Is it worth it to throw the Tiagra groupset on my bike.

As much as I've advised against upgrading in the past, in your case I'm inclined to say go ahead. The Sora stuff is wearing out, you like the rest of the bike and intend to keep riding it, you know what you're getting, and the price is good. Tiagra 4600 is good kit. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Vin Stein

Giant OCR 3 2003
Currently outfitted with an old SORA groupset.
I absolutely love this bike and it conforms to my body with such perfection.

I am looking at getting this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPGBK9E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1K69QO4Q9D70W&coliid=IPSWFHX5JGKA7

The main reason is I am looking to put more life into this bike, the SORA groupset is dying.
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
As much as I've advised against upgrading in the past, in your case I'm inclined to say go ahead. The Sora stuff is wearing out, you like the rest of the bike and intend to keep riding it, you know what you're getting, and the price is good. Tiagra 4600 is good kit. Good luck.
That TIAGRA group seems like a pretty good deal ...

BUT, a pair of 10-speed CAMPAGNOLO shifters bought on eBay ($120 +/-) will be a less expensive, simpler & result in better shifting (yes, I know that "the pretender" will question that statement ... that's his trolling prerogative) ...

The V3 Campagnolo shifters will require a T-25 Wrench which has a 4" shaft ...

T-25 bits with 4" shafts that will fit in screwdriver handles which can accept different tips will cost ~1/4 (or, less) as much as a dedicated wrench ...

The older V2 Campagnolo shifters will use the same 5mm Wrench with a 4" shaft which will used to remove the Shimano shifter ...

Most USED Campagnolo shifters will outlast a new pair of Shimano shifters ...

When necessary, most Campagnolo shifters can be rebuilt ...

et cetera ...

Where are you finding campy 10 speed shifters in decent shape for $120 on Ebay? The cheapest I've seen them go is north of $150.

I just bought a new Tiagra 4600 2x10 brifter set for about $95 with shipping. They look and feel pretty nice, haven't mounted them to the bike yet.

My old sora 8 speed brifters are still going strong after many seasons. You bike may just need new cabling, a cassette and/or a chain for it to feel new again.

I am looking to get shifters both accessible from the drops. Also I want to get off my triple crank and go to a double mainly because I haven't used the smallest chainring in the history of owning the bike.

What sizes are the rings on your triple? 52-39-30? If so, and you're never using the 30, a standard double (53/39) would make more sense than a compact (50/34) if you do the switch. If you handle any hills easily on your 39/(whatever your biggest rear cog is, probably 25t) combo, why do you want a 34 ring in front?
If it's only your shifters that are going, and your RD works fine, and you're keeping it at 9 speeds on the back, your best and cheapest option is buy a pair of newer (2013>) Sora shifters, which now work the same way as Tiagra and up, allowing easy shifts from the drops.

Originally Posted by mpre53
What sizes are the rings on your triple? 52-39-30? If so, and you're never using the 30, a standard double (53/39) would make more sense than a compact (50/34) if you do the switch. If you handle any hills easily on your 39/(whatever your biggest rear cog is, probably 25t) combo, why do you want a 34 ring in front?

If it's only your shifters that are going, and your RD works fine, and you're keeping it at 9 speeds on the back, your best and cheapest option is buy a pair of newer (2013>) Sora shifters, which now work the same way as Tiagra and up, allowing easy shifts from the drops.
you have a good point.
The current crank is 30/42/52 which is a weird combo.
I think a 39/53 would be better and I'll look into the new sora stuff.

Quote:Originally Posted by maydog .Where are you finding campy 10 speed shifters in decent shape for $120 on Ebay? The cheapest I've seen them go is north of $150.

I just bought a new Tiagra 4600 2x10 brifter set for about $95 with shipping. They look and feel pretty nice, haven't mounted them to the bike yet.

My old sora 8 speed brifters are still going strong after many seasons. You bike may just need new cabling, a cassette and/or a chain for it to feel new again.

I found these V3 Veloce shifters a few minutes ago (~12:30MST) ... $129.95 (shipping included), BUY IT NOW ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-2013-Veloce-ALLOY-Ergo-Lever-shifters-Black-Power-Shift-/281117000860?pt=US_Shifters&hash=item4173e1049c

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Sora-FC-R350-Crankset-Integrated/dp/B007Q4ORD4/ref=sr_1_18?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1389210154&sr=1-18&keywords=shimano+sora+crankset

I found a 52/39 which is fine.
how many parts would I need to get to make the conversion.
I am new to cycling so bare with me here.

I have a few questions:
1. will I need to replace the bottom bracket
2. besides chain and shifters will I need anything else?

*EDIT*
with further research I found that my bike is the 2005 model I guess *EDIT* again i think my bike might be the 2006 model, I got the bike used lol.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2005&Brand=Giant&Model=OCR%203&Type=bike#.Us2uL9Ksgyo
these specs are not entirely accurate as I am not sure of the year it is either 2004, 2005, 2006 I think?
I know this because i currently have the truvativ touro.

The one thing I do know is that my sora is old and only comes with a 8 speed rear cog setup.

Some I guess my next question is do I need to replace the rear derailleur along with the cogs.
and how do I know if my back tire can fit 9 cogs on its current setup?

Originally Posted by Vin Stein

The one thing I do know is that my sora is old and only comes with a 8 speed rear cog setup.

Some I guess my next question is do I need to replace the rear derailleur along with the cogs.
and how do I know if my back tire can fit 9 cogs on its current setup?
Nope, Shimano 7-, 8-, 9-, and road 10-speed rear derailleurs use the same pull ratio. MTB 10 and road 11 are incompatible. You should match the front derailleur to the chain and number of chainrings, though.