is it too late for a 31 yr old to become a pro rider?

cycleaddict

Jan 21, 2011
I'm kiran 31(he) from the himalyan country Nepal( the land of Mount Everest 8,848m) I'm not a pro bt i wud like becomin a pro rider does any 1 ve any idea wer sud i go for tht? I do take part in local races. I like climbing uphill think Im born for uphill and I'm good in uphill( poor in downhill).I do 20km(2km steep uphill) evry day and 80km(16km uphill 600 mtrs climbing which I finish in an hr) every 1ce a week minimum.
Kiran

Reactions: haleylx4
Your health and endurance are larger factors than your age. If you can keep up with or surpass younger riders you clearly have the ability.

Age I don't think matters that much but obviously I couldn't see a someone of 31 starting out and then riding the Tour-De-France with the main groups, however they could still ride in lower professional groups. My friends dad is in his 50's and does professional riding still.

I think you do not have to worry yet about your age because at 31 the body is still good to undergo rigorous training. You can do anything you desire that is your choice. People older than 31 are making their dreams come true be it in sports, hobby or whatever goals they may have.

Age doesn't matter to me. You could be 40 and still make it into the pros if you got the motive and the energy to still undergo through vigorous and hard training.

ZXD22 said:
Age doesn't matter to me. You could be 40 and still make it into the pros if you got the motive and the energy to still undergo through vigorous and hard training.
And the right genes. You're leaving out what may be the single most important factor in jumping from a good amateur racer, to a pro on the world circuit.

And age does matter. To everyone. It's hard to ride Father Time off your wheel, or chase him down on a break.

Age isn't as much of a factor as some will claim even if it is one. Larger gaps in years and varying health levels can be a factor. if you are north of 60 and trying to outdo a bunch of people in their teens or twenties yeah, but 31? I don't see why you couldn't do well unless you had health problems. I know people that were in way better shape in their thirties then they were in their twenties.

mpre53 said:
And the right genes. You're leaving out what may be the single most important factor in jumping from a good amateur racer, to a pro on the world circuit.

And age does matter. To everyone. It's hard to ride Father Time off your wheel, or chase him down on a break.
I may not be the competitive type so I agree to the age that it is a factor. Although I think 31 is not that old but considering that you are just starting, that would be a bit late. And unless you have exceptional genes in your body, you will just end up as also ran in a professional race. However, there is a saying that go where you heart is. If you truly enjoy racing and you are prepared to face the hardship of training and the pain of losing, go ahead. Good luck to your dreams.

In my late 20s, I could run a marathon under 2:40, and I could win a local 10 kilometer road race.

I'd still finish a half hour behind the winner of the Boston/NY/Olympic marathon, and in a 10,000 meter (10 kilometer) Olympic qualifying heat I'd probably be lapped twice.

Hard work, and training your ass off, and dreams, are only going to take you so far in athletcis.

There's an old saying: if you want to be an Olympic champion, choose your parents wisely.

Even a workhorse domestique on the pro circuit will blow the doors off a cat 1 amateur racer.