Is it really worth the effort

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Alastair Maxwel, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Hey

    I just had my first experience organising a DH race. It was a pain in the ass. Is there anyone out
    there that could persuade me to try my hand at it again? I'ts just not worth the effort I put in
    and the headache i had from listining to fellow organisers and just the general shit people
    complain about.

    AL

    Tags:

  2. Alastair Maxwell wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > I just had my first experience organising a DH race. It was a pain in the ass. Is there anyone out
    > there that could persuade me to try my hand at it again? I'ts just not worth the effort I put in
    > and the headache i had from listining to fellow organisers and just the general shit people
    > complain about.
    >
    > AL

    Don't tell me that. I have to organize at LEAST an XC/STXC race in the fall, and maybe DH/DS
    too. Blah.

    Jon Bond

  3. Alastair Maxwell wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > I just had my first experience organising a DH race. It was a pain in the ass.

    I've been helping prepare for several local annual events (Watershed Wahoo, Turkey Burner, Bear
    Brook Boogie, etc.) some of these pull 200+ riders.... It gets easier as the years progress, but is
    always a srain to pull off.

    The more years go by and the more folks volunteer and get with the program the smoother it runs, but
    it is never "easy"... rewarding h&ll yes, but easy? nop.

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Alastair Maxwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey
    >
    > I just had my first experience organising a DH race. It was a pain in the ass. Is there anyone out
    > there that could persuade me to try my hand at it again? I'ts just not worth the effort I put in
    > and the headache i had from listining to fellow organisers and just the general shit people
    > complain about.

    Imagine that. A bunch of wannabes complaining because someone tried to put something on for them.
    Anyone still wonder why I distance myself from racing? Ride your bike Al, and enjoy it.

    JD

  5. Stu

    Stu Guest

    its it amazing how many people will bitch about something and how few will help but l would rather
    they bitched to my face than behind my back still l think 10% of the people do 90% of the bitching
    one of my mates motor bike club has fixed this by making a rule you are on the organising committee
    for two races a year or you don't get any points towards there championship

  6. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    "Alastair Maxwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey
    >
    > I just had my first experience organising a DH race. It was a pain in the ass. Is there anyone out
    > there that could persuade me to try my hand at it
    again?
    > I'ts just not worth the effort I put in and the headache i had from listining to fellow
    > organisers and just the general shit people complain about.
    >
    > AL

    Eeeek, I'm organizing a big charity ride for this fall and it is very daunting. Permits, helpers,
    mailings, promotion, routes, donations, blah blah blah. I'm learning there's no substitute for
    experience.

    Greg

  7. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Hey I just had my first experience organising a DH race. It was a pain in the ass. Is there anyone out
    > there that could persuade me to try my hand at it
    again?
    > I'ts just not worth the effort I put in and the headache i had from listining to fellow
    > organisers and just the general shit people complain about.
    >
    > AL

    Yeah we just had our first Dh comp at the mtbpark in brisbane.
    What a pain in the arse. People not turning up becoz another promoter got ticked off that he's got some "events competition " now. Whatever happened to a bit of friendly competition to make things better generally?
    It's a sad day when you go out of your way to organise something that people want and they say they're coming but don't because of some fickle reasons. some people are just never happy.
    We'll be doing it again though and although I didn't play a part on the day - I was still there willing to help out (broke the bike the week before so was reduced to spectator :rolleyes: )