Is knee pain normal when switching to clipless pedals?

halfpint

Aug 22, 2006
In preparing for clipless pedals, I started riding this week with the ball of my foot over the center of the pedal, where it will be with clipless, instead of my foot being further forward on the pedal, as it has been in the past inside the toe cage I've used. I know I may need to adjust my seat height but is this normal to feel pain in and around the knees until I get used to the new position? I feel like I'm putting more strain on my knees and upper quads than I did with my foot slightly more forward on the pedal. Any suggestions?

I was told to use 'easier' gears for a few rides after changing to clipless until the new muscles used get used to being used more.

Is 'easier' gears higher or lower?

Ginny in Denver
05 Specialzed Comp

imagesinthewind said:
I was told to use 'easier' gears for a few rides after changing to clipless until the new muscles used get used to being used more.

Is 'easier' gears higher or lower?

Ginny in Denver
05 Specialzed Comp
An easier gear is a lower one, with less gear inches. Use a bigger cog at the back and pedal faster, instead of slower. As to knee problems, it could be saddle height, fore-aft, gearing etc. It usually means your seat would be too low. If you have your inseam measurement, you could set the saddle height correctly. Otherwise, move the seat so when the cranks are parallel to the seat tube, when you put your heel over the pedal axle, your leg is very close to full extension.

easier gears whould be the ones that use a higher cadence...

you shouldn't have knee pain from your clipless pedals... you may need to go back to the shop and make sure that your cleats are on straight and that everything is properly alligned. If it hurts its wrong...

halfpint said:
...with the ball of my foot over the center of the pedal, where it will be with clipless, instead of my foot being further forward on the pedal, as it has been in the past inside the toe cage I've used. ....

I would suggest that you mount your cleats to put the foot in the position that you are used to. Whereas the ball of foot over pedal spindle is the common convention, it is certainly acceptable to mount the cleat such that the foot is positioned a little further forward or backwards depending on individual anatomy and comfort preferences. Positioning the ball of the foot up to a centimeter or more in front of the pedal spindle may be ideal for you. Your observations are exactly what would be predicted--a farther back foot position puts more strain on the knees and quads.

See this link for discussion--scroll down to the cleat position discussions about 3/4 of the way down:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/letters07-26#Cleat

Steve Hogg is fairly well respected but he does have his opponents, though. I would say that based on your experience, you need your ball of foot more foreward of the spindle.

The amount of latteral float that is built into your particular brand of clipless pedal can also have an effect on your knees.

There are brands of pedals that do not allow much float, whereas others will give your foot more latteral freedom. If you find that your knee is in pain, it could mean that you need a model of pedal that offers more float than you are currently using.

John M said:
I would suggest that you mount your cleats to put the foot in the position that you are used to. Whereas the ball of foot over pedal spindle is the common convention, it is certainly acceptable to mount the cleat such that the foot is positioned a little further forward or backwards depending on individual anatomy and comfort preferences. Positioning the ball of the foot up to a centimeter or more in front of the pedal spindle may be ideal for you. Your observations are exactly what would be predicted--a farther back foot position puts more strain on the knees and quads.

See this link for discussion--scroll down to the cleat position discussions about 3/4 of the way down:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/letters07-26#Cleat

Steve Hogg is fairly well respected but he does have his opponents, though. I would say that based on your experience, you need your ball of foot more foreward of the spindle.
Thanks so much for the info and your advice.....

halfpint said:
Thanks so much for the info and your advice.....
I think you've moved your foot position too much in one attempt. - It needs to be a gradual adjustment prior to switching to clipless, over a number of rides to give your muscles time to adapt, and to find if you've pushed it too far - i.e. pain.

Once you are happy with a position that can be obtained with the clipless pedal, then switch over.