
> >wouldn't the guys race?
> >
> >Would it be unprecedented in Tour history for Jan to try to break-away tomorrow?
> >
> >Just curious... Jeff
> >

> He can still pedal with one leg can't he?

Of course. But it's harder to keep the bicycle going in a straight line...

AMG <[email protected]> wrote:

> > He can still pedal with one leg can't he?
>
> Of course. But it's harder to keep the bicycle going in a straight line...

His team will take turns pushing him, and JU wont attack. (Much like Fasa Bortolo pushing Petacchi
up the hills in the first week)

GK

Sorry.