Is Kreitler belt repairable?



F

Freewheeling

Guest
I've a small break where the bond is located, and was wondering if there's a
way to rebond the item. Al used to suggest rebonding at the factory if the
belt became stretched, and I wondered if there's a simple method, or if it's
just more reasonable to buy a new one? I also noticed that Kreitler no
longer has a lifetime warranty. Do they honor the lifetime warranties on
the old units, for the original owner? (No, I don't expect that to cover
the belt.)

--
--Scott
 
On my Kreitler rollers the belt is Urethane.

When it deteriorated I bought a new piece of Urethane, heated the ends
in a flame till they were 'gooey' and pushed them together. I left it
till the next day before using it.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****************
 
J

jim beam

Guest
Freewheeling wrote:
> I've a small break where the bond is located, and was wondering if there's a
> way to rebond the item. Al used to suggest rebonding at the factory if the
> belt became stretched, and I wondered if there's a simple method, or if it's
> just more reasonable to buy a new one? I also noticed that Kreitler no
> longer has a lifetime warranty. Do they honor the lifetime warranties on
> the old units, for the original owner? (No, I don't expect that to cover
> the belt.)
>

try loctite 404.
 
F

Freewheeling

Guest
Lewis! Long time no see! How are things in Texas? Are those cleats
bionically attached to your bare feet holding up OK?

I asked this question, quite by mistake, over on the racing group and not
only did a get a rude nasty over-the-top response, but they apparently knew
diddly about repairing the belt. I suspected that it could be repaired with
heat, but wanted to check first with someone who'd done it. Al Kreitler
used to say that the belt would pretty much last forever (though it might
need to be rebonded). Well, not forever exactly... but as long as a horse
or something.

If you can't be handsome, at least you can be handy.

--Scott
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On my Kreitler rollers the belt is Urethane.
>
> When it deteriorated I bought a new piece of Urethane, heated the ends
> in a flame till they were 'gooey' and pushed them together. I left it
> till the next day before using it.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *****************
>
 
R

RonSonic

Guest
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:22:20 -0700, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>Freewheeling wrote:
>> I've a small break where the bond is located, and was wondering if there's a
>> way to rebond the item. Al used to suggest rebonding at the factory if the
>> belt became stretched, and I wondered if there's a simple method, or if it's
>> just more reasonable to buy a new one? I also noticed that Kreitler no
>> longer has a lifetime warranty. Do they honor the lifetime warranties on
>> the old units, for the original owner? (No, I don't expect that to cover
>> the belt.)
>>

>try loctite 404.


I've had excellent success with turntable and cassette belts adjusting a new
belt to size using a very clean fresh cut and a very fresh drop of super glue.
It welds synthetic rubber belts nicely.

No idea if it would work on the Kreitler.

Ron
 
F

Freewheeling

Guest
Thanks. I question whether rubber would have the same lifespan as urethane.
Actually, since a new belt is around $20 I'll probably buy that eventually.
In the mean time, though, I'll rebond this one and see how it holds up.
It's possible that the material has fatigued, although the only break is at
the point where the previous bond was located. At the very least I can
continue to use the rollers while waiting for the new belt to arrive.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Try searching O rings. In the UK, I found (or at least someone on
uk.d-i-y found)...

http://www.polymax.co.uk/mainf­rame rubber products.htm

They sent me 3, incl Tax & p&p for about £10 Stg. (~$20 ish)

HTH,
M