is it worth it to upgrade my mongoose

Dr.Q

Mar 23, 2004
I just got a mongoose full suspension aluminum bike. I know it's a piece of ****, but I was at a pon shop and got it for $80. I don’t have a lot of money to get the bike I want which is the SPECIALIZED FSR ENDURO PRO, but I figure that I can make this bike at least better that my last bike by upgrading all the components. But my question is this, is it worth it? And how good will this bike be when I’m done with the upgrades. Also any suggestions on components would be nice.

nope. i wouldn't waste your time and money. the sooner you start saving, the sooner you can get a decent bike and throw away that xmart piece of **** before it breaks

Originally posted by bigchina
nope. i wouldn't waste your time and money. the sooner you start saving
well that is the problem i dont have any mony to save, just a little hear and there from on the side jobs. so if i was to save for a nice bike i would be saving for probley 3-5 years just because right now being maryed and having rent and all that kind of stuff just suckes up the money. so as i figer i can upgrade my **** so i can at least ride, and when i finley have the money i can get a nice frame and take the good parts off the **** bike and put them on my nice new frame.

ermm well if u just need a rideable bike then u could do a few upgrades...but good new bike parts are more expensive than you think...so you should just put up with it and get a good job.

Cant wait to start my full time job, im 17 and as soon as i start im savin up for the bike im gonna build...hmm cant wait

Originally posted by Dr.Q
well that is the problem i dont have any mony to save, just a little hear and there from on the side jobs. so if i was to save for a nice bike i would be saving for probley 3-5 years just because right now being maryed and having rent and all that kind of stuff just suckes up the money. so as i figer i can upgrade my **** so i can at least ride, and when i finley have the money i can get a nice frame and take the good parts off the **** bike and put them on my nice new frame.

yeah, thats a bummer. you could upgrade some crucial parts for the drivetrain and maybe a decent handlebar, but if you ride that bike for awhile, or do anything "fun", then that frame will break. then you'll have to shell out for a frame. then i guess if you did get a new frame, you could swap over your new parts, but then you would have to pay for any installation and tuning. honestly, with the total amount you would spend on decent parts and service for the 'goose, and maybe a tad extra, you could go to your LBS and get a cheap "real" bike that would last you much longer and would be a much wiser investment.

Upgrading parts could be the way to go if you want to upgrade without spending too much at a time BUT, this can bring other problems. Upgrading will probably need to be done in large chunks at a time. Drivetrain parts for example might require multiple parts at the same time for compatibility reasons. Its usually cheaper to just buy a full bike. Another problem is compatibility. The parts you buy for this bike might simply not fit when you chainge frame. You might need a different type of bottom bracket, derraelleur, stem, etc. You can do it but plan carefully. Also look at used bikes and equipment. You can get great deals on some stuff.

i am going to up grade with all xtr parts, i probley wont upgrade shocks just because there quite pricy and the ones i have work for now. but shifters and crank set are going to be xtr as with also allmost all the other parts i hope. so when i get a good frame i have sweet parts to use.

Originally posted by Dr.Q
i am going to up grade with all xtr parts, i probley wont upgrade shocks just because there quite pricy and the ones i have work for now. but shifters and crank set are going to be xtr as with also allmost all the other parts i hope. so when i get a good frame i have sweet parts to use.

hahaha.. BAD idea man. very bad idea. for the price of an xtr crankset you could buy a brand new sweet frame. i thought you said you were crunched for money? by the time you have enough for all xtr parts you'll be too old to ride.

the reasion i was thinking xtr was because i saw some xtr cranks on ebay for cheep. i know i need to watch out for scams or bad parts, but i have been buying stuff on ebay since it started.