Is LA riding the Tour because JU is overweight

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by tcklyde, Feb 17, 2005.

1. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Procycling mag, March 2005:

"Our sources in Majorca suggested that, judging by Ullrich's waisteline, one pair of bathroom scales had a lucky escape. Lance Armstrong and the Discovery Channel ... asked one contact on the ground to dispatch a photo of Ullrich straight to team HQ ..."

So is Discovery thinking, hey, get it when the getting is good?

Tags:

2. BanditManDan

BanditManDan New Member

Isn't Jan always overweight (or at the least out of shape) at the beginning of the season?

3. Perro Loco

Perro Loco New Member

When is Jans first race?

4. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

I think T-Mobile announced Murcia, at the beginning of March.

5. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

The problem is that he is also always 2nd (or, now, 4th).

6. ElRamon

ElRamon New Member

Roger Hammond said he fell in one of the early season races, but escaped injury because his fall was cushioned by landing on a slightly overweight Jan!! :)

7. ~LongRider~

~LongRider~ New Member

I think Lance has alot of other competition this year. Not Tyler, however. :D

8. Ruff_Ryder

Ruff_Ryder New Member

how pissed off must Jan Ullrich be. seriously, he will have to retire with all them 2nds under his belt simply because of Lance Armstrong. he's been so unlucky, its kinda harsh.

9. leegregory

leegregory New Member

LA is riding the tour because he is going to win it. I for one can't wait till he retires so we can look forward to a more exciting TDF, I admire Lance for what he has achieved but we seem to be going through the Miguel Indurain Syndrome again ( I cheered when he retired ) when one person dominates for years on End. It can be likened to Schumacher in F1, you know who's going to win even before they turn up.

No one person should ever be bigger than the greatest race on earth but sadly it looks like it's going that way. I was looking forward to Tyler Hamilton one day winning the race but that looks like a distant dream, the new crop of young English guys on the continent are starting to show promise and with UK Cycling getting additional funding we may just be able to start showing some promise, just hope they don't all end up like Millar. It's been a long time since the Brits have been able to cheer someone on in the TDF may that day come sooner rather than later. :)

One thing is for sure, for the greatest sport on earth to survive we need excitement and riders with character, Just can't really see any in the Pro Peleton at the moment.

Where have all the characters gone? :(

10. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I can't seem to find a current photo of Jan. I thought I saw him earlier this year, in January, looking very slim. He was standing with his team, including Kloden and Vinokourov, and it looked like Kloden was the one wearing a special jersey designating him as team leader. However, the telecast was in Russian, and my Russian is not good enough to tell whether the photo was current. The Kloden question was another one in my mind, whether he was then assuming leadership or not.

11. rob of the og

rob of the og New Member

here they are at the end of January:

http://www.t-mobile-team.com/cms/tm...rID=2005/monthID=0/itemID=45392/id=41212.html

Jan looks ok to me.

Kloeden's 'special jersey' denotes him as champion of Germany, rather than as team leader or anything.

12. musette

musette New Member

LA is riding the tour because he is competitive and believes he can enhance his record to 7 victories. Also, he committed to his sponsor that he would ride either the 05 or the 06, and it's a lot less risky to ride the 05 than get older by another year and ride the 06.

13. micron

micron New Member

Maybe Ullrich will ride the Tour because Armstrong looks like a whale - anybody see him trundle his spare tyre round the prologue course in Paris-Nice?

14. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Couldn't really tell what his weight looked like but that was one hell of a lousy prologue.

Of course, a 4km TT in March doesn't mean much when it comes to predicting the Tour.

15. musette

musette New Member

LA: "The Tour is my favorite race, which I owe everything to, for which I live," he said of his decision to compete again.

This echoes Godefroot's comment that LA lives to cycle in the Tour, but JU cycles to live. :D

16. leegregory

leegregory New Member

There's 5 months to go, anything can happen......

17. sportzgurl

sportzgurl New Member

He looks ok to me. I have had a look on google image search and I have found a real shocker. He looks so overwieght its not funny!! Well, actually it is funny! But at the moment he looks ok to me.