Is Kerry a Fred?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Callistus Valerius, May 2, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. otto

    otto Guest

  3. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<5%[email protected]>...

    http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    > > y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    > >
    > > At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    > > ----------

    > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    >
    > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you

    decide.

    Yeah he's a Fred. I can't believe his PR people don't have him on a USPS
    Trek 5900 and USPS team kit. Or would that be even more Fredly?

  4. On 05/03/2004 04:25 AM, in article
    [email protected], "otto" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<5%[email protected]>...
    >> http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    >> y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    >>
    >> At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    >> ----------

    > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    >
    > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you
    > decide.

    I'll bet the t-shirts are simply campaign tools for photo ops. If he wasn't
    currently on the campaign trail, there'd be a jersey instead of a t-shirt.

    http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2004/kerry-shimano.jpeg

    Looks like a long-sleeve jersey under that t-shirt ...

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  5. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

  6. patrick

    patrick Guest

    duh... people.

    he is from crashachusetts.. maybe he was trained
    by tyler (did you notice that Zulle crashed AGAIN
    on saturday and did not finish the TdeRom?)

    > http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    > > > y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    > > >
    > > > At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    > > > ----------

    > > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    > >
    > > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you

    > decide.
    >
    > Yeah he's a Fred. I can't believe his PR people don't have him on a USPS
    > Trek 5900 and USPS team kit. Or would that be even more Fredly?

  7. Miller

    Miller Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<5%[email protected]>...
    > > >

    > http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    > > > y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    > > >
    > > > At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    > > > ----------

    > > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    > >
    > > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you

    > decide.
    >
    > Yeah he's a Fred. I can't believe his PR people don't have him on a USPS
    > Trek 5900 and USPS team kit. Or would that be even more Fredly?

    This is bad news. He's riding a bike so he must be doing drugs as well!!

  8. JP

    JP Guest

    "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<5%[email protected]>...
    > http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    > y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    >
    > At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    > ----------
    >
    > This story would be of great interest to rbr participants I would suspect
    > http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGALVR3VRTD.html

    Compare to Bush falling off of a Segway:

    http://www.bikexprt.com/witness/product/bushfalls.htm

    JP

  9. MortDubois

    MortDubois Guest

    He's not a Fred. I would just say he's a guy on a bike, happens to
    have a nice frame, so just let him ride w/o judgement. (Maybe there
    should be another word for people who don't particulary care if they
    have the perfect bike/clothing/accessory setup, and would rather
    ride.) Freds aren't the menace that you would think from reading this
    NG. In my experience, stuck up asshole racers far outnumber Freds,
    and do a lot more to harm the sport.

    Mort

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<5%[email protected]>...
    > > >

    > http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    > > > y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    > > >
    > > > At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    > > > ----------

    > > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    > >
    > > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you

    > decide.
    >
    > Yeah he's a Fred. I can't believe his PR people don't have him on a USPS
    > Trek 5900 and USPS team kit. Or would that be even more Fredly?

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<5%[email protected]>...
    >> http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    >> y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    >>
    >> At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    >> ----------

    >http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    >
    >serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you
    >decide.

    10spd dura-ace too. I'm jealous.
    --------------
    Alex

  11. "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<5%[email protected]>...
    > > >

    > http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    > > > y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    > > >
    > > > At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    > > > ----------

    > > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    > >
    > > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you

    > decide.
    >
    > Yeah he's a Fred. I can't believe his PR people don't have him on a USPS
    > Trek 5900 and USPS team kit. Or would that be even more Fredly?

    Fredliness is next to spudliness.

    At least he rides. Acording to the article from the original link he
    does ride as often as he can.

    Clinton and Bush used to run. After a while in the Whitehouse much
    less of that was seen from either.

  12. patrick wrote:

    > duh... people.
    >
    > he is from crashachusetts.. maybe he was trained
    > by tyler (did you notice that Zulle crashed AGAIN
    > on saturday and did not finish the TdeRom?)

    Zulle is training specifically for the TdF stage that finishes on Ile
    d'Oleron in 2005.

  13. Chris

    Chris Guest

  14. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "MortDubois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > He's not a Fred. I would just say he's a guy on a bike, happens to
    > have a nice frame, so just let him ride w/o judgement.

    As stated eslewhere makes you a Fred too.

    > (Maybe there
    > should be another word for people who don't particulary care if they
    > have the perfect bike/clothing/accessory setup, and would rather
    > ride.)

    We already have a word for that, now don't we? You miss the point entirely.
    Anyone that buys a race bike and uses it to tool around is a Fred.

    > Freds aren't the menace that you would think from reading this
    > NG. In my experience, stuck up asshole racers far outnumber Freds,
    > and do a lot more to harm the sport.
    >
    > Mort

    This is true, but they are still Freds.

    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > news:<5%[email protected]>...

    http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr

    > > > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    > > >
    > > > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt.

    you
    > > decide.
    > >
    > > Yeah he's a Fred. I can't believe his PR people don't have him on a USPS
    > > Trek 5900 and USPS team kit. Or would that be even more Fredly?

  15. Henry Etta

    Henry Etta Guest

    "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<5%[email protected]>...
    >> http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    >> y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    >>
    >> At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    >> ----------

    > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    >
    > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you
    > decide.

    Very cool! He now has my vote.

    Henry Etta

  16. Henry Etta

    Henry Etta Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > At least he rides. Acording to the article from the original link he
    > does ride as often as he can.

    I can't wait until he in the White House to see a squad of Secret Service
    Agents in his peloton. <G>

    Henry Etta

    > Clinton and Bush used to run. After a while in the Whitehouse much
    > less of that was seen from either.

  17. Henry Etta

    Henry Etta Guest

  18. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: "Henry Etta" [email protected]

    >Is that Bush's bicycle in the background?
    >
    >Henry Etta

    Can't be, not enough wheels to be his human powered cycle, and the moped is
    out in the garage with the limo.
    Bill C

  19. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BCBB856C.2F6C8%[email protected]>...
    > On 05/03/2004 04:25 AM, in article
    > [email protected], "otto" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<5%[email protected]>...
    > >> http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/02/kerr
    > >> y_uninjured_in_fall_from_bicycle?mode=PF
    > >>
    > >> At least he didn't blame the secret service agents.
    > >> ----------

    > > http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/bigpic.jsp?photoid=20040502SRS101
    > >
    > > serotta bike, what looks like assos shorts, matched with a t-shirt. you
    > > decide.

    > I'll bet the t-shirts are simply campaign tools for photo ops. If he wasn't
    > currently on the campaign trail, there'd be a jersey instead of a t-shirt.
    >
    > http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2004/kerry-shimano.jpeg
    >
    > Looks like a long-sleeve jersey under that t-shirt ...

    Longsleeve OGWGFIW jersey?

    Hey, he's modestly decked out. Imagine how preposterous that would
    look with carbon or trispoke wheels. At least he's got good taste in
    bikes ... could have been an old Varsity...

  20. TM

    TM Guest

    news:5%[email protected]

    Is he riding the bike for votes? Yes.

    Is he riding the bike even if it costs him votes? No.