is it worth replacing a old litespeed frame

stevie

Jan 19, 2004
I have a litespeed catalyst frame which I purchased in 1992 and am wondering if I purchase a new lite speed frame will there be any difference in performance and weight savings. I do a few citizens races every year and feel I may do better if I change to a lighter frame but I want to stay with titanium.My lightspeed now is approximatly 19 lbs, any suggestions..Thanks. :

stevie said:
I have a litespeed catalyst frame which I purchased in 1992 and am wondering if I purchase a new lite speed frame will there be any difference in performance and weight savings. I do a few citizens races every year and feel I may do better if I change to a lighter frame but I want to stay with titanium.My lightspeed now is approximatly 19 lbs, any suggestions..Thanks. :
Well sure,you can spend alot of money,and save a little weight. better economics in getting rid of excess bacon and training harder.

stevie said:
Suggestions:

First, find out the weigh savings for the new frame you want, and the cost. If you find you'll need to spend $2000 to save 14 ounces, then you can decide if it's "worth it" to you. You might be able to save more on your current bike by upgrading the fork, crankset, seat, components and wheels.

Another option to consider would be to buy a lightweight CF or AL frame, and build it strictly as a race bike with lightweight everything. Then, keep your old dog Catalyst as your bike for club rides, centuries, multi-day rides and tours. If you want to experience the difference a really light frame makes, why stay with Litespeed Ti?

OK...I also own a Litespeed Catalyst, although it's a 1997 model. I really do like this frame for its plush ride and durability...but recently I sold it to my brother.

I've always felt that..the last few years...that the catalyst although the most comfy ride...was heavy and not as stiff as I would have liked.

I have purchased a couple of CF frames the last few years and i can tell you that, the CF frames being lighter and stiffer, outperformed my old beloved Catalyst. One of my CF is way stiffer than the Catalyst but it would beat me up on long ride. The other CF frame is not as stiff as this one but it's much more comfy and also outperform the Catalyst. Both of my CFframes outperformed the Catalyst...and lighter as well.

If you're into racing and wants to purchase another Litespeed, i would suggest that you look into the Vortext or the Ultimate. The other models are just not stiff enough IMO.
BTW Litespeed is coming out with a compact Vortex within the next few months. also, Competitive Cyclists has the Ultimate frames at half price right now, I just saw the ad the other day.
GL and let us know what you'ved decided.....

stevie said:
Weight savings? Absolutely with several makers now with frames at a kilo or less, plus new forks can be 150-200gm lighter than what you have, and throw in the slight weight savings of the threadless headset.

Performance-maybe depending on what you define as performance.. More comfortable-maybe, stiffer-yes, if that is what you want, faster-not as much faster as you could would get with better training. More fun to have a new bike-DEFINITELY!!!!

stevie said:

Stevie ,

I'd recommend you keep the Litespeed frame(as long as it still fits properly.... and there is no structural damage).... I mean come on, its Ti....... it will last after we are all 6ft. under :)

If you want to lighten your 19lbs bike up , I'd recommend upgrading your components(not necessarily Carbon cranks.. they are big $$$) / wheelset , tires ........ and possibly your pedals(the new Time RXS seem sweet ) !

Have fun + stay SAFE out there ;)

I just switched from a similar vintage Fuji (Ti Sports) frame to a new Litespeed Vortex compact. My old bike had similar tubing sizes etc as your Litespeed. The big difference is stiffness. Both good and bad. And hint of lateral flex is gone, very responsive but at the same time rides pretty rough too.

I guess for accelerating, corning, sprinting and the like the newer frame is better. For just riding steady state over distance the older one beats you up less.

stevie said:

stevie said:
how much does the frame weigh? if anything, it will only be a 1 LBS difference. that's not worth the $$$. Furthermore, you do a couple of citi races every year. Is that worht the $$$. Probably not. like some others have suggested, look at the components and you might find more than the 1 LBs difference and cost a heck of a lot cheaper. you aren't going to lose a race because you have a 19 lbs bike and someone else has a 17 lbs bike in the cit races you do.

what is it you don't like about your bike? doesn't climb well, doesn't sprint well, doesn't turn well, doesn't descend well?

i would tend to look more at the training aspect and see what you can do to improve your training. again, much cheaper than buying a new bike that will probably be the difference. there are lots of people out there with the most expensive, lightest, highest tech bikes out there, but do they win the races? No, so you have to ask yourself why they aren't winning the races either since they have the top gear.

stevie said:

¿ do you want to change it ?
¿ can you afford to change it ?

¨nuff said , enjoy your xmas present .

I'd have to agree with this one physical and mental fitness mean so much more than the bike you're riding. And road bikes... they are so close in performance anyway. Up until last week I was riding a Ti bike very similar to your Litespeed and I got the weight down to 17.5lbs. Dura-Ace, light wheels, light seat + post, light bars + stem, and light pedals. Came within .5lbs of a new Trek Madone will full Dura-Ace.

Bang for your buck wheels do more than anything. I switched out a cira 1990 32 straight gauge spoke wheelset for a real nice set of Bontrager Race Lite-X wheels. It felt like a whole different bike. The new high tension light wheelset was much stiffer and responsive than the old ones.

laffingbilly said:
how much does the frame weigh? if anything, it will only be a 1 LBS difference. that's not worth the $$$. Furthermore, you do a couple of citi races every year. Is that worht the $$$. Probably not. like some others have suggested, look at the components and you might find more than the 1 LBs difference and cost a heck of a lot cheaper. you aren't going to lose a race because you have a 19 lbs bike and someone else has a 17 lbs bike in the cit races you do.

Hiya-------I just picked up a '95 Catalyst for way cheap on Ebay---my first titanium frame. Have been riding for 30+ years and devoted to classic steel bikes, which I've always felt had more "soul" than aluminum, CF, or titanium. But this Catalyst has been a revelation! I'm impressed, esp. w the 19# build weight----at age 62 I need all the advantages I can get.... By way of suggestions for paring wt. off a bike, I would suggest sewup wheels, Mavic GL330 or GEL 280 rims if you can find them.

stevie said:
Might be nice for a change of pace. I don't know when 3/2.5 alloy was first in use but, I don't think that it was used in 1992. The frame may be a bit flexy compared to the use of the alloy frame. The frames are lighter and can be mixed with carbon for a very light and strong frame. 15 years you deserve a change. Go for it!