Is it true that Shimano is much less durable then Camp or SRAM?

Peter@vecchios said:
Can't really since almost all of the levers that come to us we didn't sell...
Without correlation of units returned for units sold, the number of returns could conceivably be more a factor of the number of bikes sold with Shimano componentry, rather than any particular tendency for Shimano to crater.

Peter@vecchios said:
Spent a couple of weeks over in Perth. Beautiful, peaceful, friendly.
Strange - I live in Perth and my kids don't describe me that way.

EoinC said:
Without correlation of units returned for units sold, the number of returns could conceivably be more a factor of the number of bikes sold with Shimano componentry, rather than any particular tendency for Shimano to crater.

Could be but considering an item that is SO expensive, I think any return rate is almost unacceptable. We have seen may warranties of 9s shimano 'stuff'. The other problem is the lack of enthusiasm the shop that SOLD the bike has to actually take care of the customer. If these BIG resellers of shimano had replacements on hand, because they see many of these levers fail also, they could keep their customers, rather than see them come to me. BUT in many trekspecializedgiantfeltcannondalekona dealers, service is an expense, a liability, not a benefit.

Well, yesterday I finally decided on the Ultegra and 105 conbination. Since I was not able to find a frame that fitted my need$, all were or too expensive carbon frames (Cinelli, Orbea, etc) or too cheap ones I decided on only upgrading my old 8 spd 105 to 10spd almost all Ultegra. So I got Ultegra shifters, deraileurs, cassette, chain and a 105 crank. Since my frame is has italian bottom bracket I had to look for a italian bottom bracket and leave the one that came with the crankset for the future.
I got Ultegra 6600, I saw there is an Ultegra SL but beside color I don't know if there is any difference in performance or something else. I still would like a fancy frame but will wait until I find one that really fits my needs and that looks good. They are importing some Merida bikes in a Shop I visited and a Al bike with 10sp 105 105 is selling for around $1600, others I've seen with 105 are sold for more than 2000. The Merida I saw was great looking red/white and light, maybe around 19lbs or less. Let's wait and see if they bring some Merida frames.
Now let's see when will I have the time to actually install all those parts. I'm really lazy about the shifters, well not really the shifters but the bar tape. Any tips for this? Sometimes I ride with torn tape just because I'm lazy to replace it eventhough I already have a couple of spare rolls :( .

My first bike ever was the Performance Focus, fully loaded with Shimano Ultegra 8sp STI. The STI lever broke, twice and finally when I called SHIMANO to find out about a replacement part? They told me it's no longe made.......

Rep told me to head to eBay to get a replacement one but.....I said: The heck with this I'm getting all Dura Ace and a new bike, the rest is history.

Anyhow, I bout a 2004 bike in 2007, all with DA 9sp and now the (left) STI shifter has a piece that's broken but nonetheless, the shifter works fine, I just don't like that little (looks like a washer on the outside of the mechanism) piece moving around everything I shift (using the entire lever to go up).

I've only had Shimano drive train and all I can say is that the rest of the parts have worked and last for a long time, except the STI lever, which I'm not to happy with 'em. But I'll upgrade to DA 10sp soon.

Solanog said:
I'm really lazy about the shifters, well not really the shifters but the bar tape. Any tips for this? Sometimes I ride with torn tape just because I'm lazy to replace it eventhough I already have a couple of spare rolls :( .
I agree with you about tape. It is probably the only thing that I don't like to do. Maybe if I did it better......? Anyway, there are the foam handlebar grips that you find on some department store bikes that you can use until you feel up to the torture of taping. They even add a little incentive to get to it when you are riding around on a nice high end bike but it looks like a Wal-mart special. I believe Nashbar sells them, but I don't know if they sell internationally. One other suggestion is go old school and get down tube shifters:rolleyes:.

Nasgul said:
My first bike ever was the Performance Focus, fully loaded with Shimano Ultegra 8sp STI. The STI lever broke, twice and finally when I called SHIMANO to find out about a replacement part? They told me it's no longe made.......

Rep told me to head to eBay to get a replacement one but.....I said: The heck with this I'm getting all Dura Ace and a new bike, the rest is history.

Anyhow, I bout a 2004 bike in 2007, all with DA 9sp and now the (left) STI shifter has a piece that's broken but nonetheless, the shifter works fine, I just don't like that little (looks like a washer on the outside of the mechanism) piece moving around everything I shift (using the entire lever to go up).

I've only had Shimano drive train and all I can say is that the rest of the parts have worked and last for a long time, except the STI lever, which I'm not to happy with 'em. But I'll upgrade to DA 10sp soon.
I've been using Shimano components since the mid-70s (Crane), and Campy shortly afterward ... I love Shimano components & their customer service ...

But, I use Campagnolo shifters (not because I personally have had any Shimano shifters fail) with my Shimano derailleurs because the Campy shifters work better for the type of riding I do (mountain roads).

The question you have to ask yourself is:

WHY ARE YOU PLANNING TO REPEAT YOUR PAST EXPERIENCE WITH A NEW SET OF DA SHIFTERS IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH THE STI SHIFTERS?

IS IT A DEVIL-YOU-KNOW SITUATION?

BTW. I've been able to rebuild several Campy shifters ... on the other hand, I know people who have Shimano STI "paperweights."​

Nasgul said:

My experience with DA 9 sp STI has been fine for five years and 20K miles. Believe a lot of what you hear attributed as component failures are due to other causes.

When you buy a three year old used bike, no telling how the STI shifters (or anything else) were used or abused. Some people are oblivious to tuning and cable problems, or are just hard on shifters. I once rode with a guy that constantly shifted on the flats (several times a minute) whether he needed to or not.

dhk2 said:
When you buy a three year old used bike, no telling how the STI shifters (or anything else) were used or abused. Some people are oblivious to tuning and cable problems, or are just hard on shifters. I once rode with a guy that constantly shifted on the flats (several times a minute) whether he needed to or not.

I Litespeed was offered to me with Camp Record, old models, but they were destroyed! Eventhough they could be rebuild why would you pay for something that does not work. I tried to negotiate the frame only but they wanted to sell the complete bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
I've bashed the **** out of 4 sets of 9sp Dura-Ace stuff for the last five years (I usually do about 17,000 to 19,000kms a year), and it's all still going well, despite a few mashes, which seemed to impact heavily on the levers (the caps got smashed up each time). I'm kinda hoping some of my 9sp stuff will clap out so I can buy some new 10sp levers :)

Originally Posted by petervecchios
You are who shimano is counting on....

dhk2 said:
My DA 9 speed triple stuff is holding up fine at 20K miles now. Only maintenance required has been the replacement of the shift cables after the front cable broke this spring. Sure when a shifter wears out I'll have to buy new rather than repair, but based on the trouble-free service I've gotten over 5 years, feel I've already gotten my money's worth. Agree maintenance-free designs aren't my favorite, but if they last "forever" :) it's really a moot point.
my first STI's didn't exactly last forever...