Is it too late to start training for L'Etape du Tour?

Crockett said:
If your buddy is witnessing the poor descending skills of "said fat-arsed Americans", you might want to query him on why he was behind said folk after reaching the summit of the high mountains. Pretty weak!

Because they start the "said fat-arsed Americans" a few hours ahead of the cyclists proper. **** breath.

Poor return of serve. Game set match WBT. :p

whiteboytrash said:
Because they start the "said fat-arsed Americans" a few hours ahead of the cyclists proper. **** breath.

Dumbass, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last year there were 8,000 entrants in Le Etape, only 163 were Americans.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tourdefrance07/Etape_du_Tour_2007_article_129391.html

I have done many of the big Cyclos and Granfondos in Europe, always a Gold time and so far have never been passed on a descent....except by the Italians. Those guys who cannot desend are usually the Dutch, Beligum, or UK riders who have no experiance on Alpine climbs.

Game Set Match *****

whiteboytrash said:
I remember a young WBT backpacking around Europe at age 21 with a good mate of mine from Australia. We were staying at this youth hostel in Grindelwald Switzerland. We had spent the last two months on the road drinking at a good metronomic rate day in day out. Standard stuff for a back packing tour. Anyway we were chilling out the front of this youth hostel admiring our well worn, unwashed clothes & tatty backpacks when a "pick-up truck" with full on bull-bar and headlight rack rocks up and skids into place out the front of the hostel. The truck was full of yanks supposedly backpacking but they had the full North Face mountain gear on and they looked like they'd been staying in 5 star hotels most of their trip. They were all way to clean to be backpacking like the real people. Anyway there were two blokes in the back of this pick-up high fiving each other shouting out in load American "Hey ! Where here ! Where going to tear this place apart with beer ! Come on dudes ! Lets do it ! Lets rock this town" One bloke pulls out an esky from the back of the truck and they go check into the hostel.

Being young & naive to the ways of the world at 21 we thought this was the real deal. We were scared of these guys. They were going to drink this youth hostel dry then they were going to take all the women and we'd be left all alone. How **** were we ? Why would we even bother with the thought of picking up foreign chics ? let alone trying.

However as the the evening bore on these college boys were still talking it up and boozing at a rate my grandmother would have been ashamed of - shocking. Then it happened. Around about 10pm they started to drop. They couldn't hold their drink ! Myself and my mate kept drinking at our usual rate and drank well until 4am. Just a standard night on the road for us.

The next morning the frat boys start high fiving us and saying stuff like "jesus christ man you guys are like totally crazy ! I've never seen anyone drink so much ! Like that must of been your biggest night in your entire life"..... "well.....err.... no... umm, errr.....we've been drinking like that for 2 months straight..." "No way man, no way !"

Summary. Yanks love to talk it up, have all the gear but they never back it up with substance. I learnt that at 21 but I digress.....
You and Cadel (wheel sucker) Evans, last of the Aussie hard men

I wonder I should tell the story of the time I saw abunch of drunk Aussies banging sheep?

Ava Marie said:

I wonder I should tell the story of the time I saw abunch of drunk Aussies banging sheep?
Were they Aussie cyclists? :confused: :eek:

Ava Marie said:

Hmm, this thread could get kinda interesting!

whiteboytrash said:

Now do Americans get 1 hr head start, FA citizens of the world a 1 hr head start, and lucky FAAs a 2 hr head start?

Funny how there's no mention of FAA head starts in the write up of the race or in the route and timing descriptions. Must have been a one time deal when your "friend" did the race. Surely he is twisting the facts in his telling the tale to you, as you wouldn't come on here and misrepresent.

I could never do one of these things because I climb like a rock.

As for the American stuff, I can assure you that there are at least some Americans that know how to ride a bike and are not fat.

whiteboytrash said:
This is the problem with the etape now. Pre-2000 it was a fantastic event. 1000 Europeans riding a Tour stage on closed roads. What a wonderful day out.
I agree with what you've said, but you're still a moron.

jimmypop said:
I agree with what you've said, but you're still a moron.

WBT just drilled the etape in 9 hours. Valverde the needle will probably do the Pau-Hautecam stage in 4 hours. I will write more later as I'm heading back to Paris on the TGV but one story; it was a wet windy day & I will feeling cold. The first feed station was a a rugby scrum & I didnt eat enough. After 100km at the base of the Tourmalet I thought prudent to get more food in. I see feed station & although a little annoyed that this one had Trek banners over it I needed the food so I'd go against my morals. WBT rolls in & grabs a bannana to have it ripped out of my hand ! An American marketing boy from Trek shouts at me "God dam you ! You have an Italian bike ! This feed station is only for people riding Trek bikes.. move on would ya !"

You could only imagine how WBT felt being ousted by a Trek head ! I was not happy especailly in my food depleted state.

One comment on the stage. The Hautecam is tough. Very tough & very steep. The roads are super narrow. In closing. All Tour riders take drugs. I'm sure of that now.

whiteboytrash said:
WBT just drilled the etape in 9 hours. Valverde the needle will probably do the Pau-Hautecam stage in 4 hours. I will write more later as I'm heading back to Paris on the TGV but one story; it was a wet windy day & I will feeling cold. The first feed station was a a rugby scrum & I didnt eat enough. After 100km at the base of the Tourmalet I thought prudent to get more food in. I see feed station & although a little annoyed that this one had Trek banners over it I needed the food so I'd go against my morals. WBT rolls in & grabs a bannana to have it ripped out of my hand ! An American marketing boy from Trek shouts at me "God dam you ! You have an Italian bike ! This feed station is only for people riding Trek bikes.. move on would ya !"

You could only imagine how WBT felt being ousted by a Trek head ! I was not happy especailly in my food depleted state.

One comment on the stage. The Hautecam is tough. Very tough & very steep. The roads are super narrow. In closing. All Tour riders take drugs. I'm sure of that now.

Well done on completing the Etape.
9 hours is a superb time : gold medal category???
Fair dues to you.

Looking forward to reading your more detailed account.

whiteboytrash said:

Good job,

The Fred from the Times only beat you by an hour
http://theclimb.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/final-score-a-soaked-mackey-conquers-tourmalet/

Powerful Pete said:
How long has the NY Times guy been riding/training for l'étape?
If you check the blog post linked in the first post of this thread, it looks like he has been training seriously for less than 2 months. Somewhat ironic that WBT should whine about dudes like him attempting to ride this course, and then for the said dude to beat his time by almost 1 hour.

That may be the case, but what is this guy's background. From what I have heard finishing l'étape in 8 hours is nothing to sneeze at.

Powerful Pete said:
That may be the case, but what is this guy's background. From what I have heard finishing l'étape in 8 hours is nothing to sneeze at.
Did you read the blog post PP? He says in that post "So The Climb is a blog that will chart my attempt, as a 41-year-old beginner cyclist who has never been in a bike race of any kind — and had never ridden even 50 miles in one day until last Saturday — to find out what it takes for an ordinary, not-particularly-fit mortal to survive a single, grueling, mountain stage of the world’s greatest cycling race."

Powerful Pete said:
Finishing in 8 hours is very good. I have two friends who did it, both Cat 2's and they finished only a few minutes ahead of the NYT guy. Apparently the writer had little experiance on the bike but he must have been some kind of athlete as 8 hours is a good time.

whiteboytrash said:

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...THE FAT ASSED AMERICAN BEAT YOU BY AN HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like a Brit to talk big and perform small. Wow, I was just reading another book about North Africa/Montgomery....will you guys ever learn to shut your mouths?

TheDarkLord said:
Did you read the blog post PP? He says in that post "So The Climb is a blog that will chart my attempt, as a 41-year-old beginner cyclist who has never been in a bike race of any kind — and had never ridden even 50 miles in one day until last Saturday — to find out what it takes for an ordinary, not-particularly-fit mortal to survive a single, grueling, mountain stage of the world’s greatest cycling race."
Oooops. Did not realise it was a blog. I will check it out this evening. Sounds very impressive, by the way.

How utterly depressing to see this negative mentality towards new cyclists. No wonder cyclists are perceived as being snobbish, closed-minded, and completely shunning of all outsiders. The Europeans had it with the Americans coming over, and now the Americans have adopted it as well with other new Americans who apparently aren't worthy because they didn't find the sport early enough. This mentality - assumed sense of privalege for you and everyone that came before you, but wanting to shut the door for everyone else - is simply not good for cycling.

And I completely do not understand this hostility towards new-comers who are able to buy better equipment. When I started out with the guitar in high school, I had no money. I had a broken six-string, and hated it, and almost gave it up several times. When I started out in tennis in college, I was still relatively broke; I had to buy el cheapo equipment. When I started out with cycling as an adult, I had more money. I could start out with better equipment. Any endeavor is more enjoyable with good equipment, and the more enjoyable it is, the more likely you're going to keep up with it. I don't understand why I should feel hostility to the guy picking up tennis in his 40's who's able to buy a really nice racket right away - I hope he enjoys the sport, I hope he keeps at it, I want the sport, which I love, to become more popular.

People coming to the sport at any stage are going to buy what they can afford - and if they join the sport later in life, they'll have more disposable income than the guy who picked up the sport in high school. Why the guy who can afford more should purposely buy junk just to 'fit in' with other existing riders with an inflated sense of privalege is beyond me. If people are that threatened by new-comers, perhaps they need to re-evaluate their priorities in life.