Is it time to replace?

frbock

Oct 30, 2010
I currently have a 1993 Univega Via Carisma ( bi-axial cro/moly, full Shimano Exage (500cx rear) group), Cro/Moly fork, 1993 Cantalever brakes, stock pedals with rat-traps/ strap.
I'm 55, and since I bought the bike, I seem to have lost an inch in the legs... making the standover a little akward.
It's fine when I'm riding, so the crank seems fine, gearing is fine. And, I can do 30 mi. without problem. My goal is to still be able to do 30 mi or so, at least for now, I'm not looking for Centuries.

So, I'm at the point where I may want a new bike to adjust the fit, hybrid (got a little gut so the drop bars just won't do).

So, the bike that seems to come up is a Motobecane Cafe Noir. Cro/moly frame, carbon fork, Shimano 105, mediocre seat, but, that's what I had. The welds look clean, and it's in the price range of what I paid for the Univega.

I'm thinking that given changes to the cafe line, they may do a Noir with disc brakes for 2011.

Just a thought. I know you mentioned that drop bars wont do for you. But IMO this bike from bike direct would suit your purposes also. If you road this bike holding the top of the bars you would be in the same (and only) riding position as the Noir. It is not a far reach to get your hands around the hoods for an added hand hold and riding position. 95% of road riding is in these two positions. Believe me when I tell you a little bit of middle age bulge will not get in your way.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gran_turismo.htm

Reminds me of my 1971 Motobecane Mirage. It doesn't have down tube shifters (always hated them), mine were on the stem, but on the flip side, it doesn't have brake hoods. They were a bit of a fad in the 70's. they let you hit the brake from whatever position your hand was in (ok, not full down).
If they still make brake levers like that, I might be persuaded. But, I'm looking at a bike for at least the next 15 years, and I'm 55. I don't want to be fumbling around trying to find the brakes. I can do it now pretty quick, but in years to come, I think making sure they're close is a priority.

Some cyclocross bikes have brake levers on the top of the drop bar. These levers are mounted inline with the brake cables and operate seperately from the brifters. Unlike the coaster brakes that were mounted onto the brake levers and were operated from the top. The brake levers mounted on the top bar today should work with most braking systems. Take a look at the pictures of the Fanthom Cross in the cyclocross section of bikes direct. You will see what these brake levers look like today. Another thing you could consider is a cyclocross bike. They work well as touring bikes.

A bike that you may like is a 2010 Fuji Absolute 1.0. Fuji calls it a flat bar road bike. I put 3500 miles on mine only problum I had I had a spoke brake twice, after the shop tightend the spokes no more spoke prob. I realy like the mec disc brakes, and 105s shifts verry smoth, the tripple x 10 give you lots of choices to find that right gear.
My.02

I am 66 years old and I know what you mean about things changing I allso weight 230 so I have that covered too.
I have recently got a 2010 Jamis Aurora Elite touring bike. I only have 100 miles on it , The steel frame rides nice the road bars are getting more comfy every ride I like it allso.
I hope you find a bike that you like

I realy like the mec. disc brakes/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif the only thing is that when I first got the bike, I had to get the feel for them or I would be clunking down the road, I would lock them up and flat spot the tires. The 1.0 and the 2.0 have different brakes I think the 1.0 has the better disc brakes from what I read. I like the mec. disc so much that when I got my touring bike I would not look at any with out disc brakes/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif I ended up with a 2010 Jamis Aurora Elite

So far I realy like the ride of the Steely the drop bars I am getting a little more comfy with each ride..

Sorry,
took a while to process all the info.
Cyclocross looks interesting as a sport, but, most of the bikes go for the single chain ring in the front, so, that's limiting, as is the front brake is on the right hand (ok, my motorcycle has that but, its still different).
The Cafe Sprint I kind ruled out because it has an Aluminum frame. To me, Al frames masks the little stuff, unlike steel (and possibly carbon... but,I've never been that rich).
The Touring rig might be a possabiliity. It has a wide range of gearing, probably doesn't weigh 30 lb (before bags).
The Fuji Absolute would be a direct match to the Cafe Noir, 105 Derailliers, flat bars, and a similar price, but, we're back to Aluminum. (ok could only find the Absolute 2 to compare it to).

In the 1960's it was do you want your Schwinn with 1 2 or 3 speeds
in 1971, my choice was free Schwinn Varsity, or pay for a Motobecane Mirage.. I paid
in 1993 my choices expanded, and I learned about Hybrid bikes
in 2010, I find my choices have yet again expanded, and I have to figure out each type.

Jamis makes a lot of different steel frame bikes some with carbon forks that weight in at 17.25# with road gears, I am not talking single speeds. The Aurora is like mine with fenders no rack and no disc brake, thay have it listed at 27.75 # the same as mine, so it might be lighter or mine might weigh more but mine feels light for a steel bike

Since I've gotten a lot of comments about going back to a road bike, I think I'll look for a nice day and see if I can rent a road bike ( there's a bike shop near the East Bay bike path, and I know they have some road bikes for rent... I believe they're Al Giant bikes). I'm not holding my breath on becoming an Al convert, but, it'll at least give me a feel for riding position. I can see if I want to be in that position again.
On the one standpoint, I've got an advantage, I've got a bike that almost fits, so, I can measure from that, which opens up a good fit on bikesdirect. The Jamis Aurora (and Elite look nice, but, I just have a hard time dropping 1600 on a bike that I'll probably only ride 1000 miles a year (weekend warrior). They do have better components than the Motobecane Gran Tourismo.

Fortunately, since it's 35 degrees outside, I think I've got to spring to figure out what I'm going to do

OK, Motobecane/Bikesdirect threw a curveball. I figured they''d put disc brakes on a Noir, but, no. they come out with the Century Flat bar bikes. I'd guess it's the Century Pro bikes refitted with flat bars, so, now you can get a carbon fiber Hybrid. Still waiting for a nice day to take a road bike out.